Coming over the top

Grandpa K

Reaction score
Handicap
My shots have been very inaccurate with some big slices and other low pull hooks. I have been told on numerous occasions that I have an over the top move. I thought I had cured this problem but old habits sometimes creep back in without you realizing it. I played my first 9 holes yesterday and my shots were all over the place. I hit big slices then the next shot a low duck hook. No rhyme nor reason so I know something is wrong. The first thing I can think of is a problem that has haunted me in the past ..... the over the top move. I’m wondering if the over the top move can cause this. If so I’ve got some work to do but I’d like to hear what you guys think. Thank you for anybody that responds to help guide me.

I would focus on swing path. That was my focus when I felt that and had a playing partner tell me the same.

It very well could be.
At setup, try to swing like you are trying to hit a line drive to first base.

It very well could be.
Great mental picture! Thanks @JB

someone told me to also "widen" my take back vs. going inside.

Sounds like we might be brothers from another mother. I have done the OTT move in the past and I think once in a while it creeps back. For me, I just really have to tell myself to get that club coming from the inside. I try to hit the ball at about the 4 o'clock position. Usually, it takes care of itself, but it does rear its ugly head again from time to time.

It very well could be.

I like this...
I've always pictured hitting it to the second baseman, but at least we're in the same ballpark ! :)

I like this...
I've always pictured hitting it to the second baseman, but at least we're in the same ballpark ! :)
I like 2nd base better, too. I think I'd snap hook the ball if I tried to hit it to "first base".

My shots have been very inaccurate with some big slices and other low pull hooks. I have been told on numerous occasions that I have an over the top move. I thought I had cured this problem but old habits sometimes creep back in without you realizing it. I played my first 9 holes yesterday and my shots were all over the place. I hit big slices then the next shot a low duck hook. No rhyme nor reason so I know something is wrong. The first thing I can think of is a problem that has haunted me in the past ..... the over the top move. I’m wondering if the over the top move can cause this. If so I’ve got some work to do but I’d like to hear what you guys think. Thank you for anybody that responds to help guide me.
OTT causes exactly these shots - you either try to save it with your hands and hit slices, or you continue to release and hit snap/pull hooks. I speak from experience... lol I've struggled with OTT my whole life and I will still let it creep in on rare occasions.

There are SO many vids on YouTube dealing with it and I'd head there first. For me, a ground up downswing sequence and getting that right elbow into my side on the downswing are very helpful. That OTT feeling of ripping hard with your shoulders from the top feels right and it feels strong; but it's a killer!

It very well could be.
I like this. Never heard it put like this but is something I will do because this is also something I battle.

Thanks guys. I got to get to work on it now. I appreciate your thoughts and tips.

My natural swing is a little inside out, so the hook was always my nemesis and the draw my natural shot.
Sometimes the driver double crosses me with a dead push that tries to come back but can't quite do it. Or hits a tree before it can.

Never mastered a fade, but anybody can hit a big banana slice on purpose...just cast over the top!
That move always felt unnatural to me...like something I had to do on purpose... but to many, it's something that they have to fight.

I totally get the hitting to the opposite field analogy mentioned above. That's what inside out is, I guess.

This is a favorite drill I use whenever I start getting too over the top.

I think it's best to start with grip, alignment and posture. those can sneak up on you without realizing it. once those are good, you can start to work on face-to-path.

Shawn Clement thinks that OTT is a target focus issue and although I could mention all sorts of biomechanical movements to stop an OTT (ie. like right shoulder downplane, with right arm adduction and pitch elbow with some added left lateral flexion) , I think his concept will work better and take less effort to implement. :)

Basically you are swinging your own swing to meet your focused external task rather than pre-empting what your swing needs to look like from an aesthetic perspective. I like his suggestion about getting an intermediate target, seeing the blur of the clubhead over that target to meet your judged intent . If that all seems okay and you end up slicing or hooking the ball , then just tweak your grip/clubface relationship.

Last edited:
Thank you to all who responded and helped me out. I’ve looked at some things online but does anybody have any drills that have helped them cure the problem. The OTT move seems to be ingrained right now and I need to do some drills to overcome it. Other than the one zbeekner4 gave me ....... which is great.

Back