Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
staying home every night and not interacting with other people isn’t what life should be like. Humans clearly aren’t meant for this. I know it’s part of the deal but just venting a bit

At a hospital in our province, a nurse worked in the emergency ward for wait for it ....... 4 SHIFTS with symptoms.

Has now tested positive. How. The. Hell. Does. That. Happen. Hundreds of people potentially exposed.

The first Covid death at the company my wife works for happened today. She was in her 50’s and went to a hospital in CT for another medical issue and got the virus while she was there. Very sad.

Agree. But you gonna close the courses you should be closing the city trails too.
Yeah... Don't know the trails. But if these are normal narrow trails so even if one spaces appropriately single file one way, but hikers on the way back don't have room to keep 6 feet away, then we're agreed there too.

My wife is an internal medicine resident in Central PA and she is “at risk” every day meaning they can call her into the hospital at any time if they need more hands on deck.

The good news is I was able to get the essentials at the store tonight - milk, bread, chocolate milk, beer!

Louisiana's confirmed cases (5237) went up 30% and deaths (239) went up 29% on Tuesday alone.

Several local contracting firms have started laying off people. Got a call from a former coworker who is now looking for a job. That almost unimaginable in this current situation..

staying home every night and not interacting with other people isn’t what life should be like. Humans clearly aren’t meant for this. I know it’s part of the deal but just venting a bit
Can't go to the golf store and mess around with clubs or buy a putter...nnothing. this is like the Twilight Zone and I fear we've seen nothing yet...

My wife is an internal medicine resident in Central PA and she is “at risk” every day meaning they can call her into the hospital at any time if they need more hands on deck.

The good news is I was able to get the essentials at the store tonight - milk, bread, chocolate milk, beer!
I’m in the same boat as you, my wife is a PGY-3 in medicine here in North Jersey.

I’m in the same boat as you, my wife is a PGY-3 in medicine here in North Jersey.
Hang in there! They made it through med school and everything this challenging road has had to offer, they’re tough. I’m just here to support right now even more so than usual.

Province has informed us that all non-essential businesses have to close starting tomorrow until April 14th.
Our college, that will not allow students on campus, that has 90% of staff working from home, has found a way around things so that we can stay open.

I am pretty torn on this. We 100% should not be there. The college won't send us home with pay. You can ask for a layoff, but you then make 55% of your wage on unemployment. People working from home still get paid, but almost everyone at home is doing NOTHING.

We have been in non-essential mode here in Ontario since last Tuesday (24th?) however if you look at the list of essential businesses it's pretty easy to find a loophole. Like you, I feel quite strongly that some of the things that are still being allowed to operate undermine the efforts the rest of us are taking. I make my living off of new construction and renovations, however I believe that these should be shut down during this time unless they relate to either healthcare and/or transportation. A 30, 40, 50 unit condo where guys are working in close proximity with limited access to the necessary sanitation equipment should not be deemed essential IMO. I understand that no work = no pay, but think of the potential actions of one worker - hang kitchen cabinets with a coworker for 4 hours, stop for lunch and then load another shipment to the next floor together by hand (two to carry a cabinet). Finish shift, get a call from the wife, stop for groceries on the way home.....

Since my primary role at work is troubleshooting, field support and commissioning of equipment on job sites I expect and am fully prepared to be laid off or have my salary reduced at some point the longer this goes on. While it may make things uncomfortable in the short term, if in some small way it helps in the overall scheme of things I am happy to do my part.

That’s a very unselfish attitude @Junkyard.

There are a lot of sacrifices being made by millions and all we seem to hear or read about are the few who aren’t doing their part.

I read somewhere yesterday that an infant died from this crap. Not sure how true it is because so much data is off the wall these days, but if it is true that is very sad. Just another sickness to take away a life.

Our new Health Secretary (not sure how accurate his data is) just said that projections have April 15 as the peak date for the disease's propagation in the US, and beginning to flatten from there. In PR that date is May 8.

