Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
well. .....as for the states beginning to open Im guessing its going to take about 3weeks to a month to gauge if there are any significant C19 issues.
2 weeks imo doesnt cut it because while that is suppose to be the possible incubation period they still need time to spread the virus further. But I assume closed states will begin jumping in only after observing the others for 2 weeks instead of what imo should be after 3 or 4 for a much better gauge.

Fwiw I get the whole economy thing big time. But I also get folks dying of this disease of which we have no cure nor any vaccine. I also get that different areas of the country are very different in terms of population spreading. But i also get this whole decision making process no matter where your from is a crap shoot because we honestly still do not truly know enough. Opening will imo come at the cost of at least some life and whether or not there would be/been more life lost than that amount due to not opening who can ever say? We really dont know that answer but imo what we do know is that at least some folks will die from reopening and justifying that to that person and thier loved ones is a lose/lose situation. And so would be justifying any death due to the economy. Again is a lose/lose situation. I just hope with all my heart and for the sake of all of us on either side of the debates that we do not see a mess virus wise some 2 to 4 weeks from now and instead see this thing sort of faze out.. But I still wonder how or why that would happen while there is still no medicine for this.

And so....... thats going to be either another "Oh S#!T , we have to close back up" Or is going to be a "thank god we opened and got through this "
Imo given what we know (which is almost nothing) this is like 50/50 chance and how can it be anything otherwise.
But there is one part that is 100% imo...... and that is that at least "some" (even if minimal amount) more folks will die who wouldn't have if things stayed closed. And that is the hardest part.

Like 190 of the 240 or so dead Minnesotans were sheltered in long term care facilities.

We really haven't done such a great job in fighting this virus, eh?

Since these people have more or less been out of society, yet we such down society?

So the question I have asked remains: why have we completely shut down society when the majority of people dying from this aren't even taking part in society?

Looking at Minnesota’s numbers and where I’m from in Alberta I think Minnesota has a long way to go in testing. Why aren’t more tests being done in your area?

Population 5.6 million
Minnesota tests 56,600
Cases 3446 are positive

Alberta
Population 4.3 million
Tests 127,000
Cases 4200

The more tests the more positive cases and more people at risk. Keeping distance and protecting yourself from others has to be maintained.

Looking at Minnesota’s numbers and where I’m from in Alberta I think Minnesota has a long way to go in testing. Why aren’t more tests being done in your area?

Population 5.6 million
Minnesota tests 56,600
Cases 3446 are positive

Alberta
Population 4.3 million
Tests 127,00
Cases 4200

The more tests the more positive cases and more people at risk. Keeping distance and protecting yourself from others has to be maintained.

Honestly I'm not sure. We have one of the world's most important hospital's here too.

well. .....as for the states beginning to open Im guessing its going to take about 3weeks to a month to gauge if there are any significant C19 issues.
2 weeks imo doesnt cut it because while that is suppose to be the possible incubation period they still need time to spread the virus further. But I assume closed states will begin jumping in only after observing the others for 2 weeks instead of what imo should be after 3 or 4 for a much better gauge.

Fwiw I get the whole economy thing big time. But I also get folks dying of this disease of which we have no cure nor any vaccine. I also get that different areas of the country are very different in terms of population spreading. But i also get this whole decision making process no matter where your from is a crap shoot because we honestly still do not truly know enough. Opening will imo come at the cost of at least some life and whether or not there would be/been more life lost than that amount due to not opening who can ever say? We really dont know that answer but imo what we do know is that at least some folks will die from reopening and justifying that to that person and thier loved ones is a lose/lose situation. And so would be justifying any death due to the economy. Again is a lose/lose situation. I just hope with all my heart and for the sake of all of us on either side of the debates that we do not see a mess virus wise some 2 to 4 weeks from now and instead see this thing sort of faze out.. But I still wonder how or why that would happen while there is still no medicine for this.

And so....... thats going to be either another "Oh S#!T , we have to close back up" Or is going to be a "thank god we opened and got through this "
Imo given what we know (which is almost nothing) this is like 50/50 chance and how can it be anything otherwise.
But there is one part that is 100% imo...... and that is that at least "some" (even if minimal amount) more folks will die who wouldn't have if things stayed closed. And that is the hardest part.

half a million people in this country die every year because of smoking related illnesses yet we still allow cigarettes to be sold. 200k die every year due to obesity yet we still large size our value meals. The flu shot is free for most everyone yet half of the population doesn’t get one.

excuse me if I find the selective concern over COVID a bit hypocritical

I’m asking this genuinely. Do you believe areas should shut down for the flu during bad outbreaks?

