Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be over on 11/4 regardless of a vaccine or number of cases... 😎
Can we move that date up about 5 months. :ROFLMAO:

I really hate being the stay-at-home parent. I can handle it for a couple of days a week. Right now I am going insane. I have never wanted to work so much before.
I am struggling too. It isn’t fun. I’m jelly of my wife who gets to go into the office.

My gym is open. Was getting tired of only running.

If you didn't notice or catch on that it was primarily 65+ then I don't know what to tell you. It was in every age breakdown coming out of everywhere.
You are completely missing the point. I DIDN'T make policy decisions. Whatever I knew didn't change anything. It was the data those in "power" used to create the orders that the rest of us had to live by.

I know you guys go back and forth, but genuinely I took that as the idea of less control to states being fascist, not him calling you a fascist.

I do not want to go back and forth and assume the negative of someone. This thread has been having a decent discussion lately without much confliict or negatives. I'd like that to continue but it's up to the members as to how this goes.

The point was being made if you have 50 different deciders and not someone to lead, you get some chaos. In another post, I responded to your point in more detail, which was we need a leader to help set the agenda depending on who has the expertise and resources, and cooperate with each other - we learn from each other. Living in a vacuum (no working and learning together) does not help your people. That's it.

Last edited:
My gym is open. Was getting tired of only running.
Mine is too in ND. But, there are a few that are still restricted and in MN they cannot open. So, it's a bit of a mess there. Can't really lift just because they are constantly busy. I have used the treadmill a few times. But, I honestly enjoy running outdoors a lot more. Seem to get a better workout.

I do not want to go back and forth and assume the negative of someone. This thread has been having a decent discussion lately without much confliict or negatives. I'd like that to continue but it's up to the members as to how this goes.

The point was being made if you have 50 different deciders and not someone to lead, you get some chaos. In another post, I responded to your point in more detail, which was we need a leader to help set the agenda depending on who has the expertise and resources, and cooperate with each other - we learn from each other. Living in a vacuum (no working and learning together) does not help your people. That's it.
But in this instance it is more on the 50 decision makers as each state is COMPLETELY different. Then they need to delegate to the local level. Plus, who knows what the bad orange man and his teams are doing behind the scenes. Did you really think that at any point certain 24 hour "influencers" would say good job?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Now this would help with a lot of the babies coming too.

But in this instance it is more on the 50 decision makers as each state is COMPLETELY different. Then they need to delegate to the local level. Plus, who knows what the bad orange man and his teams are doing behind the scenes. Did you really think that at any point certain 24 hour "influencers" would say good job?

I can't get into the power of County Judges, etc. and their conflict with Governors - In Texas, Abbott says his word is law and puts pressure on the urban Judges to get to a consensus with some of these people. Of course, here, the Judges will say, "we are just following fed guideliines" But they are backing down to the pressure of the public and the Governor with letters and protests.

While I'm not calling BS on any individual experience, it's just not like that and hasn't been... not in Northern Michigan anyway. My son lives in Wayne County (Detroit area) and he's been able to buy stuff for the house and yard for quite a while now. It's not the first time I've heard rumors of over-the-top regulations so maybe "they" are a little tougher in some places than others.... or it's a bit of hyperbole.

As far as folks coming up to cottages, I see northbound traffic increase every Friday. Maybe at first people were hesitant, but the weather is just now getting perfect up here. Traveling up here in March and April isn't as common anyway. There were a lot of residents here freaking out that the "downstaters" would bring the virus up here. Honestly, if I lived in that area, had a cabin up north with my job being furloughed and the kids out of school, hell yes I'd bring them up to the cabin! Lol.

But yeah, as it seems to be in a few other states, the regulations are too much at this point in time. Keep in mind the state was behind only New York and New Jersey as far as deaths most of which where in Metro Detroit and the surrounding counties. I'm not defending the governor now, but I think she wanted to contain it initially - as she should have, IMO.

I couple of weeks ago I read that you could go into a Home Depot, walk by the section where seeds are sold, but couldn't purchase any of them as they were deemed non-essential and were roped off. I was flabbergasted by the utter stupidity of this.

You are completely missing the point. I DIDN'T make policy decisions. Whatever I knew didn't change anything. It was the data those in "power" used to create the orders that the rest of us had to live by.
Applies to them too. Even worse for them too since I would have to assume maybe incorrectly that they have access to even more information.

It seems like some places want to stay closed until there is a vaccine or the virus is gone. Both of which could be never.
Let them. Their population will be gone before the virus.

I can't get into the power of County Judges, etc. and their conflict with Governors - In Texas, Abbott says his word is law and puts pressure on the urban Judges to get to a consensus with some of these people. Of course, here, the Judges will say, "we are just following fed guideliines" But they are backing down to the pressure of the public and the Governor with letters and protests.
Then its time to let them remember who they work for. But we have become a nation of pu..... so that probably won't happen.

