Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad but humorous that one posts items for informatiional purposes or from the CDC and then you are called a "fearmonger" or you get a dislike ... if it disagrees wiith their agenda. Funny stuff. I'm amazed by people and deal with unhappy, complaining people on a daily basis. Learn something new all the time. Business owners tell me that after a while they don't like people in general and just want to get away from them. I'm not there yet ... but I know what they mean.

Hey once the divorce is through I may be living in a cabin (for lack of a better term) in SE Alaska. I’ll have the capital to work with, and it don’t take much. May be the best thing for my retirement. I wasn’t sure I’d ever get to, and hell this illness might get me before then. Right now that’s dicey, ugh.

But always been a dream. I’ve got my heart set on one, 15 acres with both a trout and salmon stream. Probably be gone by the time I can liquidate but there’s a lot of em up there. Freaking Covid keeps pushing the divorce deeper and deeper into a point where I’ll have a hard time recovering from.

We’ve had differences of opinion on here but when you get to that point of “I hate people” if I’m up there come on up and see if you like it.

I’m 99.99% sure I will. Like it. Only 70% on doing it.

I have to assume you're just trolling at this point because by that logic everything a human does by simply existing on planet Earth is dangerous, and while many philosophers would make that argument it's not really within the scope of this conversation. Would you say that covid is less dangerous to those under 60 than driving to the grocery store? Or how about taking a shower? Or if there's some other metric you use to differentiate dangerous things from not dangerous things that would work too, I'm just curious what they might be and where covid fits on that scale for people under 60.
Without shutdowns, Covid would have killed 10x or more the number of people killed in car accidents in the US in a year, and 2-3x those under 60.

Without shutdowns, Covid would have killed 10x or more the number of people killed in car accidents in the US in a year, and 2-3x those under 60.
You simply do not know any of this to be true. It’s your opinion, and that’s fine.

I used to trust the CDC implicitly, but after all the misinformation coming out of the CDC, and the WHO, I am a bit more skeptical. One prognosticator on a well known cable news station said in March that 20 million Americans were going to die from Covid-19. I don't know if the information being put out is based on actual science, or instead, is simply supporting a narrative.

Yes you do know the answer to that sir. I know you and you’re not anywhere near as dense as me.

As an aside and to the good of everyone, I went and helped coached my 15 year olds team baseball game tonight. I showed up in my face shield with a mask in my pocket and was the only one there with one. Last I’d heard they were mandatory. Not so, just recommended now.

Thank god. Letting kids play in fresh air, etc. it was good to get back that little slice of normalcy even if I felt like poo during it (not sick, med issues related to serious illness).

There are no plans other than playing the season (delayed albeit) at this point. Games every day until late July. I just wish we had enough pitching to play every night. But when we want to play our best, which would be tomorrow night, we’ve got two aces that both play big boy ball and can throw faster than I can hit. So we can win any one game I think all year. Tournaments we’ll suck at, but our mutual friends (enemies, lol) will get beat unless one of those two has a bad bad night. Ones touching 80 now, the other 75 with a wicked curve that sends a lot of batters to the ground only to hear “steeerike!, with no HS season. With that they’d be 5-8mph faster each. He says he starts it at their head and lets it drop in. I saw it once in the box, that was enough. Yeah I picked myself up too.

Tonight was a little bit of an adventure. We played a way weaker team and we did run rule them but it pointed hardcore to our lack of pitching depth as we pitched 3 kids that have never pitched before. They all did ok, was proud of them for their first efforts. But a lot of walks (infield and outfield didn’t help them much as there were 4 easy errors) that resulted in 6/8 of their runs. Took a huge inning from our guys to run rule them in the 4th (15+) but these kids have played high level travel ball together for 10 years. We’ve lost a couple decent pitchers but with no tournaments this year, we can almost decide which games we want to win, and if it’s close at the end can bring in a kid that’s almost unhittable to close it out. One of them has 3 complete game perfect games. The other one has 3 no-hitters (little wilder, always walks someone-usually first batter-then we look at it later and say wow! You just walked the first batter and then threw a perfect game??-stop walking the first batter:))

Anyways, baseball is back here. No masks. We’re not allowed to touch their equipment or balls (I’ve always thought good advice?) nor them ours. But what I did see was a great deal of sportsmanship and no one cared about helping out the other team by handing them their bat when they fouled one off. No one cared about chasing a behind the plate foul ball 150 yards even if it wasn’t their teams. The other team was in the field? How the hell they gonna run down a foul ball behind the plate?

