College sports has been ruined by paying them

Has College Sports been ruined by paying players?

• Yes

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters

AndyL0711

I Need To Play Some Golf!!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Paying the players has ruined college sports. With all the transfer portal guys year after year, it's all about who's going to pay me. It should remind some of the MLB thread, where people say teams are trying to buy championships and small market teams can not compete with the big spenders (at least when it comes to trying to buy championships)

Ill also add: Just listening to the interviews of these players. It's just sad to hear them speak. What, 95+% will never play any kind of professional sport, but everyone of them thinks they are going to make the pros. They just let a golden gift of a free education go to waste. I guess we will always need McDonald's workers. Not that there is anything wrong with working at a fast food place....I worked at Wendy's when I was in college.

Not ruined but made worse. Implementing some controls and regulations could bring some sense to it.

Paying the players has ruined college sports. With all the transfer portal guys year after year, it's all about who's going to pay me. It should remind some of the MLB thread, where people say teams are trying to buy championships and small market teams can not compete with the big spenders (at least when it comes to trying to buy championships)

Ill also add: Just listening to the interviews of these players. It's just sad to hear them speak. What, 95+% will never play any kind of professional sport, but everyone of them thinks they are going to make the pros. They just let a golden gift of a free education go to waste. I guess we will always need McDonald's workers. Not that there is anything wrong with working at a fast food place....I worked at Wendy's when I was in college.
It’s brought a lot of the issues that were going on already to the surface and in full public view.

The transfer portal is just a trainwreck in its current form.

The combination has things moving in a bad direction. Either a semipro league will have to spin off which is all kinds of legal issues. Or congress will have to step in.

Escalating salaries of football and basketball players along with tv contracts will indirectly kill 90% of other college sports.

There no longer seems to be the pride in the school there used to be. It’s all about how much playing time will I get and how much NIL money are you going to pay me. And if I don’t get what I expected I’ll hit the portal next year and try somewhere else.

It’s brought a lot of the issues that were going on already to the surface and in full public view.

The transfer portal is just a trainwreck in its current form.

The combination has things moving in a bad direction. Either a semipro league will have to spin off which is all kinds of legal issues. Or congress will have to step in.

Escalating salaries of football and basketball players along with tv contracts will indirectly kill 90% of other college sports.
Agreed. Money is the biggest problem. Only football and basketball generate revenue. The portal and NIL without regulation are huge issues going forward. But compensation and allowing players to decide where they want to play may be viewed as a fair trade off for the amount of money that schools are generating from these players.

College sports was ruined by huge TV contracts for the schools and conferences and adults trying to convince themselves it’s still amateur sports.

All for the students being able to make money off their efforts instead of being funneled into others.

That said, as a fan, I find myself much less interested in college athletics because of it, or maybe better stated because of how it’s currently implemented

College sports were ruined WELL before NIL.

Edit: not college sports, et all. Just football and basketball.

Agreed. Money is the biggest problem. Only football and basketball generate revenue. The portal and NIL without regulation are huge issues going forward. But compensation and allowing players to decide where they want to play may be viewed as a fair trade off for the amount of money that schools are generating from these players.
There should be places for these kids to go make money at this age if they are good enough.

NBA is at least trying with the G league and there are overseas options.

NFL has abused the NCAA system in a defacto minor league with no effort to do anything otherwise. The greed of administrators and schools has allowed it. Problem is there is no other options after graduating high school for kids who deserve or want to get paid rather than use their talent for free education.
College sports should be amateur athletics. Not a semi-professional feeder league for the NFL.

I don't really feel anything has changed at all as far as basketball is concerned. What's the difference between 1 and does and the transfer portal? If anything NIL money might be convincing some guys to stay for another year.

All I know is the kids should most certainly be getting paid, but the system needs work.

I don't think it's been ruined by paying players. I think it brings out some issues that need to be worked on.

The transfer portal is the bigger issue right now. Teams are basically made up of 1 year free agents every year. Not only do they need to recruit for new players, they need to recruit their current team as well. It's swung too far.

But this is a better situation for players than 30 years ago. Then a player would commit to a team, have the team switch coaches and playing styles, and be viewed as a loser/bad seed for transferring. At least now the players have power in their corner with the ability to seek out a team that will value them.

And I don't think this changes what teams will win championships at all. It will still be the same teams winning that won previous to paying players. Marshall isn't going to decide to pay out millions of dollars to win a title.