Then its time to let them remember who they work for. But we have become a nation of pu..... so that probably won't happen.

Texas doesn't have much of an issue - they are open -- at 50% for restaurants but a lot of them still don't do dining in; Gyms are open to 25%, Salons and nails have rules and regs for safety, they will probaby increase the percentage every two weeks; department stores can open to a limited capacity but some are remaining closed. I suspect if no breakouts occur, everything can be 100% by June 15.

We can even play sports on June 1 without fans.

Ultimately, you can educate people about health, safety and underlying conditions, but they will kill themselves anyway.

We've already seen a taste of what will happen as States open - some people have a death wish or is that a "right to live and get sick if I want, I'll take more chances" wish? Depends on your risk and conditions.

The opening up of 50% and gradually upwards with safety guidelines/required guidelines and masks makes sense as businesses adjust.

But you've got to allow people to make their own decisions, ask them to respect others, make laws to adjust to the new rules, and let them go...

Will people respect others or mock them for wearing a mask or for not going inside a restaurant? Some will, but that's bullying and I hope we are better than that. All you can do is educate, adjust and have people make their own decisions but require businesses to adhere to safety standards.

Last edited:
Now the CDC says C19 isn't easily transmitted via surface transfer. I get that we learn more as we go along but there have been some really frustrating twists and turns from our government agencies / experts. These back and forths erode public confidence and likely contribute to people saying #>$*% it, I'm doing whatever I want to do.

Now the CDC says C19 isn't easily transmitted via surface transfer. I get that we learn more as we go along but there have been some really frustrating twists and turns from our government agencies / experts. These back and forths erode public confidence and likely contribute to people saying #>$*% it, I'm doing whatever I want to do.

Absolutely. I would say this thread is a microcosm of that as well. We have had people just weeks ago saying we need to stay locked down until more testing and vaccines are here and doing a 180.

Basically every piece of data we received from the WHO was wrong from the beginning and it hasn't gotten much better, outside of Birx that continues to talk about being preventative.

It’s measuring risk. I favored a more data driven approach, but at this point you HAVE to open businesses back up. The cure can’t be more damaging than the disease. My hope is that testing will continue aggressively throughout and that businesses will be on top of their particular safety measures.

Just quoting this, as perhaps my opinion has been misinterpreted. I favored SIP with aggressive testing and tracing leading to a speedier re-opening. That's been my stance. SIP for this long was never my intention. Felt the need to quote since I did favor SIP early on, but never mentioned not reopening quickly. I wish there had been more testing; more data would help deflate anyone still pent on continuing SIP further.

I remember doing the math on the early numbers (half life etc) and finding that "surface saturation life" of this particular virus was relatively low, even on stainless steel. Logarithmic scales are fun

Slightly skimming so that might be adding to the confusion....

But what is with all of the stats being thrown around that all the deaths are coming from 65+? Wasn't that known since day one? Or has the media been stating otherwise or something making people upset about it? I have no idea, I don't watch the news on purpose, but I could have sworn basically everyone has been saying this preys mostly on 65+ this whole time.

Just seems like a weird argument against the whole thing now, since that was always known.
I think it's been pretty obvious all along, but a lot of people have chosen to ignore it because they had other reasons they wanted everything to remain shut down and they couldn't let a pesky little thing like facts get in the way of that.

I think it's been pretty obvious all along, but a lot of people have chosen to ignore it because they had other reasons they wanted everything to remain shut down and they couldn't let a pesky little thing like facts get in the way of that.
wait, wasn't the argument "your kids might go see grandma and grandpa and get them sick"

Just quoting this, as perhaps my opinion has been misinterpreted. I favored SIP with aggressive testing and tracing leading to a speedier re-opening. That's been my stance. SIP for this long was never my intention. Felt the need to quote since I did favor SIP early on, but never mentioned not reopening quickly. I wish there had been more testing; more data would help deflate anyone still pent on continuing SIP further.

I think all people want is data, but I have asked the same thing Birx asks. Outside of testing every single person every single day for a period of time, what does more testing do?

I’m confused though...at what age cutoff do you stop caring about people being alive? Is 65 it? The country has over 40 million people 65+, and another over 80 million 45-64. Thats more than a third of the country in either the most at risk group, or the second most at risk group. 40+ million people is quite a lot to just straight up not worry about if it’s effecting them pretty disproportionately.

I think all people want is data, but I have asked the same thing Birx asks. Outside of testing every single person every single day for a period of time, what does more testing do?
I think the ship has sailed a little bit due to the necessity of opening back up. I think continued testing is still useful so that we can gauge how quickly we can fully achieve that. Perhaps there are counties that should be fully open with no restrictions already. Covid is still contagious so certain areas need more stringent restrictions (doubtful imho).

I feel like where I live that’s been a major failure and has led to us being shut down much longer than what should have occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back