custom club fitting

JAugusta

Reaction score
Handicap
I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has gone through the custom fitting process. I recently went out to Golf Galaxy and purchased a set of Ping i20's, and was fitted for them while out there.

Being the way that I am, I became slightly nervous during my fitting session because I was thinking about the inconsistencies of my swing and how that will be applied to my new irons. My previous iron (TM R7's) were bought off the rack and I played them fairly well. After about 6 yrs or so I wanted to make an upgrade and get properly fitted for my new set.

The employee at GG was great to work with but as I was taking swings I was struggling a little bit and most of the ball marks on the striking tape were located towards the heel of the club. He mentioned my swing plane was the issue and as we went through the fitting process I kept thinking, if I am not hitting the ball consistently well during this fitting session is this going to affect my iron set specs. There are days when I hit the ball extremely well and others where I struggle, much like the other night getting fitted. Anyways, I was fitted with the Yellow dot for my Ping i20's, but if I was striking the ball better that night would I have been fitted for say, the black dot? I have taken lessons over the past two years and play roughly twice week, three if I am lucky during the warm season.

My overall question is, can one bad fitting session doom you with fitted irons?

Thank you

eeek.

If you're making consistent contact on the heel side of the iron, it isn't necessarily a swing fault or a problem with the plane. It's a problem with the club's lie angle. You did the right thing getting a flatter club.

Yes. A bad fitting session and getting club based on that is detrimental.
The heel toward shot, is this from face impact labels? If yes, then the length is to long, or the swing weight is to heavy or both.
The length, has a direct correlation to lie angle. What was your wrist-to-floor length and how tall are you? What length did they order for you.
i must have missed something. JAugusta, you said you fit into Yellow dot which is 1.5 degrees upright and black dot is neutral, Standard lie angle.
Blugold, when did he go flatter?

Yes. A bad fitting session and getting club based on that is detrimental.
The heel toward shot, is this from face impact labels? If yes, then the length is to long, or the swing weight is to heavy or both.
The length, has a direct correlation to lie angle. What was your wrist-to-floor length and how tall are you? What length did they order for you.
i must have missed something. JAugusta, you said you fit into Yellow dot which is 1.5 degrees upright and black dot is neutral, Standard lie angle.
Blugold, when did he go flatter?

Yeah I misread that. I hopped the yellow dot was flatter. Everytime I have done lie angle testing, my contact has been heel side, so I have gone flatter to get the strike point more towards the middle.

I don't know if doom is the correct word but I believe it's tough to get fitted with an inconsistent swing. I'm not a pro so I not one to tell you whats wrong with your swing but in addition to all the other things mentioned another issue with hitting the heel is leaning forward on your down swing. I used to do that.

I say get some lessons from a pro and enjoy your new irons.

Ok, t was thinking my ling chart was misprinted

kmanc, I am 6'0" and my wrist-to-floor length is 31 1/4". They ordered standard length. The employee conducting the fitting had me going through all the motions and decided I would be best fit with the "yellow dot".

C-Mac 13, I plan on getting lessons for sure. I took lessons about two years ago, but need to keep up with it. My biggest concern, which is late now, is making the investment, and not enjoying these great clubs because I had one bad fitting.

kmanc, I am 6'0" and my wrist-to-floor length is 31 1/4". They ordered standard length. The employee conducting the fitting had me going through all the motions and decided I would be best fit with the "yellow dot".

But you were hitting the heel side of the impact tape? Was that before or after trying a yellow?

That was before trying the yellow. He had me using the black dot and after using the impact tape and lie board that is what he recommended.

That was before trying the yellow. He had me using the black dot and after using the impact tape and lie board that is what he recommended.

Did you hit a yellow dot with impact tape? With yellow being 1.5° upright, contact might be even more heel. Keep in mind I am not a ping fitter.

It sounds to me like you need to go through the process again. I'm not sure your swing or your fitter helped in the process. I'd go back and give it another try.

If you did not get your contact more centered, you need to be refit. How did they determine your shaft flex?

