Course Madness: WGGC Final Four - (1) Augusta National Golf Club vs (1) Pebble Beach

Course Madness: WGGC Final Four - (1) Augusta National Golf Club vs (1) Pebble Beach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The World Greatest Golf Course is now entering the Final Four.

We are down to the FOUR best golf courses voted by you at THP

Here is the thread to show the full pool and all the results. You decide on which is the World's Greatest Golf Course.
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ss-greatest-golf-course-in-the-world.8916364/

We have a quintessential matchup of the obstinately private vs widely public.

(1) Augusta National Golf Club

Augusta National Golf Course.jpg

Inside the Cultish Dreamworld of Augusta National tidbits below from the 2019 article of the New Yorker

It is by now hardly scandalous to note that Augusta National—called the National by its members and devotees, and Augusta by everyone else—is an environment of extreme artifice, an elaborate television soundstage, a fantasia of the fifties, a Disneyclub in the Georgia pines. Some of the components of the illusion are a matter of speculation, as the club is notoriously stingy with information about itself. It has been accepted as fact that recalcitrant patches of grass are painted green and that the ponds used to be dyed blue. Because the azaleas seem always to bloom right on time, skeptics have propagated the myth that the club’s horticulturists freeze the blossoms, in advance of the tournament, or swap out early bloomers for more coöperative specimens. Pine straw is imported. Pinecones are deported. There is a curious absence of fauna. One hardly ever sees a squirrel or a bird. I’d been told that birdsong—a lot of it, at any rate—is piped in through speakers hidden in the greenery. (In 2000, CBS got caught doing some overdubbing of its own, after a birder noticed that the trills and chirps on a golf broadcast belonged to non-indigenous species.) ...

Augusta National is sometimes likened to Oz. For one thing, it’s a Technicolor fantasyland embedded in an otherwise ordinary track of American sprawl. Washington Road, the main approach to the club, is a forlorn strip of Waffle Houses, pool-supply stores, and cheap-except-during-the-Masters hotels. In the Hooters parking lot during tournament week, fans line up for selfies with John Daly, the dissolute pro and avatar of mid-round cigarettes and booze. But step through the club’s metal detectors and badge scanners, and you enter a lush, high-rent realm, where you are not allowed to run, talk loudly, or cheer a player’s mistakes. Order is maintained by security guards, who for decades were provided by the Pinkerton detective agency. (Though Pinkerton was acquired by a Swedish company called Securitas, in 1999, many patrons still refer to the guards as Pinkertons.) In 2012, a fan who stole onto a fairway to take a cup of bunker sand was thrown in jail...

Augusta is obstinately private. Its leadership, embodied by its chairman, who serves for an indefinite term as a kind of sovereign and is the only person authorized to speak about the Masters, invariably deflects questions about club matters by saying that they are club matters. The club operates as a for-profit corporation. No one knows how much money it makes or has—except that it’s a lot, judging by the investments the club continually makes in the tournament, the course, the physical plant, and the expansion of its real-estate holdings. No one, anyway, is pocketing cash. Still, the high profile of the Masters, as an athletic competition and a cultural event, has often made Augusta National’s desire to be otherwise left alone seem risible, especially in light of the prominence—in business, in politics, in public life—of so many of its members. It’s a remarkable if dodgy, achievement that the club has managed to maintain the private-public charade for as long as it has...

Twitter: @Aug_masters

Augusta-National-scorecard 2.jpg

augusta-national-scorecard 3.jpeg

(1) Pebble Beach

pebble-beach_california.jpg

Golf-The mystique and beauty of U.S. Open venue Pebble Beach

There is no grander stage in major championship golf than Pebble Beach, and next week the majestic coastal layout on California's picturesque Monterey Peninsula will host the U.S. Open for the fifth time.

Forever cloaked in mystique and often shrouded in fog, Pebble Beach Golf Links is one of the most famous and beautiful courses in the world. The mere mention of its name conjures up images of breathtaking scenery.

Nine of its holes straddle the Pacific shoreline and players fortunate enough to visit the venue for the first time never tire of soaking in the stunning vistas of crashing waves, turquoise water, rocky cliffs, and white-sand beaches.

"It's a pretty special place," Jack Nicklaus told reporters while hosting last week's Memorial Tournament in Dublin, Ohio. "It's not a very difficult golf course when the wind doesn't blow but it's extremely difficult when the wind blows."

Nicklaus fell in love with Pebble Beach after winning the U.S. amateur championship there in 1961 and he went on to triumph in the first U.S. Open played there in 1972.