I have a colleague where the administration is not shutting down the program, or even taking many precautions.. it's a drug and alcohol treatment program with housing , so definitely essential , but not even precautions for staff, sick clients are still there, there's larger groups of people etc

One of the supervisors who's pregnant just left work on leave (or quit, couldn't discern which). It doesn't sound like they should still be open but as an essential service I guess they need to be

On other note, I volunteered to do brief crisis/de-escalation therapy for hospital staff who are experiencing mental stressors due to fighting this in the hospitals. Thankfully about 6 of my counselors are also doing this but we have 30k employees, it can probably get really intense

Our new Health Secretary (not sure how accurate his data is) just said that projections have April 15 as the peak date for the disease's propagation in the US, and beginning to flatten from there. In PR that date is May 8.
Projections for the US.

This gives some idea as to why Virginia's governor did what he did yesterday. I can't believe Virginia has fewer ICU beds available than both Mississippi and Alabama.

Last edited:
The National Golf Foiundationin the US surveyed 1009 golf courses to see the status with Covid 19. 74% still open in US . Here's a link to the report

Here's a link to Geoff Shackleford's article that brought me to the report. And a quote from him that points out some astounding points from the survey. Are folks running those courses really that stupid (or just that greedy) that they just don't get how important social distancing is in confined spaces especially?

For goodness sake people, even if you think golf can still be played safely with restrictions, tell your local course and/or the County etc. responsible to get them at least close dining and restrict access on sitte for social distancing. 100, 000 plus deaths minimum estimated from this wave (if everyone digs into safety) and this crap is still going on. Not looking pretty folks.

Link to Shackleford's column and this quote:

"The one genuinely confounding finding no matter how you feel about whether golf should be played right now: the number of surveyed courses NOT restricting access to confined spaces beyond the 87% for dining areas:
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.09.47 AM.png

"

Last edited:
So in my communist province of Saskatchewan, there are a few small cities with lots of towns and bedroom communities, quite spread out.
The gov't in their wisdom won't tell people which communities have cases of covid-19 because of privacy concerns, wtf!! How stupid is that?

my aunt's ex-husband was on a cruise recently, and has since tested positive. he is in the icu. in between that time, he told his son (my cousin) to come help move some furniture, and now my cousin has tested positive. in between that time, my cousin was still working as a mass transit operator in a college town, who knows how many people he was in contact with.

my father-in-law was out of the country and came back. woke up yesterday with symptoms, but went to er and everything seems to be ok.

this is feeling very real all of a sudden

my aunt's ex-husband was on a cruise recently, and has since tested positive. he is in the icu. in between that time, he told his son (my cousin) to come help move some furniture, and now my cousin has tested positive. in between that time, my cousin was still working as a mass transit operator in a college town, who knows how many people he was in contact with.

my father-in-law was out of the country and came back. woke up yesterday with symptoms, but went to er and everything seems to be ok.

It's amazing how much reach one person can have. One person can come in contact with dozens of people, who each come in contact with dozens of people, and so on and so on. The scary part is how you can spread it all while showing no symptoms and feeling otherwise healthy. Do you know how long it took to get their tests back? I am waiting to hear some good news on that front. I still feel like we're flying blind until they can test more people and get results back in a reasonable time.

They're still not testing people here unless they are very very sick. They get told to assume they have it and isolate for two weeks. I was going to the grocery store after work last night. As I was walking in, there was a nurse still in her scrubs walking out. Looked terrible. Coughing into her arm. Obviously ill with something. I know they are testing the health care workers. So, I can only hope she tested and was negative.

I hope it works out the best possible for all involved. I'm sure its surreal when it hits close to home, much less abstract I imagine.

Wimbledon is cancelled but U.S. Tennis Open says it will go on.

I just saw that about Wimbledon. I'm not a crazy Tennis fan, but I have always loved Wimbledon going back to the days when it was on HBO. It was always like my first or 2nd week of summer vacation. Used to watch in the mornings and then me and my buddies would go play tennis on days we didn't golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back