#troy

Jax, FL
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Love Creole, Cajun foods.
What are some of your favorites?

Wife went to grad school at LSU and introduced me to the foods when we met in Tampa 15 years ago.

Po boys, gumbo, jambalaya are a few of my faves. Been to New Orleans only one time. Need to go back.

Made some chicken thigh & andouille sausage gumbo for dinner this evening.

IMG_0893.jpeg

Mud bugs
Crawfish Boil Butter GIF by The Crab Place

That is one I shy away from unless it’s in a dish, etoufee or something. I love crab & shrimp. Just not a fan of out of the shell crawfish.

Shrimp or Crawfish Etouffee.
Jambalaya
Gumbo

I know it's super simple but sometimes that is best.
Red beans and rice is so good.

My wifes sister married a guy from New Orleans and on the rare occasion they come out to visit, it's insisted upon that he does gumbo and jambalaya. It's well worth the bottle of scotch I have to bribe him with to do them!

Shrimp po boys, jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice, it’s all good. I was at a conference in New Orleans and they served crawfish ravioli one night and it was fantastic. We will be in New Orleans in October and I can’t wait to get back!

Gumbo, jambalaya, and anything else you can put on a menu.

I’ll eat it, but then I wanna be left alone.

All of it.

But if limited to one, I think I’d go shrimp po-boy. Nothing else quite like it imho.

It’s gonna be a rough year for Louisiana crawfish. Crop is expected to be exceedingly low.

That is one I shy away from unless it’s in a dish, etoufee or something. I love crab & shrimp. Just not a fan of out of the shell crawfish.
I’m with you. I try and try and try to like them.

To this day, my absolute Favorite on-site work was working the oil refineries near LaPorte, LA due to the food. We stayed in Metairie and Dragos was a 2-3 night event. We always ate Shrimp PoBoys by the refinery, where the shrimp was caught out back. The other nights were trips to the French Quarter. We worked hard but partied harder. I was in my mid to late 20s, no kids and on the equivalent of an unlimited expense report. It was awesome.

I’m more of a Cajun food guy. I love the rustic nature of it. Creole is good and I’ll eat hell out of it but, given the choice, I’m going with Cajun a large percentage of time.

It’s gonna be a rough year for Louisiana crawfish. Crop is expected to be exceedingly low.
Do they think it’s a one off? or if I’m going to do a boil get it in now?

I’m more of a Cajun food guy. I love the rustic nature of it. Creole is good and I’ll eat hell out of it but, given the choice, I’m going with Cajun a large percentage of time.
Okay. I’m a dumb ass mid westerner. What in the difference?

I’ll see your shrimp po boy, raise you an oyster po boy and call.

🤣
Fair play.

In just about all other settings I go oyster, but something about fresh shrimp on that sandwich just pops for me.

Do they think it’s a one off? or if I’m going to do a boil get it in now?
You may run into supply problems n the early part of the season. Later might be better but you never know.
Okay. I’m a dumb ass mid westerner. What in the difference?
Generally, creole is more refined and features tomatoes in a lot of sauces. Call it “city” cooking. Creole gumbo has tomatoes and okra with meat and/or seafood in a lighter roux. Cajun is meat or seafood in a darker roux.

Being born and raised in LA, with a grandfather from New Orleans, this style of food is my go to. Prefer cajun vs creole, but both are fantastic.

You may run into supply problems n the early part of the season. Later might be better but you never know.

Generally, creole is more refined and features tomatoes in a lot of sauces. Call it “city” cooking. Creole gumbo has tomatoes and okra with meat and/or seafood in a lighter roux. Cajun is meat or seafood in a darker roux.
Then, I like creole! Big fan of the tomato, wee and okra type stuff. It is actually funny because we have two locations of our club. The downtown one serves a gumbo that is clearly more creole, and the west one is clearly more cajun based on your definition.

Give me the dark roux any day of the week!

Give me the dark roux any day of the week!
Me too, generally, if I’m doing chicken and sausage. If I’m going seafood or a mix, I’ll go a bit lighter.

Dark roux 😍

Back