While I am not comparing this in any way, it causes death every single year in thousands of people. Nobody is forced to get a flu shot. If the goal of lockdown was to prevent hospitals from not having space, and in the states opening that is not the issue, what would the problem be? Other than some forcing panic, about second waves, etc. Those were always going to happen in a contagious pandemic such as this, right? So if the goals of lockdown were met in the places that are beginning to target openings, why is it now pivoting to needing more tracing, tracking, testing and inside?

Opening an economy is not forced on an individual. They can stay inside, which is a wonderful thing about choices, right?

Serious question, anyone else have friends in the medical field being furloughed? I've had several that are sitting at home waiting for this thing to either kick off or return to normal so they can go back to work. My wife has had 2 Dr appointments in the last month and she was the only patient all day. I'm not doubting the seriousness of this, just don't know that we're being told the truth.
Yes, it is true. I played golf with a oncologist friend recently. His practice Is not dependent on elective surgeries, he’s fine. He said doctors at clinics who do “procedures” (think things like colonoscopies) are being furloughed and being forced to take 50% pay cuts.

There are plenty of dumb Dr.s.

"You lose the national championship and they call you a bum. Finish last in medical school and they call you doctor." - Lou Holtz

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

For better or for worse, a license to practice medicine is how our society qualifies a person to diagnose and treat health problems. Obviously , doctors are human and capable of making mistakes. But if the question is "who should we be listening to regarding what is safe or unsafe pertaining to Coronavirus?" I think listening to a licensed medical doctor is the most sensible answer.

And so Jersey Gov murphy says no to pleas for reopening parks and golf even though mayor of jersey City opened his parks. Unfortunately county golf I guess falls under his state authority. He was adamant about how people were not maintaining respectful social distancing in the parks when they were open.
He is being too darn stubborn for not realizing that golf is almost by nature of the game itself practices good distancing between players.

The mayor of a congested jersey city says as the weather is improving people need to get out and are getting out so better to have parks open so people have a place to go. Otherwise what are they going to do? just walks the crowded sidewalks?

The Gov (based on his comments) is not being open minded and is almost dead set to stay everything closed for as long as it takes. Hes acting as though this closing is not just a means to slow it but instead is acting like its an actual cure for the virus.

I’m still majorly conflicted. My wife works at one of the largest hospitals in Pennsylvania and is at much greater risk of exposure to the virus. I can’t see family or friends even after the shutdown is lifted for fear of infection, but when I see people out en masse ignoring social distancing guidelines it makes me cringe and it makes me angry because inevitably someone from that group will end up in the hospital putting my wife at greater risk.

But I’m dealing with implications from the shutdown in my daily work life as we shutter operations because we simply don’t have enough patients coming into our practices to keep them open. And that’s a whole different feeling of sadness, hopelessness, and frustration. If we don’t reopen the country for business, the government is gonna have to do a heck of a lot more than a one-time stimulus of $1,200.

Thanks for your post. I’m in NY. I’m outside Albany. My primary course has not opened yet. Others have been too crowded since the allowed reopening. I can wait to play. In any event, I’m not surprised by what you’re described. I really like your last statement. I would add to it: Show up, golf, maintain proper social distancing and go home. If we want to be able to have the privilege of playing this game we love, we have to do this.

Well we're neighbors. I'm near Great Barrington and the course just over the border I mentioned is Copake Lake CC. Albany's under an hour away for me.

There are plenty of dumb Dr.s.

"You lose the national championship and they call you a bum. Finish last in medical school and they call you doctor." - Lou Holtz

C’s get degrees.

Fauci is a genius (graduating #1 in your Ivy League medical school IMO is a genius). But he has just been wrong too many times. He has lost his privileges in my view.

The only person that has been right about anything is Trump. He was right about leaving it up to the states to run their respective economies, and he was right that we should have opened up sooner rather than later (Easter).
You just proved my point.

For better or for worse, a license to practice medicine is how our society qualifies a person to diagnose and treat health problems. Obviously , doctors are human and capable of making mistakes. But if the question is "who should we be listening to regarding what is safe or unsafe pertaining to Coronavirus?" I think listening to a licensed medical doctor is the most sensible answer.
So if one says go about your business and another says cower in the corner, which one do I do? Why can't I just use common sense?

half a million people in this country die every year because of smoking related illnesses yet we still allow cigarettes to be sold. 200k die every year due to obesity yet we still large size our value meals. The flu shot is free for most everyone yet half of the population doesn’t get one.

excuse me if I find the selective concern over COVID a bit hypocritical
I’m asking this genuinely. Do you believe areas should shut down for the flu during bad outbreaks?

