Cobra Clubs out at Golf Galaxy

Mr. 73, there he is

Haha, a guy has his best round in 5 years and is never going to live it down! #ClubChamp!

With PGA Superstore across the street from my local Dick's and Golf Galaxy I can honestly say I dont think Ive bought a single thing from them since PGASS opened. This doesnt sound good for Cobra to be honest but I guess the truth is more complicated then the speculation.

With PGA Superstore across the street from my local Dick's and Golf Galaxy I can honestly say I dont think Ive bought a single thing from them since PGASS opened. This doesnt sound good for Cobra to be honest but I guess the truth is more complicated then the speculation.

I am really curious to get more details about this, but I am wonder how much product Cobra or Mizuno put through this particular retailer.

Is it because Cobra (and possibly Mizuno) wouldn't agree to trading terms that Dicks/GG was asking for or Dicks/GG just analyzing revenue by brand and deciding that they would be better served taking the floor space that is allocated to Cobra and putting out more Callaway/Taylormade/etc?

Or is it another reason? These are the most likely to me, but again I have zero idea just know that the Cobra folks we talked to seemed to be very pleased with the movement on the F7 Iron lines and it sounded like Cobra was working overtime to fill orders when they ran the BOGO promotion on Drivers/FW or Hybrids this summer.

Will stay tuned to find out.

I know that Cobra has sold a boatload of one length product. I suspect they've done well with the F7 line as well.

I also know Dick's and GG has sucked donkey every single time I've stepped inside their doors or bought from them online.

This sounds bad for Cobra, but I wonder if there's more to this than meets the eyes.

I am really curious to get more details about this, but I am wonder how much product Cobra or Mizuno put through this particular retailer.

Is it because Cobra (and possibly Mizuno) wouldn't agree to trading terms that Dicks/GG was asking for or Dicks/GG just analyzing revenue by brand and deciding that they would be better served taking the floor space that is allocated to Cobra and putting out more Callaway/Taylormade/etc?

Or is it another reason? These are the most likely to me, but again I have zero idea just know that the Cobra folks we talked to seemed to be very pleased with the movement on the F7 Iron lines and it sounded like Cobra was working overtime to fill orders when they ran the BOGO promotion on Drivers/FW or Hybrids this summer.

Will stay tuned to find out.

This is the same company that blamed TM for holding a gun to their head and ordering too much product.

This is the same company that blamed TM for holding a gun to their head and ordering too much product.

That is why I don't know if this is a Dicks/GG decision. Could be, or could be that Cobra didn't like something. Not sure, but that is quite a few outlets that Cobra would not be in.

That is why I don't know if this is a Dicks/GG decision. Could be, or could be that Cobra didn't like something. Not sure, but that is quite a few outlets that Cobra would not be in.

Read elsewhere where Dicks employees said that were taking out Cobra and Mizuno from their stores to make room for more soft goods and keeping the big 3 (TM, Ping and Callaway) plus their house brands.

I can't see this being very good for Cobra of it is true. Anytime you lose exposure it has to hurt to some extent. I really hope I'm wrong though because Cobra is a pretty great company.

The last time I was at a Golf Galaxy I saw the same thing; one tiny Cobra display and the irons were marked down. I found that funny because in the spring they were pushing really hard on how great the Cobra lineup was.

Maybe it is just hard times in the sports equipment industry overall? I have seen a lot of closings in my area. In my town Walmart has some accessories but no clubs. We have a Dunham's but they haven't carried anything current in years. Surrounding cities have DSG'S and a couple of high quality mom and pop stores. Also you can buy direct from Cobra which probably holds down the price DSG and GG can charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Maybe it is just hard times in the sports equipment industry overall? I have seen a lot of closings in my area. In my town Walmart has some accessories but no clubs. We have a Dunham's but they haven't carried anything current in years. Surrounding cities have DSG'S and a couple of high quality mom and pop stores. Also you can buy direct from Cobra which probably holds down the price DSG and GG can charge.

Brick & Mortar Retail is dead.

Probably a lot to the soft goods comment. The folks who seek out a cobra or Miz product, probavbly want a fitting experience that GG/Dicks cant give them. Why keep that inventory? Keep a couple of big names with half baked in store fittings, and move more retail space to insane high margin soft goods.

I can't think the last time I a bought a (new) club in GG. but I am routinely picking up some soft good, grips, balls that probably makes them more moeny per unit than any golf club ever would.

Yes everything is going to online sales. You can even get customized lies, lofts, grip tape wraps, etc from Cobra can't get that from a big box store. We were warned about the end of cash sales 2000 years ago. Kind of hard to be a nay sayer when you see it happening before your own eyes.

This came up for me personally last week as I wanted to order one single King OS iron and went to both Dick's and GG and both said they will not be carrying Cobra any longer.

Sucks, as in my area, there is no other Golf retailers at all now that Golfsmith is gone. I get the online thing, but I like to try clubs out before making the investment in them.

Just one more reason I don't shop at Golf Galaxy. I personally like Cobra and Adams clubs and Golf Galaxy only has a limited amount of Cobra's and no Adams.

Just one more reason I don't shop at Golf Galaxy. I personally like Cobra and Adams clubs and Golf Galaxy only has a limited amount of Cobra's and no Adams.

The Adams part makes sense. Since TM bought them they really haven't came out with anything new. Just what was already in the pipeline when the acquisition occurred (XTD and Blue/Red lines).

curious if something bigger is going on with Cobra. My local fitting center said their Cobra rep has been pretty hit and miss lately. Comments like "if you can get ahold of him", "if he ever calls back", "if he ever shows up" being thrown around.

The Adams part makes sense. Since TM bought them they really haven't came out with anything new. Just what was already in the pipeline when the acquisition occurred (XTD and Blue/Red lines).

Golf Galaxy didn't even bother to carry Adams Red or Blue lines even when they were new

Amazon, a silent killer... I also have to wonder why manufacturers would compete directly against thei retailers by offering direct sales on line. Maybe I am just not knowledgeable enough about retail.

I was just at the one in St. Paul MN and almost pulled the trigger on a F7+ for $195.

Cobra Clubs out at Golf Galaxy

Along the same lines, my local GG only carries Cleveland wedges in stock. No sign of putters or the new iron lines. No Srixon anymore either other than balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was in my local Golf Galaxy last night and there was one pair of Puma shoes in the store. I asked about it and the guy said they are not getting any Puma shoes anymore.

Last edited:
Seems as though Golf Galaxy chooses to only carry those clubs which have the largest mark-up.

Seems as though Golf Galaxy chooses to only carry those clubs which have the largest mark-up.

From a pure business perspective it makes tons of sense. Carry clubs that have a high margin of profit and that will turn over quickly. But I also think that is why I haven't bought any clubs from them in over a decade. I got my first fitting at a Golf Galaxy and it worked out, but only golf items I have bought since have been at Dick's and that is usually online because of a sale (Golf balls is all I can remember).

If your only business is the casual fan for clubs, my guess is you are missing out on a LOT of business. But I don't know the ins and outs of their sales so impossible for me to judge.

Back