Photo Heavy Course Photo of the Day: The Club at Mediterra South Course Edition

Junkyard

Will Travel for Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Located in Naples FL is the 1600 acre master-planned Mediterra community that features not one, but two 18-hole golf courses designed by Tom Fazio. Having been travelling to the area for over ten years to golf, Mediterra was certainly one of the private facilities I never expected to have the opportunity to play. Of course, THP opens a lot of doors once you start meeting other members, and thanks to both scheduling working out and the generosity of @sunshine and his brother we had ourselves a day on the South course.

Reviews suggest that the South course is the more difficult of the two - although there is more room off the tee the approaches have a higher degree of difficulty. Like most courses in the area, it features multiple tee decks that offer as much or as little distance as the player wants anywhere from 4130 to 7075 yards. If memory serves, we chose the III tee that plays to 6130 yards with a 69.5/129 rating.

The course opens with a welcoming 456 yard par 5 that eases the player into their round. While the fairway has plenty of width, there are bunkers adjacent that can collect shots hit offline.
DSC_1855.JPG
DSC_1857.JPG

Mediterra is one of those facilities where you find yourself in the fairway and feel guilty for having to hit your next shot because you don't want to blemish the perfectly manicured conditions. You'd be hard pressed to ever find yourself in a divot on these fairways, which makes playing at a course of this caliber a real treat.
DSC_1862.JPG
The preferred line into the first green is from the left side, as a lone bunker protects the centre of the green complex. Once on the green the player gets to experience some of the truest greens in the area.
DSC_1863.JPG

The 353 yard par 4 second hole named "Ampitheatre" is very similar in design to the first. The fairway has plenty of width with no trickery to bring the adjacent bunkering into play.
DSC_1867.JPG
The green complex is slightly above the level of the fairway, however the entire front of the green is open. Come up a yard or two short however and you're probably not going to get the bounce forward. Or, if you're like me you push your approach left and find an extremely deep but playable bunker beside the green.
DSC_1873.JPG

The platinum paspalum grass throughout the fairway makes it look like velvet. It's an absolute pleasure to hit off of.
DSC_1876.JPG

The third hole presents the golfer with the first par 3, coming in at 171 yards and named "Strong One"
DSC_1879.JPG
As you can see in this closeup, the further left and back the pin placement the more the bunkers come into play. The green is larger than it appears, and only the back right corner falls off so most shots should finish relatively close to where they land.
DSC_1883.JPG
Looking at my shotscope data, I actually missed the green left however the shot was poor enough that it finished short of the bunkers. A wedge on and had a tap-in for bogey.

Beautiful course love the pics.

Awesome looking course, thanks for the pics!

Great looking course, thanks for bringing us along. Have fun down there, snow is slowly melting here.

A Florida course with seemingly very few houses on the property. You love to see that 🥺

A Florida course with seemingly very few houses on the property. You love to see that 🥺
They do line the holes. But there is loads of space between house and edge of fairway / rough

Are you a member down there? I am playing in the member guest there next month.

Great looking course, thanks for bringing us along. Have fun down there, snow is slowly melting here.
These photos were from October, but I do appreciate the sentiment. We still have snow here?

They do line the holes. But there is loads of space between house and edge of fairway / rough
And some of them the owner could be offended if you called it just a "house"

These photos were from October, but I do appreciate the sentiment. We still have snow here?
Still have some in my neck of the woods unfortunately.

The fourth hole, a 340 yard par 4 named "Livingston Pass" appears very similar in feature to the first hole, however this time the fairway is slightly wider but the green, however as is the case for most here at Mediterra is elevated and protected by deep bunkering.
DSC_1887.JPG
Don't allow the bunkering on the left side of the fairway enter into your psyche; take aim at the flag in the distance to afford yourself the greatest margin for error off the tee.
DSC_1888.JPG

The safe play is to aim at the portion of the green surface you can see, however that will most likely leave you with a long birdie putt. The bunker directly in line with the flag does have a bit of space between it and the green, so as long as you get a number to clear the top it's green light all the way.
DSC_1893.JPG

Hole 5 plays as a 368 yard par four named "Upland" and plays adjacent to several of the residences on property, although they aren't directly adjacent the course.DSC_1899.JPG
One of the features of this hole that is strikingly different from the previous few is that the entire front of the green is open to the fairway; there is bunkering present but they shouldn't come into play which affords the player a better opportunity to score here.
DSC_1900.JPG

DSC_1905.JPG
DSC_1907.JPG
DSC_1909.JPG

Such a beautiful hole. 156 yards, called Meandering Wall.
DSC_1910.JPG
DSC_1911.JPG

DSC_1912.JPG
It's not every day you get to play with a local professional, especially one who shares the same dexterity as you ;)
DSC_1918.JPG

Back