The NCAA is pretty broken now , but always was. I've said this a lot but sometimes doing what is "right" doesn't always work either.

Was it right for coaches to make 10M a year, for NCAA execs to make millions on TV deals etc, while Bryce Young was delivering food for Uber eats while playing QB for Alabama? No. Was it right that Zion brought millions to the NCAA but could have come away with only an insurance payout if he blew his knee....also no

But this also sucks. The transfer portal sucks....why even pretend these guys even go to the school? Some schools half the team is in the portal. The bowl games other than the top ones aren't worth watching. It's like pickup games at the Y now

And as is usually the case, the top people will ruin it for everyone else. 99% of NCAA athletes will never play pro, and for those guys a scholarship for a free education is actually a great thing (my sister and myself were both offered scholarships to NCAA schools---and trust me my parents were happy about that! For 99% of people a free education is amazing and saves thousands of dollars for your family)

But look at what happens now, like at places like Colorado where "coach prime" comes in and says you all suck and i'm pulling your scholarships and giving them to better players because we're big time now. Also lost in there are people that genuinely wanted an education and now have to transfer to Montana State or something to keep getting one.

It sucks for the fan and for 99% of athletes. Seems to only be good for the top 1%.....But hey that sounds familiar LOL

I don't really feel anything has changed at all as far as basketball is concerned. What's the difference between 1 and does and the transfer portal? If anything NIL money might be convincing some guys to stay for another year.

All I know is the kids should most certainly be getting paid, but the system needs work.

NIL you could argue has been great for women's basketball so far. Caitlyn Clark arguably stayed because of it. I'm sure Paige Bueckers is staying another year because of it. So it's worked for them and the girls

But like others sports, they could eventually become victims of their own success. I would imagine over time, schools like South Carolina, LSU and UConn will just take everyone every year, and there will casualties like what i talk about above

I’m not against them getting paid. Being paid means a modest amount to offset the time spent. Being a college athlete isn’t as easy as some might think. My son played college basketball. It’s a job. Workouts practice studies. It’s a full time job. Yes they get scholarship money but paying them a modest amount over and above that would have been fine.

The current system has no limits or for that matter any rules that govern all schools. NIL rules are set by states. How is that fair when trying to recruit athletes. Nearly every athletes first question now during recruiting is what can you pay me.

Don’t even get me started on the portal.

Paying them hasn’t ruined the system it’s how they are payed that has.

Pardon my ignorance on this subject. I thought that the “getting paid” meant an athlete could do a Nike commercial (or whatever) and not that the college was paying them a salary?

Pardon my ignorance on this subject. I thought that the “getting paid” meant an athlete could do a Nike commercial (or whatever) and not that the college was paying them a salary?

That is correct---However in many cases the colleges are the ones arranging for the NIL deals.

Like if you want to recruit a top QB in the transfer portal, you need to have a few deals waiting for him

I think the portal helps the women's game as they have so many ACL injuries that put key players out for a year.

I’m not against them getting paid. Being paid means a modest amount to offset the time spent. Being a college athlete isn’t as easy as some might think. My son played college basketball. It’s a job. Workouts practice studies. It’s a full time job. Yes they get scholarship money but paying them a modest amount over and above that would have been fine.

The current system has no limits or for that matter any rules that govern all schools. NIL rules are set by states. How is that fair when trying to recruit athletes. Nearly every athletes first question now during recruiting is what can you pay me.

Don’t even get me started on the portal.

Paying them hasn’t ruined the system it’s how they are payed that has.

Good points, a little extra cash for pizza after practice, or a bag of popcorn on a date, is not a big deal. But, the portal, NIL, conference changes, are outrageous but money rules. Can't wait until NIL comes to high school. Better yet, I might have to ask SWMBO today to pay me NIL money.

should make them ineligible for at least 12 months from a transfer

Love to see some college kids who use the college to actually get that "Free Education"
Animated GIF

should make them ineligible for at least 12 months from a transfer

Or just ineligible if they’re in the portal. Commit to 4 years of college, as in that’s your contract, and you can put your picture on a Wheaties box.

That is correct---However in many cases the colleges are the ones arranging for the NIL deals.

Like if you want to recruit a top QB in the transfer portal, you need to have a few deals waiting for him
I suspect many “deals” are simply “come play here and I’ll give you X dollars for the rights to your NIL.”

Back