DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see some activity in this thread again. It had gone quiet the past couple weeks. Of course I know the lousy weather we've been having contributed to that.

A spring get together sounds good to me.

Good call on Laural Hills I need to get back to that track this Spring. It has been a couple years but I remember really enjoying the challenge. Great value and it is a county course which is pretty great. They played a US Amateur tournament this past Summer I believe.

Yeah. I think it was the US Publinks. Those boys put up some pretty good scores, and played it all the way back.

I didn't make it out to watch but some buddies did. It was during that brutal hot stretch and they were playing 36 holes some days. Pretty impressive.

Yeah. I think it was the US Publinks. Those boys put up some pretty good scores, and played it all the way back.

I didn't make it out to watch but some buddies did. It was during that brutal hot stretch and they were playing 36 holes some days. Pretty impressive.

Yeah thats it didn't get a chance to watch any of it but would have liked to.

Really would like to go play there this Spring. Such a great course and rigg in our back yard.

Where do you live again?

I have played a lot of courses and still think my club, Heritage Hunt is tough. Playing from the member tees it's tough. Play from the white and it's a different story, so my shorter. River creek is another that has my number.

I have played a lot of courses and still think my club, Heritage Hunt is tough. Playing from the member tees it's tough. Play from the white and it's a different story, so my shorter. River creek is another that has my number.

Only played HH once as a guest and I agree - it was surprisingly tough. Didn't look like it would be but it was. Also big spread from member to white - roughly 6500 to 5700+ drop - kinda no middle ground.

Only played HH once as a guest and I agree - it was surprisingly tough. Didn't look like it would be but it was. Also big spread from member to white - roughly 6500 to 5700+ drop - kinda no middle ground.

I shoot anywhere from 80's to 90's from the member tee's. Whites I am usually 80's. It's a surprisingly tough course and it doesn't look like it. Very sneaky...

Maybe this spring we can get a group of THP'ers to play it. I am sure I could get a discount rate. Or we could play Bull Run, that is my favorite course in this area.

I really haven't played that many yet but one that I will never forget is Generals Ridge. It was pretty tough, really tight fairways and a lot of dog legs into tough greens.

One of the greens all of my group 4 putted.

Not sure if anyone else has played there but I will never go back fun to play once but not worth it.

This is the only course I've played that I have little to no interest in going to again. Sooo many blind shots. If you don't know exactly where you're going, you're screwed. Played with someone who plays there a lot. More than a few times he'd tell me 'nice drive' only to find I was in a hazard. Definitely take a detailed GPS or yardage book if you play this one. They should pimp that when you're paying for your greens fees...

Nice. I am in Annandale and I try and get out to Twin Lakes when I can. I actually think they are really good courses for the money. I have also played Reston National but that was a couple years ago.

Old Hickory is definitely worth the trip and price. Might be a great destination for an informal THP meet up in the Spring or Summer.

Never played Pleasant Valley where is that?

Great idea - we'll have to make that happen!

Pleasant Valley is in Chantilly, just a little ways off rte 28 and between 29 and 50. Pretty easy shot off I-66. Nice straightforward track with not a bunch of serious trouble spots.
Have not been to Twin Lakes in a while; even tho' they have 2 courses, always seemed really crowded to me.
cheers, marty

Down for either of these. I play PV a few times a year at least. Nice track with some challenging holes.

Yeah thats it didn't get a chance to watch any of it but would have liked to.

Really would like to go play there this Spring. Such a great course and rigg in our back yard.

Where do you live again?
Live in Howard County..(Columbia). My home courses are Waverly Woods, Blue Mash and Timbers at Troy. Although it's tough to say I have a home course when I didn't play near as much in 2013 as I have in years past.

Down for either of these. I play PV a few times a year at least. Nice track with some challenging holes.
I grabbed that "Players' Pass" deal for 2014 season at Pleasant Valley, so I'll be there a bunch I hope. - still determined to make it over and try its sister course around the corner - South Riding GC - just not made it there yet.

I grabbed that "Players' Pass" deal for 2014 season at Pleasant Valley, so I'll be there a bunch I hope. - still determined to make it over and try its sister course around the corner - South Riding GC - just not made it there yet.

