Cobra S2 vs Cleveland CG7

braveheart

Reaction score
Handicap
I have narrowed down my choice of a new set of irons to these two. I am looking to use a light weight steel shaft this year. I have hit the CG7 with some kind of Cleveland True Temper Action Lite type shaft and they feel nice. I am waiting to hit the S2s with Nippon 1030H shafts. I have hit S9s (sweet and long) with Nippons. Does anybody have any feedback, thoughts or ratings that could help me with my selection?
I am new here and look forward to participating more this season. Thanks in advance.

Mike

I have narrowed down my choice of a new set of irons to these two. I am looking to use a light weight steel shaft this year. I have hit the CG7 with some kind of Cleveland True Temper Action Lite type shaft and they feel nice. I am waiting to hit the S2s with Nippon 1030H shafts. I have hit S9s (sweet and long) with Nippons. Does anybody have any feedback, thoughts or ratings that could help me with my selection?
I am new here and look forward to participating more this season. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Played both and found the CG7s more forgiving for my game. And if you are talking about the BP version, my personal preference to looks is with those. The Cobras are solid irons, but they felt muted to me at impact. Like a weird harshness. Just my thoughts though.

I would just go with your gut. Whichever one feels better to you. Hey and Is your profile name have anything to do with the Atlanta Braves???? JW?

i felt the same way about the s2's as JB and im a fan of cobra clubs, love the way they look however.

i felt the same way about the s2's as JB and im a fan of cobra clubs, love the way they look however.

I liked the looks as well. But I am glad to see it was not just me. However, overall I wish they felt better because they were quite harsh.

I should be deciding this week as my pro/fitter gets the S2. I will let you know the results with feedback.

I went with the same two last year when I was buying new irons. I eventually ended up with the Clevelands, for no other reason than my first set of irons were Cleveland TA6's and I loved them. The two sets to me were very comparable with contact. I could have gone either way, but in the end I chose the CG7's and have been extremely happy with them.

For what it's worth, I play a Cobra driver and a 3+ wood.

I would just go with your gut. Whichever one feels better to you. Hey and Is your profile name have anything to do with the Atlanta Braves???? JW?
No, it has to do with my favorite movie.

I went with the same two last year when I was buying new irons. I eventually ended up with the Clevelands, for no other reason than my first set of irons were Cleveland TA6's and I loved them. The two sets to me were very comparable with contact. I could have gone either way, but in the end I chose the CG7's and have been extremely happy with them.

For what it's worth, I play a Cobra driver and a 3+ wood.

Similar story. When I began to play golf 7 years ago, my first set of irons were Cleveland TA5's. I loved them too. Ive been playing with Ping I3+s the last two seasons and although I love how they feel, the graphite regular and too much upright lie angle is not good for me. I need stiff with a flatter lie angle so its time for a new set of sticks.
Do your CG7s have the stock steel shaft?

By the way, I am new here and I appreciate the helpful remarks from all of you. Been a regular on two other forums but I like the attitude here. Thanks!

I currently play the Cleveland CG7 Tour with TTDG X100 and have been more then pleased with them. I tried out several different lines when looking at clubs and the clevelands just had a great mix of workability and forgiveness.

Similar story. When I began to play golf 7 years ago, my first set of irons were Cleveland TA5's. I loved them too. Ive been playing with Ping I3+s the last two seasons and although I love how they feel, the graphite regular and too much upright lie angle is not good for me. I need stiff with a flatter lie angle so its time for a new set of sticks.
Do your CG7s have the stock steel shaft?

The shafts I have are stock stiff steel. The problem I was running into before was that they were standard length and I needed at least +1 1/2. I played some slingshots the last couple of years that were nice, but I always had a thing for Cleveland's. Was on a project last year where I basically worked 12+ hours a day for 6 straight weeks, so I treated myself to the Cleveland's. Really like the CG7's.

