Photo Heavy Course Photo of the Day: The Club at Mediterra South Course Edition

The par-five 7th hole comes in at 481 yards and is aptly called "Double Cross". From the tee it appears that the fairway is split in two sections by a large bunker complex, but looking at the overhead you can fly these bunkers on the right side of the fairway to cut off some of yardage should you choose.
DSC_1920.JPG
DSC_1922.JPG
The smart line off the tee is at the large tree to the right of the far bunker complex.

DSC_1923.JPG
This is the "super-safe" angle to navigating the bunkers :LOL:
DSC_1932.JPG

In reality, I was just taking my playing partner's advice, as he told me about the cool feature at Mediterra: they have their own honey bee hive so I wanted to get a closer look
DSC_1929.JPG

DSC_1930.JPG

The front of the green is fully open to the fairway and plays at relatively the same level, allowing the golfer to go for it in two without much risk.
DSC_1937.JPG
DSC_1941.JPG

The 8th hole, "Waterside" plays as a 381 yard par four. The water doesn't really come into play, it's merely there for visual enhancement.
DSC_1944.JPG
The fairway is generous enough in width, and the elevation of the right hand side should help the slicer's ball to work its way back toward the middle of the fairway.
DSC_1945.JPG

Again the front of the green is open and the bunkering is set back enough that it shouldn't really come into play. I won't say it's an easy hole, but it is very playable.DSC_1954.JPGDSC_1951.JPG

The par-four 9th is named "Willow Grove" and plays at 358 yards.
DSC_1957.JPG
The fairway is plenty wide which will favor players of all skill levels.
DSC_1959.JPG

DSC_1963.JPG
While the green is mostly open to the approach, there is a small false front that will repel all shots that come up short. Of course, if you look closely you will see that it was no match for someone in our group (I don't remember who, probably sunshine)
DSC_1967.JPG

The back nine starts out with a 394-yard four called "Terrace".
DSC_1971.JPG
The landing area starts out with plenty of width, however longer hitters could potentially bring the bare area (or even the hazard) of the left side into play.
DSC_1975.JPG

DSC_1979.JPG

"Jagged Edge" plays at 336 yards and is a fun little hole. The closer you get to the green, the more the trouble sneaks in on the left side.
DSC_1984.JPG
While it's a fairly short hole, the fairway is narrow and features a lot of undulations so finding a perfectly level lie could prove difficult. While it might not be level, you can rest assured that the ball will be sitting perfectly on the paspalum grass.
DSC_1985.JPG

The approach is innocent enough in appearance, but the water does sneak in around the back of the green. There is a closely mown area that may save a long shot from a watery grave, but it's not a risk worth taking.DSC_1989.JPGDSC_1986.JPG

Hole 12 is named "Firewall" and features some visual intimidation off the tee. None of what's in front of you is in play, unless you really miss the face of your driver but it does play into your mind a bit.
DSC_1995.JPG
Slicers may find one of the three fairway bunkers lining the right side but there is plenty of fairway to be had.
DSC_1997.JPG

At just 369 yards a solid drive will leave you with a short iron into a heavily sloped and fairly protected green. The only opening between the traps is the high point of the putting surface, which slopes away left and right.
DSC_2002.JPG
Miss the yardage slightly and a shot landing centred but short may be redirected into one of the two green side bunkers given the contours.
DSC_2004.JPG

I'm not sure why they named the par 3 13th "The Natural", but it is one of the few holes on the course without a bunker. That doesn't mean Fazio didn't surround the green with steep slopes; shots not carrying to the front edge of the green will likely lose yardage before coming to rest.
DSC_2006.JPG
I lied - there is a bunker tucked to the right of the green.
DSC_2007.JPG
DSC_2012.JPG

The 14th is appropriately named: "Chute" plays straight away, and does not have any bunkers. I double checked. :LOL: Two straight shots to reach the fairly large but flattish green where birdie is a strong possibility.
DSC_2016.JPGDSC_2018.JPG

DSC_2022.JPG
DSC_2024.JPG

Hole 15 is a par 5 called "Old Trail". A straight away hole, but it features lots of bunkering in strategic places to collect wayward shots. Not unfair, where you have to play over or around them, but just on the perimeter.
DSC_2028.JPG
From the tee the bunkering frames the landing area, although they make the area look narrower than it actually is.
DSC_2029.JPG

Safely in the fairway longer hitters can comfortably go for the green in two. The smart play is to try and leave your approach on the right hand side of the fairway, as it sets up both the preferred angle to the green and takes some of the green side bunkers out of the line of play.
DSC_2035.JPG
DSC_2037.JPG
Clearly I didn't take my own advice, although with a front pin position I got away with it as I don't have to play over the bunkers.
DSC_2042.JPG

The 16th is named "Soft Turn" and is one of the few dog-leg holes (if you can even call it a dog-leg) I can remember on the south course.
DSC_2045.JPG
From the tee both the crest and the bunkering on the left make the landing area appear to be non-existent but in reality there is plenty of room to hit driver for most players. Taking a more aggressive line along the left edge of the fairway is going to leave you a shorter approach as the hole turns to the left.
DSC_2046.JPG

DSC_2050.JPG
Personally I would call the approach to the green welcoming, as the green is well framed by two bunkers but is entirely open and the green slopes slightly from back to front which will receive the golf ball well.
DSC_2051.JPG

"Top Shelf" is the name of the par three 17th and is appropriate as the green is a tabletop.
DSC_2055.JPG
DSC_2058.JPG

The home hole is a par 5 by the name of 'Culmination'. It is somewhat unique in that almost every bunker is on the left side of the fairway, along with a sandy waste area mixed in.
DSC_2061.JPG
DSC_2063.JPG

Although the right side may seem more appealing due to the lack of bunkering, the best angle to the green is from the left side.
DSC_2069.JPG
You need to have a good handle on your yardage, as the green slopes away from you and the water hazard creeps in on the right and rear sides of the green complex.
DSC_2070.JPG
It's easy to not pay attention to the hole view on the GPS and not realize the water extends behind the green.
DSC_2072.JPG

Back