Couple grip questions

Flooder

Reaction score
Handicap
Hopefully there's an expert or two on here who can help me with these....

1. A layer of tape equals how much change in size? 1/16th, 1/32 or something else.

2. I've done my own regripping once putting midsize grips over a single layer of tape; how much harder is it to put a standard grip over two or more layers of tape?

3. Standard grips are more available online and cheaper so I'm looking at standard grips with multiple layers of tape to get to my desired +1/16th size; am I barking up the wrong tree?

TIA for any help!

Ok, you're not barking up the wrong tree at all. I have gone as far as three wraps on the top hand, 4 under the bottom, with a regular grip and it works great except they will wear faster than grips not built up. With what you are looking at, a standard grip with three layers of tape will give you what you are looking for, and it will not be that hard to go.

Ok, you're not barking up the wrong tree at all. I have gone as far as three wraps on the top hand, 4 under the bottom, with a regular grip and it works great except they will wear faster than grips not built up. With what you are looking at, a standard grip with three layers of tape will give you what you are looking for, and it will not be that hard to go.

So you put all the layers on lengthwise just like if you're doing a single layer? Why do you think they wear faster; because they're stretched more??

So you put all the layers on lengthwise just like if you're doing a single layer? Why do you think they wear faster; because they're stretched more??

Yep, you put the tape on, length wise just like you would do one wrap, but I like to make sure that the small gap that is created because the tape doesn't go all the way round is covered up on the next wraps so you don't have a gap once you have done all three wraps. They wear faster just as you said because you have stretched them a bit. I have found this is more so with grips like Winn PCI TL, then it is with grips like New Decade Multicompound.

Yep, you put the tape on, length wise just like you would do one wrap, but I like to make sure that the small gap that is created because the tape doesn't go all the way round is covered up on the next wraps so you don't have a gap once you have done all three wraps. They wear faster just as you said because you have stretched them a bit. I have found this is more so with grips like Winn PCI TL, then it is with grips like New Decade Multicompound.

Cool, thank you for the help!

Golf Pride and Ping have some good info on their websites. It starts with measuring your hand size and finger length. Basically the tips of your fingers should be barely touching your palm on the top hand.

How do you know whether to get midsize, jumbo, or standard?

A proper fitting would be the best way, outside of that, static fitting based on measurements will work and most grip companies offer good info.

Basically the tips of your fingers should be barely touching your palm on the top hand.

That's exactly it. Just make sure you regrip once a year depending on how many rounds you play and you'll be all set with more tape underneath.

I myself use way more layers of tape than most. I use 8 on my driver now and 6 on my irons. I had always had the wrong grip size on mine.

Bubba uses 15. If you ever can get a close up look of his grips.

I would also reccomend going to a local GG or pro shop to look at and test some grips, especially if you don't know which you want. I think picking out the right grip is probably the toughest part about regripping.

I have gone to mid size grips on my driver and 3 wood and it has greatly helped me with my consistency. However, my irons and wedges are all still standard size grips. I have never tried mid size on irons/wedges.
I guess my question is if should I go mid size thruout my whole bag??

I have gone to mid size grips on my driver and 3 wood and it has greatly helped me with my consistency. However, my irons and wedges are all still standard size grips. I have never tried mid size on irons/wedges.
I guess my question is if should I go mid size thruout my whole bag??

That all depends. Are you more of a feel player? Do you tend to grip the club tighter with your irons? How comfortable do the irons feel compared to the woods? Do you tend to pull the ball a bit with the irons? If you feel you are gripping too tight or pulling the ball then definitely change to the midsize throughout.

Back