Country Club Membership vs. Public Golf

I really feel for everyone, 9 hole muni is where I play most of my rounds. Yearly membership is $360, unlimited rounds. Guys who do have carts pay $150 year storage fee and $100 trail fee. Heck even the small CC in my little town is only $550 year unlimited golf with a members dinner once a month. There are much nicer and more expensive course that I could join but then I would be spending more time on the road just to play so that is a no go for me. I get together with other THPers usually once a month and travel somewhere to play with them.

It's all a matter of pricing out how much your public adventures will cost you and compare to known CC fees. If you use it enough, a CC membership can definitely save you money, time, etc.

Here's what it would cost to join the semi private club I work at during the golf season (as of 3 years ago):

New Members are eligible for enrollment upon submission of an accepted Application with a refundable Initiation Fee of $27,500 for an Individual. Initiation Fees may be paid all at once, or you may request to spread it out over an approved schedule.

Annual Dues are very moderately priced and are in fact a great value for the high caliber of this 27-hole course. This year’s dues are $5,300 for an Individual Member. This can either be paid in monthly increments through December, or you can take advantage of a nice discount by paying all at once.

I have never done the CC play but know some that do. There are many courses around here within an hour drive or less and since I like variety I travel around and play most of them if the price is right. Most of the courses can be had for $25-35 a round in Spring/Fall with some going around $50/60 in Summer. That price includes 18 with a cart. Sometimes I can find deals on a course or two that doesn't see much play that I can get on for like $12 for 18 with cart. This setup works for me since I only get out once a week, twice if I am lucky. When I was golfing 3 or more times a week with some buddies we all did have a membership at a course that was only $200 for a year to walk which we did most of the time and if we didn't want to walk we would pay the $15 for the cart. They have two courses and we could upgrade to the premium course too for only $20 which included the cart so we could play both courses throughout the season! We still went out and played other courses too! :)

There are a couple of local courses that sell memberships but IMO one course is not that challenging and charges way too much and the other is a nice course but gets very busy in summer so I avoid that one most of the time cause I don't like a 5 hour round. That one too is pricey in the peak summer cause we are a vacation hot spot here so everything goes up in the summer! The Cherry capital! lol

I live in Ventura County and it doesn't make sense to just stick to one CC. There are so many great courses within 2 hours of driving and I wouldn't want to miss the chance to play courses in SoCal.
I did almost join Sunset Hills CC in Thousand Oaks though...

Really depends on the area, obviously. Here in the middle of Kansas, my options are limited. If I was a "nice" course to play, I have to drive at least an hour. We have a number of 9 hole courses around here, and a few 18 hole options, but none are good, all of them have small budgets and little staff/help. So, because of that the memberships are more affordable, but the that's it. We have one true County Club locally, it's ok at best. The owner is a jerk, so I don't play there. Long story short, in my opinion, I'd join the Club over a Public course, if I were you. However, it comes down to convenience and affordability for me. So for myself, I'd join the Public course I drive by every day as I go to and from work.

I haven’t, just spent the one day there. How does it compare?

I’d love to spend a lot more time at PGA West. Amazing place all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Front 9 is OK, but it's the back nine. There's a par 3 #16 that you drive up a hill thru rocks to the tee....then you get on the tee and see this small green surrounded by rocks. Not as oppressive as Stadium (what is?) so it's a more fun outing for average folks....and the mountain area back 9 is very cool.

I joined a private club 2 years ago on a promotional rate, and I don't regret it at all.

My dues went up to about $500 a month but I decided to stay in. I really like the course, a Donald Ross layout, but to me, the best feature is being able to play without booking a tee time and being able to finish in 4 hours, even on a crowded weekend. In SoCal, I have to believe that would be a major advantage.

I do pay an extra $400, but that includes unlimited range time, a locker and club storage. There is also a workout facility available.

You have to play enough to make it worth it. I do sub in some public course leagues, and it makes me realize how spoiled I am playing at a country club.

Good luck with your decision.

Wow, that's actually very reasonable pricing IMO for what you get.

My god, I def couldn't afford to live in CA. That is crazy.

My dues are $300 per month, no minimums, no initiation.

Cart rentals are pretty much $1.00 a hole ($9 for 9 holes, $18.00 for 18 holes)

Guest green fees are $40.00 for 18, $20.00 for 9, plus cart fee above.

1/2 to 3/4 of the members have their own cart, cart storage is $500.00 for gas, $550.00 for electric.

$5.00 per bag for range balls, $140.00 for unlimited for the year (April - November)

I thought the same thing as in playing the same course all the time would get old. But honestly, its a beautiful place with bent grass fairways and greens so I don't miss playing munis. You don't have to worry about riff raff, slow play, jammed up tee boxes, trash. Divots and pitch marks get repaired CORRECTLY. The range is great and we also have three great short game areas.

Even if I don't get to play so many times a year to make up the difference, its worth it to me.

Exactly the same reasons for joining a CC that my buddy stated. It could be different in terms of cost out here because the golf season is year-round, so maintenance and other costs are also year-round.

I live in Ventura County and it doesn't make sense to just stick to one CC. There are so many great courses within 2 hours of driving and I wouldn't want to miss the chance to play courses in SoCal.
I did almost join Sunset Hills CC in Thousand Oaks though...

I have golf buddies I used to play with who belong to Sunset and Spanish Hills. Of the two SH seems to be the "grander" club, but Sunset is really nice and they love the course.

Back