Photo Heavy Course Photo of the Day: Ballyhack Edition

Hole 14 Par 4 Appalachian Tees 344 Yards

While the fourteenth hole isn't terribly long at only 344 yards, it is frought with danger depending on how you decide to play it. As the forecaddie will tell you, the ideal play is a tee shot at the cart path with a draw. But understand that the further right you go the longer the carry across the hazard becomes.
View attachment 9189065
While there's a good chance that you will find your ball should you come up a yard or two short, it certainly amps up the difficulty of your next shot. The ball will be severely above your feet so you are almost forced to hit a 30-40 yard shot just to get a clean lie in the fairway. Of course, if you run through the fairway your lie will again be sidehill, but I'd rather be through the fairway than short of it here.
View attachment 9189066
Feeling adventurous? There's always the direct line to the green....
View attachment 9189067

Push your drive too far right and you'll be faced with a very uncomfortable decision between laying up or taking on the carry to the elevated green.
DSC_0653.JPG
Even from the end of the fairway you are faced with an intimidating shot to the green.
DSC_0657.JPG
As with several other holes at Ballyhack, you have to trust the yardage and line the forecaddie gives you because the surface of the green is impossible to see from the fairway
DSC_0658.JPG

Hole 15 Par 5 Appalachian Tees 544 Yards

The fifteenth hole still has me scratching my head a little bit. You have this beautiful sweeping fairway with bunkering on both sides, and the first thing your forecaddie will do is to tell you to aim away from it. From above the hole could be considered like the letter 'D' - the main fairway is the rounded part, and the finger, ravine and apron in front of the green is the straight side. Taking the shortcut requires a controlled-distance tee shot of no more than 210-220 yards. From there you have a short carry across a naturalized ravine to a short section of sloping fairway curving around and into the green which is the other half of the thirteenth.
DSC_0662.JPG
One of the challenges with taking the direct route is the fact that you can't see much of the landing area from the tee box.
DSC_0663.JPG
DSC_0665.JPG

DSC_0669.JPG
DSC_0670.JPG
DSC_0383.JPG

Taking the direct route presents you with a landing area that is contoured and slopes onto the front edge of the green - coming in with a draw you can find the putting surface and have a look at eagle.
DSC_0385.JPG
Or if you want a challenge you can play the hole like I did, which was to play the fairway "as intended", which presents you with this view when you reach your final approach to the green.
DSC_0673.JPG
In retrospect, maybe the direct line ain't such a bad idea 🤷‍♂️
DSC_0674.JPG

Hole 15 Par 5 Appalachian Tees 544 Yards

The fifteenth hole still has me scratching my head a little bit. You have this beautiful sweeping fairway with bunkering on both sides, and the first thing your forecaddie will do is to tell you to aim away from it. From above the hole could be considered like the letter 'D' - the main fairway is the rounded part, and the finger, ravine and apron in front of the green is the straight side. Taking the shortcut requires a controlled-distance tee shot of no more than 210-220 yards. From there you have a short carry across a naturalized ravine to a short section of sloping fairway curving around and into the green which is the other half of the thirteenth.
View attachment 9189232
One of the challenges with taking the direct route is the fact that you can't see much of the landing area from the tee box.
View attachment 9189233
View attachment 9189234

I’ll pass on both of those routes!! Send it down 14.

The good news for the player is that aside from one small pot bunker protecting the right corner of the green the apron is open for your approach.
View attachment 9188425
View attachment 9188426
For whatever reason, 12 is definitely at or near the top of the list for me at Ballyhack. Something about the rolling hills nature of the fairway, especially looking back to the tee box, with the cottages/fire pits right there. Love that hole.

For whatever reason, 12 is definitely at or near the top of the list for me at Ballyhack. Something about the rolling hills nature of the fairway, especially looking back to the tee box, with the cottages/fire pits right there. Love that hole.

That (and 11) were the two holes that @robrandalgz and I couldn't conjure anything up. I don't think we hit the 12th fairway one time, so we were fighting for bogey most of the time. Would have loved for one of us to pipe one down the hill, but we were way left or way right most of the time. It is a gorgeous golf hole though.

