Columbus, Oh ...... Pros and Cons

Pro - you can play 3 rounds of golf at a top notch course for what you pay to play 1 round here at an average track.

Wife works for the VA and got a job offer to relocate to Columbus through the system. We would not entertain this but a couple of factors haveade us think twice. 1) we have friends there, 2) closer to family, 3) we need family help at times and we have zero help here in Phoenix.

My wife loves Phoenix and this makes this decision much more difficult. She's from the Midwest and understands the weather that comes with it. Any way.......pros and cons?

Wanna buy my house (ultimate BST story could be, 🤣. ). I’d provide seller feedback? 🤣.

Luck dude but do you wanna live that close to me? I’d think about it. The couple guys I know pretty well ain’t right (@Hamfist /good example).

For almost ten years, my current employer was merged with a company headquartered in Columbus, so I was out there four times annually for one or two nights. Most of the time was downtown, but I got the impression from coworkers and my observations that it was a good place to live, especially in the suburbs.

As home to OSU and the state capital, the economic base is fairly steady and the population tends to reflect some views and values more than others.

IIRC Columbus is now the largest city in OH.

Cons:
The Browns as a local football team
THE Ohio State University

Kidding about the Browns. I’m all about having help available when you need it. Things may calm down and you might not need it, but having help available is a stress reliever that positively impacts so many aspects of your quality of life. I’ve got nothing to add about the local area but wanted to add my 2 cents about the quality of life. As I’ve gotten “experienced” I’ve come to enjoy a less stressful life.

You're closer to playing golf with me 😁 (Not sure if that's a pro or con)

In all seriousness it's a very tough decision. Best of Luck to your and your Family on the process.

You're closer to playing golf with me 😁 (Not sure if that's a pro or con)

In all seriousness it's a very tough decision. Best of Luck to your and your Family on the process.

I’d take it as a positive. If you and I don’t golf in 2022, it’s my damn fault. We Need to make that happen.

I would hate to see you leave AZ, Sean. But, as your friend, I'll always want what is best for YOU and your family. I'm not going to lie, the one thing that I don't like about living in AZ is that I have no family here. So, if moving closer to family improves your overall quality of life, do it brother. I'd miss you tremendously but selfishly urging you to stay isn't a lane I'm willing to ride in if it's against your best interest. Good luck with your decision, my man.

Um…… it’s Columbus OH ferchrissakes.

Columbus is a great city with plenty of entertainment opportunities. There is an abundance of nice golf courses in and around the city. They have one of the best zoos in the USA. It is Ohio State country, but I like that! My daughter has lived in the Columbus area for over 20 years and she loves it.

I like it here. We have everything I would want and it isn't 110 in the summer. That being said, I've loved AZ in the times I've visited there.

Columbus doesn't take an hour to get from 1 side of the city to the other like Maricopa County can. Every major professional sport is close by within a 3 hour drive if not already in the city. We have the Memorial Tournament. Lots of major companies have headquarters or large offices here.
Yo.......way more than an hour to get a across Phoenix. I'm in Surprise, downtown is 30 miles away. On a weekend 30 minutes. During the week in traffic hour double it, if there is an accident......forget about it. That's not a complaint though, i knew that moving here. From my house to east Mesa off the 202, has taken me about an hour and 20 minutes to get there.

Pro - you can play 3 rounds of golf at a top notch course for what you pay to play 1 round here at an average track.
The way golf rounds have spiked around here I would agree.

I moved to Columbus about 10 years ago, so take my 2 cents for what its worth.
Pros:
medium size city thats easy to drive around. Traffic in Columbus is seldom to the point where its gridlock and the city isnt so big that its difficult to find your way around.
Ample Shopping. Theres plenty of stores and a wide selection of kinds of stores.
Location. Columbus is within a day's drive of a lot of major cities; Chicago, DC, Pittsburgh and Philly are all within a day's drive. Also, if you need to fly, the Columbus airport does flights to pretty much anywhere youd want to go and a lot of time they are direct flights.
Jobs. Theres lots of opportunity in Columbus, partly because its a central location for companies that do business on the east coast or midwest and partly because there are so many retail companies that are based here.

Cons:
Climate. If you cant stand cold winters, Columbus may not be for you. Ohio isnt the worst place in the worlds, winters here are certainly better than they are in Wisconsin or Minnesota but if you cant stand 5 months of cold weather, it may not be for you.
Crime. Columbus has had a major uptick in violent crimes in the past few years. Shootings are at a record high and break-ins are up the rise too. Columbus isnt super dangerous, IMO but it is a place where you would be wise to be aware of your surroundings at all times.
Bad drivers. I used to think that Illionois drivers were bad and then I moved to Ohio. People around here seem to have no understanding that other people are trying to get somewhere too and people often like to squat in the left lane and driver in other drivers' blind spots. They also like to tailgate, blow through red lights and seem to think that the highways are their own personal race track.
Buckeye fans. All Im going to say is that there is a reason why Ohio State fans are some of the most disliked fans in the world and many of them seem to be proud of it. They all seem to think that the world revolves around Ohio State, especially Ohio State football. If you move here, dont be surprised if they all just assume that youre going to become a Buckeye fan just because you move here.
All in all Columbus is a pretty cool city and Ohio isnt nearly as boring of a place as people think it is. Its really just a matter of if you cant stand the cold and learn to ignore Buckeye fans.
So I am from Colorado, winters in Denver could be harsh but rare. Also lived in the Mountains, so yeah that's a whole different ball game. For 6 years I live in NW Iowa, I thought Colorado mountain life would have prepared me. This was winter of 96/97 when I moved there. 80+ inches of snow. It was so effed up, I literally had no where to put the snow. One morning I woke up, opened the garage door, and had chest high snow. Christmas morning was -25 with a -80 wind chill. It was BRUTAL.