"I played great and every single round I played in the amateur I played under par," he recalled. "I just loved it and then I came back (to Pebble) and won three Crosbys. It's a very special piece of property."

Nicklaus won the PGA Tour's Bing Crosby National Pro-Am in 1967, 1972 and 1973, a tournament now known as the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. Held every February, it offers television viewers a spectacular reminder of the course's beauty.

"You always want to go back to Pebble Beach," said eight-times major champion Tom Watson, who won the 1982 U.S. Open at the venue after overhauling Nicklaus with a stunning birdie-birdie finish.

"What defines this golf course is the beauty. Everybody who thinks about Pebble Beach, the first thing they think about is not that it's a golf course. They think about the beauty of this place. That's what makes it special."

Twitter: @PebbleBeachGolf

Pebble Beach scorecard 1.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh.....don't make me chose. :eek:

Let's go Augusta!!

Going with the one I can play.

I should go Pebble since I actually have the option to play it but I'm going Augusta. Probably because I never can lol

Tough one. Pine Valley beats Augusta as a course every single day. Not sure about Pebble though. Each place has that special feeling that goes beyond the course. Obviously if I get an offer to play my choice tomorrow, I'm playing Augusta. However, in a fantasy world where everyone has unlimited free access to play every course, I'm picking Pebble over Augusta 6 out of every 10 rounds. And since that's what I think "greatest" means, I've gotta go with Pebble.

Augusta. A grand for Pebble is not something I want to pay. I would pay a grand to ply Augusta.

I'm finally on the right end of the voting against Augusta. At least currently. Pebble all day, every day. Numerous US Opens played there and I like that major significantly better than the Masters.

I’ve played Pebble along time ago. I always tell people it’s like playing golf in Heaven, it’s that beautiful! But I’ll pick Augusta. Every time I watch it on TV I am awed by the sights, sounds and colors of that course!

I've never played Pebble so I may be speaking out of place here. But I thought I heard possibly from the No Laying Up podcast that if you were to take Pebble away from the ocean it would just be an "eh" course. That being said, it is on the ocean and therefore is an absolutely beautiful view. I love watching Augusta every year but part of my has something against courses that don't allow everyone to play on them, though with the Pebble green fees, it doesn't allow a lot of people to play either.

I have been to both and if I had to choose which one I wanted to play all the time, it would be Pebble. Pebble just looks like God decided to make a golf course on the most beautiful piece of property there is and and just sat it down there for the world to enjoy where as Augusta, while beautiful also, just seems too manufactured and perfect.

Augusta is just to fake and promotes what's wrong with golf as it pertains to the common man. Give me Pebble or give me a goat track!

When you play Pebble...you play the first 3 holes and say to yourself...WTF is this...come 4 the course starts and thru 10 you play some great holes. Then you play a few more ho hum holes....And then 15 thru 18 again are great holes. So about 1/2 of the course is a great course. Augusta is basically unattainable for 99.999% of us. But we all know most of the holes. I have walked it...Doubt I'll ever play it. But it is one of golf's precious commodities. Anyone offered the play with me at Pebble or Augusta would be an idiot to accept Pebble. You can go to Pebble anytime you want...……………...

Pebble. I think #1 should at least be assessable.

This is a battle of history and greatness.

Tough call, however seeing I’ve played Pebble it has to be Augusta. It’s like the holy grail right?

I’ve played Pebble along time ago. I always tell people it’s like playing golf in Heaven, it’s that beautiful! But I’ll pick Augusta. Every time I watch it on TV I am awed by the sights, sounds and colors of that course!
You mean the manufactured sounds? :ROFLMAO:

I'm going Pebble for me. Augusta looks incredible. However I kinda don't care what Augusta does and I'm not in love with the Masters. I'd rather play on the cliffs of the pacific than the border of Georgia/SC.

I went with Augusta. Because it's Augusta.

I chose the one that I can and have played.

so hard to choose. Augusta will win because of the mystique that permeates it.

One more day to vote: Augusta still leading

Can the pictures of Pebble's 7th and 8th hole compare to Augusta's Amen Corner?

Pebble 7th hole
Pebble Beach hole 7.jpg

Pebble 8th hole
Pebble Beach hole 8.jpg

versus

Augusta 12th hole
Augusta 12th hole.jpg

Augusta 13th hole
Augusta 13th hole.jpg

Last edited:
Augusta!
Only because every single hole is Amazing. There are a few Ho Hum holes on pebble in the opening few

Back