I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has gone through the custom fitting process. I recently went out to Golf Galaxy and purchased a set of Ping i20's, and was fitted for them while out there.

Being the way that I am, I became slightly nervous during my fitting session because I was thinking about the inconsistencies of my swing and how that will be applied to my new irons. My previous iron (TM R7's) were bought off the rack and I played them fairly well. After about 6 yrs or so I wanted to make an upgrade and get properly fitted for my new set.

The employee at GG was great to work with but as I was taking swings I was struggling a little bit and most of the ball marks on the striking tape were located towards the heel of the club. He mentioned my swing plane was the issue and as we went through the fitting process I kept thinking, if I am not hitting the ball consistently well during this fitting session is this going to affect my iron set specs. There are days when I hit the ball extremely well and others where I struggle, much like the other night getting fitted. Anyways, I was fitted with the Yellow dot for my Ping i20's, but if I was striking the ball better that night would I have been fitted for say, the black dot? I have taken lessons over the past two years and play roughly twice week, three if I am lucky during the warm season.

Thank you

Tadashi70, the order was put through already. I am hoping this fitter took my average swing into consideration when observing and making recommendations for the irons.

He utilized trackman and based it off swing speed. in retrospect, I wish I had just bought off the rack again and played standard clubs.

If you are that concerned and just made the order, the retailer can cancel it with Ping without an issue. If they are truly interested in improving your golf game and not just worried about selling a set, then they will work with you further. Did you try different flexes?

He utilized trackman and based it off swing speed. in retrospect, I wish I had just bought off the rack again and played standard clubs.

Your golf galaxy has a track man! That's super impressive.

Tadashi70, the order was put through already. I am hoping this fitter took my average swing into consideration when observing and making recommendations for the irons.

I would still go through another fitting. You have zero confidence your made the right choice.

Call or go in tomorrow and cancel it if you just ordered them in the last couple days.

Im with Tadashi you need to go through another fitting. I'd recommend looking up an authorized Ping fitter who has a full fitting cart.

Thank you

Granted it's been a while since I've done a clubfitting but if you were getting heel face contact I would have worked to get the toe down (flatter lie angle) and adjusted the length of the club in your hands (to move contact to center face) or a combination of both. To answer your question, yes, you can be fitted poorly and affect your fitted irons. One thing you can do, if you feel that you've had a poor experience, is contact Ping directly. In my experience they have great customer service. I'm not sure how far it will get you but they are great with people who have bought custom fit clubs with them.

I would definitely call and cancel the order. After the fitting you should be feeling confident about the clubs. During a fitting if you find yourself struggling with your swing, then you should ask for a reschedule.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Planning on getting my first club fitting in the near future and the OP had some of the same concerns I had.
I've been trying new things with my swing lately and was wondering how that could effect my fitting.
Found this statement on one of the club fitting sites. Wondering if you guys agree with it.

"custom fitting is beneficial only if the golfer produces the same swing the majority of the time. If changes are made to a manufacturer's standard specs in order to suit the golfer's current swing, then the golfer may expect positive results, as long as the swing is consistent 70% of the time."

Planning on getting my first club fitting in the near future and the OP had some of the same concerns I had.
I've been trying new things with my swing lately and was wondering how that could effect my fitting.
Found this statement on one of the club fitting sites. Wondering if you guys agree with it.

"custom fitting is beneficial only if the golfer produces the same swing the majority of the time. If changes are made to a manufacturer's standard specs in order to suit the golfer's current swing, then the golfer may expect positive results, as long as the swing is consistent 70% of the time."

This is where my Golftec coach stepped in. Basically he explained, sure he can bend upright / flat etc and get me a straighter ball flight OR I could make a couple swing changes and hit it properly. There's that fine line know what im saying? I took his advice last season and worked on my swing, now this season im hoping to complete the fitting process. Basically to the OP money is better spent on lessons than club changes imo. Now if you've got the consistency like moose was saying then I think a fitting will take you to the next level. I'm hoping so anyways haha

Back