S2 Irons

S2 Irons

I have never it the S2 irons but I love my Cobra UFI irons with the Nippon shafts. They are long and have a silky pure feeling for me. They are the best irons I have ever played. They make a "swoosh" sound when contact is made and my playing companions always make comments about how great that shot sounded. They say stuff like "man that shot sounded pured or solid"!

Let me know how you like the S2's. I have wanted to try them in myself however have not had the opportunity yet. Always try the stuff out, then go with your heart. Clubs, especially irons, can be a very personal item. Good feel and confidence in your hands is worth a ton:eek:)

I just put the CG7 BP's in my bag, only 3 rounds so far but I'm highly impressed by these irons. The ball flight is long with a flat trajectory. I'm up 3/4 of a club up with this set - switched from the R9's - but most importantly the clubs are consistent in terms of distance, flight, feel. I'm more of a picker, the R9's with their higher COG didn't fit my swing, whereas these irons do the trick. So far I'm excited about them.

I just put the CG7 BP's in my bag, only 3 rounds so far but I'm highly impressed by these irons. The ball flight is long with a flat trajectory. I'm up 3/4 of a club up with this set - switched from the R9's - but most importantly the clubs are consistent in terms of distance, flight, feel. I'm more of a picker, the R9's with their higher COG didn't fit my swing, whereas these irons do the trick. So far I'm excited about them.

Thanks. I tend to pick or sweep the ball more than dig so maybe these are a good fit. Won't know which is best till my fitting hopefully next week.

I have never it the S2 irons but I love my Cobra UFI irons with the Nippon shafts. They are long and have a silky pure feeling for me. They are the best irons I have ever played. They make a "swoosh" sound when contact is made and my playing companions always make comments about how great that shot sounded. They say stuff like "man that shot sounded pured or solid"!

Let me know how you like the S2's. I have wanted to try them in myself however have not had the opportunity yet. Always try the stuff out, then go with your heart. Clubs, especially irons, can be a very personal item. Good feel and confidence in your hands is worth a ton:eek:)

Well, after some lengthy fitting sessions, I have decided on getting the Cobra S2 with Nippon Steel 1030H stiff shafts. I did like the Cleveland CG7 and can switch to them if I find out that the Cobras are not working for me. Pro/fitter was very good and it was a nice gesture that I hope I don't have to take him up on. I just was not as pleased with the feel of the Speed light stock steel shaft. As you stated, good feel and confidence in your hands matters quite a bit.
The Nippon Steel shafts helped me make my decision. Nice feel to them as they are a touch lighter than other steel offerings and heavier than the stock graphite I had considered. Swing speed is high so the steel keeps dispersion and flyers at a minimum.
Further feedback will follow when I get to play them on a course. Hopefully, next week.

S2 Irons

S2 Irons

I will be interested to see how the S2's work for you.... Thanks for the update and have a fun 2010 golf season.

P.S. I am going to a Cobra fitting session in Macon, Ga this month. I will be hitting the S2's and S2 forged. I have befriended a Master Club Fitter for Cobra and he highly recommended the S2 driver!

I will be interested to see how the S2's work for you.... Thanks for the update and have a fun 2010 golf season.

P.S. I am going to a Cobra fitting session in Macon, Ga this month. I will be hitting the S2's and S2 forged. I have befriended a Master Club Fitter for Cobra and he highly recommended the S2 driver!

Played my first round with my set of S2 irons. Tremendous. Very pleased as they are easy to hit and definitely a club longer. I had a hooking problem with too upright, too light graphite irons before and these with a flat lie angle and Nippon steel shafts are much better for me. 4 iron is tough to hit right now so I may trade that in for the sand wedge if I can't dial it in.

Thanks for the update. I should have my S2's in the next few days so I can get them dialed in for the Georgia outing. Looking forward to hitting the S2 driver with different shafts at Cobra demo day this Saturday in Macon.

Let me know how they work out for you. Have fun!

Back