Counterweight to Superstroke putter grip?

TJRyska

#LivingtheDream
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.5

YES........ and I HIGHLY recommend folks test this out. I'm currently gaming the 25g weight in my Tour 2.0 SS grip with my Ben Hogan Milled Blade.

Having the right balance to your putter can have a huge impact on your stroke in my experience.
When a putter is off balance it can mess with my long and short putting consistency.
Personally, I've found that a heavy swing weight is great for short putts, but rough on lag putting and vice versa.
The right balance helps keep both lag and shorties in tune.

YES........ and I HIGHLY recommend folks test this out. I'm currently gaming the 25g weight in my Tour 2.0 SS grip.

Having the right balance to your putter can have a huge impact on your stroke in my experience.
When a putter is off balance it can mess with my long and short putting consistency.
Personally, I've found that a heavy swing weight is great for short putts, but rough on lag putting and vice versa.
The right balance helps keep both lag and shorties in tune.
Did you just buy the 25g and it worked or did you try the others?

I've used it before and went 50gm to balance it out the way I liked it. It will come down to preference and how stable you feel with the weights. Head weight needs to be considered also.

Did you just buy the 25g and it worked or did you try the others?

I have the 25g, the 50g and actually the 100g.

I personally found the 100g and the 50g to be a bit too much weight. The 100g is kinda silly....so save from bothering unless you really like a super heavy setup.

I would recommend trying no weight, 25g and 50g. Testing short putts and lag putts to see which you feel gives you the best feel, stroke and control.

One thing to consider:
*This assumes you bought a putter and changed the grip to a SS.
When you buy a putter off the rack, I think the OEMs do a good job of balancing their putters. So try to get an idea of what weigh the stock grip was.
Then check the weight on the SS you switch to and see whether they line up or not. Start there..... then, try a setup that is either heavier or lighter weight.

Additional note to anyone that owns an Odyssey putter with stroke lab..... those putters have counter weights in the butt end already. So if you want to switch to a SS and give this a try, you'd have to remove the stock counter weight. Prob not ideal....

I have used a SuperStroke Counter Core on serveal of my putters and I am a big fan. I recommend giving it a try for sure. I actually got the weight kit from them with all the weights. It was lot of fun testing out the different weights. I usually stuck with the 50G weight though.

I have the Pistol GT 2.0 with the 50g counter core on my Phantom X7. I love the feel of it. I previously had use a non weighted grip but tried out a buddy of mines putter with the counter balance and loved the feel. When I got my grip, I tried out his 25g and 75g weights and found the feel to be the best with the standard 50g that it came with.

I have the 25g, the 50g and actually the 100g.

I personally found the 100g and the 50g to be a bit too much weight. The 100g is kinda silly....so save from bothering unless you really like a super heavy setup.

I would recommend trying no weight, 25g and 50g. Testing short putts and lag putts to see which you feel gives you the best feel, stroke and control.

One thing to consider:
*This assumes you bought a putter and changed the grip to a SS.
When you buy a putter off the rack, I think the OEMs do a good job of balancing their putters. So try to get an idea of what weigh the stock grip was.
Then check the weight on the SS you switch to and see whether they line up or not. Start there..... then, try a setup that is either heavier or lighter weight.
I have a blade Scotty, so if the head is light, then probably 25g is enough?

Anyone know if I can buy a kit with all three weights?

I have a blade Scotty, so if the head is light, then probably 25g is enough?

I would say yes.....it depends on what SS grip you choose though. Check the website for the weight specs. The weights can range pretty dramatically and the size of the grip doesn't necessarily correspond to the heft, as you might assume. Some of their small grips are actually fairly heavy as they use a heavier rubber.

Also, consider possibly investing in some lead tape for the head of your scotty, in case you want to try and increase the total weight but keep a certain balance profile.

Anyone know if I can buy a kit with all three weights?

The older model GTR SS grips used to come with a 50g weight as apart of purchase.

So if you snag one of those, then you may only need to buy the 25g one separately.

Ok so my putter head is a SC California Coronado (350g). I have the Traxion Tour 5.0 (90g) grip [grip doesnt have a weight]. Is there any math I can do to estimate the ideal weight kit? Thanks for all y'alls' help!

I went with the 25g option. Feels good so far. Will update y’all in touch/feel on the greens next time I play.

I had a 50 gram weight in a Super Stroke grip on my knockoff Taylor Made Ghost belly putter. I liked it a lot. If I were to put one
in a 33" to a 35" putter I would think that I'd have to use a lighter weight than the 50 gram weight. The belly putter had a heavier head.
My Taylor Made Daddy Long Leggs belly putter came with a backweighted putter grip (not Super Stroke) and I always liked that too.

I tried both the 25g and 50g options in a Pistol GT. Cool idea, but not quite for me. I prefer the heavier head feeling.

This was me. I enjoyed the swing feel of the Cobra putters but not how they felt under hand. I picked the grip that felt good in hand and got the corresponding weight to match the swing feel of the OEM grip.

Update on my use of a counter weight in my putter

I added a 25g Counter-Core weight to my Superstroke Traxion Tour 5.0 Grip. I've been putting around with it and I like it alot. It has improved my make percentage within 10 feet. It has taken some getting used to on the longer lag putts. I seem to leave the ball short on the longer 30+ feet putts. But, I've now gotten used to it and swing a little harder on the long putts. I like the counterbalanced feel because I can swing the putter a little more firmly than before without the weight.

Additional note to anyone that owns an Odyssey putter with stroke lab..... those putters have counter weights in the butt end already. So if you want to switch to a SS and give this a try, you'd have to remove the stock counter weight. Prob not ideal....

Actually, I am doing this very thing to a White Hot OG Stroke Lab 7. I didn't like the stock grip at all and so had one of the club fitters in my local Club Champion pull the grip off and remove the weight, which came out easily (weights in the new models are held in by "O" rings). The grip and weight weighed 75 gms and 30 gms, respectively and I am replacing them with a SuperStroke Tour Traxion 2.0, 55 gms, and a 50 gm weight for the same 105 gms. CC had to order the grip, so I am still waiting, but expect this swap to work well.

Hmm. So removing Odyssey and adding the new SS football grip won’t be an easy transition it looks like 🤔

Maybe take into my local golf retail store and have them give me advice or assist in making as even as possible once I decide to throw football on there

Removing the weight in a StrokeLab shaft is easy peasy. Not even glued in. IIRC that weight is 50 grams.

Removing the weight in a StrokeLab shaft is easy peasy. Not even glued in. IIRC that weight is 50 grams.

Two years ago, I had a Stroke Lab Seven and replaced the stock grip with a Super Stroke. The combined weight of the stock grip and counterweight installed in the shaft was 105 grams; IIRC the counterweight itself was 40 grams and, as noted, was easy to remove because it wasn't glued in. In order to keep the balance of the putter, I used a 55-gram Super Stroke with a 50-gram counterweight, which worked like a charm.

Hmm. So removing Odyssey and adding the new SS football grip won’t be an easy transition it looks like 🤔

Maybe take into my local golf retail store and have them give me advice or assist in making as even as possible once I decide to throw football on there

It isn’t that hard to do. I put a little heat on the butt of the shaft and was able to get the counter weight pulled with some needle nose pliers.

I've tried a couple Stroke Lab putters and absolutely hated the way they felt because the head was way too light. When I changed my grip I found that weight and pulled it out. Made a huge difference for me.

Back