That (and 11) were the two holes that @robrandalgz and I couldn't conjure anything up. I don't think we hit the 12th fairway one time, so we were fighting for bogey most of the time. Would have loved for one of us to pipe one down the hill, but we were way left or way right most of the time. It is a gorgeous golf hole though.
Yeah that was one that I really wanted to take advantage of. Probably why I never hit a good shot there. If I would have approached it like any other golf hole, we probably couldd have salvaged something respectable. But, you know, BOMBS AWAY. Whoops. :LOL:

Looks like you'd be spending twice as much in Golf Balls than the 18 hole fee.

I’ll pass on both of those routes!! Send it down 14.
Just looking at the satellite view, and that seems......... interesting? I never saw that option off 15 tee, nor was it suggested to us. So it begs the question - how did you navigate the tree at the end (start) of 14 fairway which appears to block the path to 15 green?

Hole 16 Par 4 Appalachian Tees 402 Yards

While the sixteenth is not an exceptionally long par four, it does require two worthy golf shots in order to post par. Longer hitters have driver taken out of their hands as they can easily run through the end of the fairway, and shorter hitters are challenged by the extra length of the carry on their second shot.

DSC_0678.JPG
The preferred line off the tee is entered between the cart path and the last tree on the right; if you can keep your drive on the right side of the fairway in the lighter shade of green your second shot will be easier. The danger with this approach is the second cut and drop off if you push your drive at all.
DSC_0679.JPG

Given the angles on this hole, the more direct your line to the green the longer the carry becomes. And the penalty for coming up short is severe, with a really good chance your ball will never be found. Playing to the perceived safety of the second fairway is no bargain either, as the ditch crosses the entire width of the hole.
DSC_0682.JPG
The good news? There are two bunkers to catch a short approach and potentially save it from the ravine.
DSC_0683.JPG
A note to future event participants: I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have left a ball or two abandoned in this area of the course for you to find 🤷‍♂️
DSC_0690.JPG

Hole 17 Par 3 Appalachian Tees 128 Yards

The penultimate hole at Ballyhack is a one-shotter that requires the golfer to find the putting surface. Seemingly perched on the side of a mountain, missing the green here leaves a challenging bunker shot, a trick pitch or worse case a drop.DSC_0692.JPGDSC_0693.JPGDSC_0694.JPG

Hole 18 Par 4 Appalachian Tees 401 Yards

The eighteenth hole is as straightforward as a par four gets. Well, at least until you arrive on the green which from the nightly putting challenges you know is a bit of a beast. There is a massive swale that runs front to back segmenting the green into two halves. Being on the wrong side of the swale certainly brings a big number into play.
DSC_0401.JPG
DSC_0402.JPG
You want to keep your drive on the left side in order to keep the large maple out of the equation.
DSC_0403.JPG

One element I found interesting about the eighteenth was that standing on the green looking back down the fairway it appeared that the fairway was significantly below the level of the putting surface. While the hole plays gradually uphill for the entire length, arriving at your tee ball the rise to the green is not as severe from this side. Just be aware of the small false front that will prevent GIRs seven days a week.
DSC_0699.JPG

Hole 14 Par 4 Appalachian Tees 344 Yards

While the fourteenth hole isn't terribly long at only 344 yards, it is frought with danger depending on how you decide to play it. As the forecaddie will tell you, the ideal play is a tee shot at the cart path with a draw. But understand that the further right you go the longer the carry across the hazard becomes.
View attachment 9189065
While there's a good chance that you will find your ball should you come up a yard or two short, it certainly amps up the difficulty of your next shot. The ball will be severely above your feet so you are almost forced to hit a 30-40 yard shot just to get a clean lie in the fairway. Of course, if you run through the fairway your lie will again be sidehill, but I'd rather be through the fairway than short of it here.
View attachment 9189066
Feeling adventurous? There's always the direct line to the green....
View attachment 9189067
I really liked hole 14. I aimed at that cart path 3 times and drew my hybrid right at the cart path 3 times. The first time playing the green was a lesson on the contours but then you know where to hit it. Par, par, birdie for me there.

Following the Goat Cup is getting me excited to bring the camera to Ballyhack. Hopefully I can figure out how to make it work with everything else I want to be doing.

Following the Goat Cup is getting me excited to bring the camera to Ballyhack. Hopefully I can figure out how to make it work with everything else I want to be doing.
How did I know you'd be in here? 🤣

Just found this, getting closer to seeing where we put balls here!

Back