We lined up after the game and without touching walked by and told them the usual “good game, good luck to you, etc etc”. I feel @JB a pioneer of his time for this. It didn’t even really feel weird.

Bottom line. Baseball back, at least at the youth level. If the pro knuckleheads won’t play, screw them. Bring up every Double and Triple A up and comer and pay them half league minimum (roughly 300k IIRC) and the guys making millions can file their damn unemployment claims like the rest of America. Absurd. Revenue down, take a pay cut that’s more than most of us will ever make in a year or in stars cases, a lifetime.

Youth baseball is back in NC OH. That’s a big freaking win. Big. Normal like even.

You felt I may have been calling you out earlier in this thread. I wasn’t but I could see how you would think that. And again, my apologies for that misunderstanding

I am now. No misunderstanding. I think you are wrong. I’m not afraid to call someone out when they’re wrong-if I am wrong feel free to do so to me. Hell, I’ll still golf with ya so don’t get upset. But where exactly are you finding these gems of info? 20x flu morbidity?

True death rates I’ve seen have been almost zero under 50. Especially 40- with no underlying factors.

Overall .4-.6%. I’ve seen that range of numbers for a week or two now. So roughly 1/200 may perish from it, most of them very elderly.

So why and how are you getting these numbers and why do you place faith in them? I’m genuinely asking.

Did you freak out over SARS and MERS? Ebola (I’ll admit that one scared me until I realized that it was too efficient to be scary, but no one wants to die screaming with blood coming out everywhere)? Influenza A? B? Bubonic plague? Cholera? Dysentery?

Come back off the ledge my friend. You’ll read this one of two ways but it was written in kindness.

Peace and safety to you.

What continues to drive you on this? I’m asking as a no punches pulled friend? The facts just aren’t adding up.

PS-car accidents, no joke. Damn near bit it on 09-17-19 at 3:55pm. Broke nine bones and was gutted like a fish with 27 staples from heart to groin. 14 hours of emergency surgery, life still sucked but I was alive. Damn did life suck. One of 3 that breaks their sternum in a crash lives to talk about it (due to other internal injuries suffered generally). Luckily they got me to a trauma center QUICK and I made it off that table.

There wasn’t time for niceties though. They stuck a mainline into my femoral artery without numbing and actually started gutting me before I was under. Good times. Hey, I’m hard to sedate;) Luckily they realized quickly and I screamed once and then it was then 14 hours later.

Anyways, take care. The above aren’t meant as harsh words but I’m very blunt. To the point. I don’t know how to do it any other way. I don’t know what you are looking at but I just can’t see it as accurate.

I'm back. Given what I've seen unfold, I will take medical advice from George Gankas in the future.

Is this Dr. Fauci?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe Dr. Fauci was busy at Belmont Park today. Second place isn’t too shabby!

@Smiter - earlier in the thread @LICC shared that the details of the # people close to him who have died due to C19. It would understandably color anyone’s view of the world.

Last edited:
...The wife and I went out for lunch for the first time on Sunday. The restaurant required a mask to enter and we complied. Once seated, we dropped the masks. The tables were all >6' apart and the waitress was wearing one. Every customer in there was in compliance and I promise, most of these folks would not wear one on their own accord. When we got up to leave, we slipped the masks back on until we were outside. Nothing at all difficult about it...
I'll fully agree that there's nothing at all difficult about it - but it rankles me that there's nothing at all effective or helpful about it either, so that's why I would chafe about it. What good is it doing to wear a mask when you enter and exit, and not wear a mask the entire time in between while you're in the restaurant. Does the 'rona only hang around doorways? To me it's kinda like wearing a condom for foreplay, taking it off during the main event, and then putting it back on afterwards as you're getting dressed to leave. It kinda misses the point of the whole thing.

By nature I'm a goody-goody, obey the law, follow the rules kind of guy. But when rules or laws are passed that make no sense and don't have any sound reasoning behind them, I'll adhere to them grudgingly at best.