So I am from Colorado, winters in Denver could be harsh but rare. Also lived in the Mountains, so yeah that's a whole different ball game. For 6 years I live in NW Iowa, I thought Colorado mountain life would have prepared me. This was winter of 96/97 when I moved there. 80+ inches of snow. It was so effed up, I literally had no where to put the snow. One morning I woke up, opened the garage door, and had chest high snow. Christmas morning was -25 with a -80 wind chill. It was BRUTAL.
it would be really surprising to get to those levels in Columbus, fwiw

For almost ten years, my current employer was merged with a company headquartered in Columbus, so I was out there four times annually for one or two nights. Most of the time was downtown, but I got the impression from coworkers and my observations that it was a good place to live, especially in the suburbs.

As home to OSU and the state capital, the economic base is fairly steady and the population tends to reflect some views and values more than others.

IIRC Columbus is now the largest city in OH.

You are correct sir! Columbus has been growing like Topsy! It's a very nice city!

I hear you. I was born and raised in Wisconsin and lived there for 30 years. Ohio winters are nothing compared to what Im used to. If you lived in NW Iowa, you'll be fine here in Ohio.
I honestly miss Wisconsin winters sometimes because you would get enough snow for winter recreation. I used to do a lot of snowmobiling, cross country skiing and outdoor ice skating when I live in Wisconsin. We get a little snow here but its nothing like Wisconsin.
When I lived in Wisconsin, I had a big 2-stage gas Craftsman snowblower and I would often need it to clear 3' snow drifts in my driveway. Here in Ohio I have a little single stage, electric Greenworks snowblower and honestly, its probably overkill. Even still, it beats shoveling and the Greenworks can sit for years if need be and still would fire right up whenever I need it.

Columbus is a great city with plenty of entertainment opportunities. There is an abundance of nice golf courses in and around the city. They have one of the best zoos in the USA. It is Ohio State country, but I like that! My daughter has lived in the Columbus area for over 20 years and she loves it.
Thats the thing though. If you from Ohio, you love that its Buckeye country. If you not from Ohio, you hate it because Ohio State fans are some of the most annoying fans in the world.

Some people tolerate cloudy weather better than others, but Phoenix to Columbus is a big change for how much you will see that big orange ball in the sky.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 6.45.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-06 at 6.44.06 PM.png

I hear you. I was born and raised in Wisconsin and lived there for 30 years. Ohio winters are nothing compared to what Im used to. If you lived in NW Iowa, you'll be fine here in Ohio.
I honestly miss Wisconsin winters sometimes because you would get enough snow for winter recreation. I used to do a lot of snowmobiling, cross country skiing and outdoor ice skating when I live in Wisconsin. We get a little snow here but its nothing like Wisconsin.
When I lived in Wisconsin, I had a big 2-stage gas Craftsman snowblower and I would often need it to clear 3' snow drifts in my driveway. Here in Ohio I have a little single stage, electric Greenworks snowblower and honestly, its probably overkill. Even still, it beats shoveling and the Greenworks can sit for years if need be and still would fire right up whenever I need it.
I grew up in the Twin Cities, and even though we get on average 9 inches more snow in Cleveland (probably even more than that on the east side of town where I live) the snow never seems to stick around long enough to really get into a lot of snow sports like we did back home. It just doesn't stay cold enough here.

Decked out in TM today to feel a part of this amazing community and Granddaddy

I grew up in the Twin Cities, and even though we get on average 9 inches more snow in Cleveland (probably even more than that on the east side of town where I live) the snow never seems to stick around long enough to really get into a lot of snow sports like we did back home. It just doesn't stay cold enough here.

Maybe not now, but it used to. I called on the Heinen's grocery in Chardon, and there was one year where the giant piles of plowed snow, didn't melt until May!

Wife works for the VA and got a job offer to relocate to Columbus through the system. We would not entertain this but a couple of factors haveade us think twice. 1) we have friends there, 2) closer to family, 3) we need family help at times and we have zero help here in Phoenix.

My wife loves Phoenix and this makes this decision much more difficult. She's from the Midwest and understands the weather that comes with it. Any way.......pros and cons?
If it’s like all the other places in Ohio I’ve been:
Pro: it’s flat, easy golf walk
Con: it gets cold, and stays that way for a long time.

Back