While I am not comparing this in any way, it causes death every single year in thousands of people. Nobody is forced to get a flu shot. If the goal of lockdown was to prevent hospitals from not having space, and in the states opening that is not the issue, what would the problem be? Other than some forcing panic, about second waves, etc. Those were always going to happen in a contagious pandemic such as this, right? So if the goals of lockdown were met in the places that are beginning to target openings, why is it now pivoting to needing more tracing, tracking, testing and inside?

Opening an economy is not forced on an individual. They can stay inside, which is a wonderful thing about choices, right?
Due respect......You have on a few occasions mention you dont compare this with the flu but yet often bring it up as such.
Its not the flu nor is it cigarette smoking nor is it anything else but exactly only what it is. And we still have no clue just how bad it can get.

In my post I dont say what right or wrong is and i honestly dont know what right or wrong. And i do understand different areas are affected differently by the sickness and therefore may have different needs and actions. It will work out well or it wont is all Im really saying. And i hope its the former. We shall all see soon enough. But I did mention and still believe at least some more folks will die who otherwise wouldn't have. We can all take that fwiw to ourselves and do with that what we wish.

For everyone so giddy to reopen I ask this - we (Pennsylvania) are still averaging somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,500 new cases per day (40,000 total, 1,500 deaths). Won’t these numbers increase when things reopen? Or are we knowledgeable enough about necessary precautions to keep things in check? Please don’t respond with any comments about the economy as these questions are strictly illness-related.

Before accusing me of one thing or another, please see the post I made just a few minutes ago explaining that I am largely conflicted and confused and really don’t have an official stance one way or the other.

Well we're neighbors. I'm near Great Barrington and the course just over the border I mentioned is Copake Lake CC. Albany's under an hour away for me.

That’s close. The weather, other than yesterday, hasn’t been too good for golf. Plus, looks like snow and wind in the Berkshires tonight into tomorrow.

So if one says go about your business and another says cower in the corner, which one do I do? Why can't I just use common sense?

No doctor I know personally and, or, have talked to has told me "go about your business".

Remind me not to get all teary-eyed when you're dragged into a cop car because you walked down the sidewalk 4 feet from your friend for 10 steps.
It’s pretty simple. When the police ask you to do something, do it. If you refuse to do it and start taunting the police to arrest you... well, bad things may happen. If do Those things I wouldn’t expect or ask for anyone’s tears.

For everyone so giddy to reopen I ask this - we (Pennsylvania) are still averaging somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,500 new cases per day (40,000 total, 1,500 deaths). Won’t these numbers increase when things reopen? Or are we knowledgeable enough about necessary precautions to keep things in check? Please don’t respond with any comments about the economy as these questions are strictly illness-related.

Yes, they will likely go up, so will deaths. This will occur if we open up tomorrow, two weeks, 2 months, 2 years. If the goal is solely to prevent all deaths from this virus we would never open up again.
It is one factor in a complicated equation not the only measuring stick.

? Or are we knowledgeable enough about necessary precautions to keep things in check?

For an answer to that question I suggest asking a doctor licensed to practice medicine.

Before accusing me of one thing or another, please see the post I made just a few minutes ago explaining that I am largely conflicted and confused and really don’t have an official stance one way or the other.
Not everyone lives in Pennsylvania though.

Yes, they will likely go up, so will deaths. This will occur if we open up tomorrow, two weeks, 2 months, 2 years. If the goal is solely to prevent all deaths from this virus we would never open up again.
It is one factor in a complicated equation not the only measuring stick.

When, if , Coronavirus vaccines are available the situation is different than it is today.

Recently I listened to a conference call including management of a medical equipment company. Much of the talk was about hospitals postponing elective surgery procedures.
If you don't mind, please help me understand the definition of elective surgery.
In our area it appears to be any medically necessary procedure that is not time sensitive or life threatening. In our area women with lumps can’t get lumpectomies; a good friend was prescribed OxyContin because his hip replacement surgery was cancelled.

No doctor I know personally and, or, have talked to has told me "go about your business".
That's because the doctors you know personally live in your area. Its a big world out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back