Is this Dr. Fauci?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wonder if it’s a fear mongering BOT. Heard ~40% of the Twitter “news” regarding Covid 19 is from pro-Chinese BOTs. This is from retired AF Brigadier General Robert Spaulding. Maybe the BOTs are moving onto golf forums. :)

I get a lot of info from this thread, and I’m only here to offer a suggestion.

Please stop interacting with LICC. just please, stop. That’s all I have, carry on.

Last edited:
I get a lot of info from this thread, and I’m only here to offer a suggestion.

Please stop interacting with LICC. just please, stop. That’s I have, carry on.
or don't tell me what to do, that's also an option

I'll fully agree that there's nothing at all difficult about it - but it rankles me that there's nothing at all effective or helpful about it either, so that's why I would chafe about it. What good is it doing to wear a mask when you enter and exit, and not wear a mask the entire time in between while you're in the restaurant. Does the 'rona only hang around doorways? To me it's kinda like wearing a condom for foreplay, taking it off during the main event, and then putting it back on afterwards as you're getting dressed to leave. It kinda misses the point of the whole thing.

By nature I'm a goody-goody, obey the law, follow the rules kind of guy. But when rules or laws are passed that make no sense and don't have any sound reasoning behind them, I'll adhere to them grudgingly at best.
Some folks have said the mask is like putting a screen door in a submarine.

835FF661-37FA-4A04-B6B5-C58A71D4E4F9.gif
Welcome back...

Some folks have said the mask is like putting a screen door in a submarine.
I can get on board with that.

I mean, if you've tested positive, are symptomatic, or have been exposed to somebody who has it, it would possibly be a good idea to wear one to minimize the possibility of you transmitting it to others via airborne droplets (assuming you can't just quarantine yourself in the first place like you probably should).

I haven't tested positive, am not symptomatic and have not been exposed to anybody who has it or had it. So me wearing a mask is about the same as me avoiding handshakes with other people to avoid passing leprosy on to them, when I have no reason to believe I have leprosy. We have 77 confirmed cases in a city of around 50,000, so a positive rate of about 0.00154. I probably have better odds of being attacked by a pack of rabid javelinas while riding a purple unicorn down Main Street as I'm simultaneously being struck by lightning and winning the Super Lotto jackpot.

If there isn't a massive spike in cases and deaths after all these people, around the US, congregating close together without masks and not social distancing. I can say with complete confidence this whole thing was the biggest blunder in history. I already know it is but there are people who have to have "data." No matter how manipulated the data is.

If there isn't a massive spike in cases and deaths after all these people, around the US, congregating close together without masks and not social distancing. I can say with complete confidence this whole thing was the biggest blunder in history. I already know it is but there are people who have to have "data." No matter how manipulated the data is.
and if you don't like the data you can just dismiss it and make up your own!

I agree with all of this. There are a lot of rules/laws I feel that way about. There are a ton of victimless laws that we abide by every day. Back in the day, I broke a lot of laws that would have been punishable by prison time had I been caught. Not proud of it, but I don't feel like I ever hurt anyone. Fortunately, I grew up.:)

As far as masks, there hasn't been anything posted or written that convinces me a mask does nothing - and I've tried to be very open-minded about all of this. There is a good chance a mask does something, IMO, even if that is likely very minimal.

If anything pisses me off, it's the animosity some have towards those who choose to wear them. Some of us choose to wear them for compliance, others think it's a means of protection. Regardless of the reasons, wearing a mask hurts absolutely no one else. To each their own. As the kids say "haters gonna be haters".

Not sure about the numbers, but yeah, a contagious disease will be reduced when social distancing rules are imposed. Hopefully, no one is arguing that. But the argument has always been applying the appropriate level of safety vs risk.

I believe this is more serious than the flu. I don't believe there is a wide-spread conspiracy to make it look worse than it is. Here are Michigan's numbers.

There are explanations towards regarding the rate of deaths and testing - specifically as the rate of those tested increases, the percentage of deaths will drop. Nothing cloak and dagger about it. As it stands now, more people have died of this in a shorter period of time than the flu. Whether that's a percentage thing or just that the illness is more easily transmitted, I don't know.

Still, I think we should open businesses up and just be responsible about how we interact with folks at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back