Common issues after some time off

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
For various reasons most of us have to take some extended time off from practicing/playing. What common swingfaults/set up issues arise?

For me it's all about balance. Last time my weight was on my heels, causing inconsistent contact. Another issue is sometimes setting up too far from the ball.

As I have less time to practice, want to get into the habit of tracking common issues so that when I do get out there can quickly implement fixes.

Lack of feel around the green.
Myself, I also usually have some timing issues with my swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

short game is the part that suffers most for me. it's remarkable how quickly touch/feel can go away.

Definitely short game. I lose all touch with chipping and putting.

Actually, everytime I take a break from golf for any period I seem to come back with improvements in my swing and balance. I recently took a month off after having some personal issues and frustrations and I shot two rounds in the low 70s. I felt like I had a bit of clarity.

Coming off a break I seem to not be as aggressive with the swing and play better. Just wish I could maintain that thought...that poor ball never sees it coming sometimes.

Ball position and tempo are two concerns for me after the winter layoff but chipping and my short game feel are always the last to come back in spring.

For me it's everything until I can get my timing and feel back on line. Too many corrections for the wrong things because of these issues.

short game.....chipping......1st thing to go.

Short game and driver is where I struggle if I haven't been playing/practicing

Touch on and around the greens. My speed control is awful for about 10-11 holes and chips roll out too much

ball contact. I tend to hit everything fat if I haven't played in a while.

Over rotating always. Swing gets too long and off balance.

Timing/sequencing always seems to be what I struggle with after some layoff

Tempo on swings gets me a lot takes a bit to get in the flow and also syncing my upper and lower body

Actually, everytime I take a break from golf for any period I seem to come back with improvements in my swing and balance. I recently took a month off after having some personal issues and frustrations and I shot two rounds in the low 70s. I felt like I had a bit of clarity.
I seem to have a similar experience with my full swings but the short game goes to hell. Usually after taking a break I hit more fairways than ever.

Short game touch, putting speed control are the two biggest issues for me.

Ironically I think sometimes a long break helps my full swing as I don't think to much and just swing. Strange but it has happened enough times where there is something to it for me.

I'm constantly pitching and chipping in the house year round so i'd have to say full iron swing is what takes a little time after a layoff.

For me, chipping and pitching is the first thing to go and last to come back. Also my swing has a tendency to get long, so it takes me a few rounds before I notice I'm doing it again.

What doesn't go away?

Lack of feel around the green.
Myself, I also usually have some timing issues with my swing.

This is me as well. No touch from 50 yards and in.

Timing/rotation, first couple holes I will leave everything out to the right.

Back