I play in a league at SR, as it's in my neighborhood. The management let it languish just a bit, but it seems like they were trying to bring it back at the end of the year. Last I heard, they were in the process of re-doing all the bunkers. Other than a couple of tee boxes, the bunkers were the main point of contention. Fairways and greens are usually in good shape. Some patches of rough can be a little... interesting... :D All in all a good course though. Only reason I don't play there more is that I like the variety. At SR, I've basically got a playbook for the whole course.

Players pass is a great deal. Make sure you use the range balls if you bought that option. You can get two free buckets a day if you don't mind driving from one course to the other...

I play in a league at SR, as it's in my neighborhood. The management let it languish just a bit, but it seems like they were trying to bring it back at the end of the year. Last I heard, they were in the process of re-doing all the bunkers. Other than a couple of tee boxes, the bunkers were the main point of contention. Fairways and greens are usually in good shape. Some patches of rough can be a little... interesting... :D All in all a good course though. Only reason I don't play there more is that I like the variety. At SR, I've basically got a playbook for the whole course.

Players pass is a great deal. Make sure you use the range balls if you bought that option. You can get two free buckets a day if you don't mind driving from one course to the other...
Funny, played with a SR member over at PV and he too mentioned the bunker problems. Sounds like an ongoing issue in search of a fix. Ironically the PV ones are pretty darn good and it's the same management.
And yes, I got the full deal with range privileges.
Once we get to April I'll give you a shout to see if you're free to tee it up at one of 'em.
In addition to the "area" get-together at Old Hickory or one of the others mentioned above, of course.

Last edited:
Funny, played with a SR member over at PV and he too mentioned the bunker problems. Sounds like an ongoing issue in search of a fix. Ironically the PV ones are pretty darn good and it's the same management.
And yes, I got the full deal with range privileges.
Once we get to April I'll give you a shout to see if you're free to tee it up at one of 'em.
In addition to the "area" get-together at Old Hickory or one of the others mentioned above, of course.

Definitely!

Yeah, I think they spent a good amount on the ones at PV and needed some time before tackling SR. Hoping they have them all done by next spring. They were starting at the end of the main season this year. May have to sneak a round in to check it out if the weather holds over a weekend around here.

This is the only course I've played that I have little to no interest in going to again. Sooo many blind shots. If you don't know exactly where you're going, you're screwed. Played with someone who plays there a lot. More than a few times he'd tell me 'nice drive' only to find I was in a hazard. Definitely take a detailed GPS or yardage book if you play this one. They should pimp that when you're paying for your greens fees...

The Gauntlet in Fredricksburg is similar to what you describe. A lot of blind shots. A very hard course to play unless you are a regular there.

Good call on Laural Hills I need to get back to that track this Spring. It has been a couple years but I remember really enjoying the challenge. Great value and it is a county course which is pretty great. They played a US Amateur tournament this past Summer I believe.

I volunteer at Laurel Hills so let me know when you plan to play out there. I'll probably join you. Depending on the time of day I might be able to get you on for cart fee of $25.

I volunteer at Laurel Hills so let me know when you plan to play out there. I'll probably join you. Depending on the time of day I might be able to get you on for cart fee of $25.

Awesome that would be great! I will PM you with a couple times and hopefully we can make it happen. How is the course doing this Winter?

Awesome that would be great! I will PM you with a couple times and hopefully we can make it happen. How is the course doing this Winter?

OK. I normally play on Friday or Saturday afternoons. I can normally get everyone in my group the cart fee rate.

As for the course. It's still in great shape. It's cart path only from now until the spring to let the fairways grow back in thick.

OK. I normally play on Friday or Saturday afternoons. I can normally get everyone in my group the cart fee rate.

As for the course. It's still in great shape. It's cart path only from now until the spring to let the fairways grow back in thick.

When they say cart path only, is that just for motorized carts or for push carts as well?

When they say cart path only, is that just for motorized carts or for push carts as well?

It's for motorized carts only. I've only seen a few people use a push cart. A lot of high school & college kids walk the course. There are a few holes that would be tough to walk. Hole #3 is an uphill par 4 & then there is a pretty long distance between hole #9 and #10.

I've considered walking it, but just haven't brought out my clicgear yet.

Good local sweater deal

Good local sweater deal

Hey gang,
If any of you happen to shop at Golfdom at Tyson's Corner they've had an awesome deal on very nice quality Fully-lined Merino Wool Full Zip sweaters for about $50 - seen here:
http://www.globalgolf.com/product/a...tent=plusbox&gclid=CNWh3tSbzLsCFXHxOgodl0MAFQ
(couldn't find picture on FJ site).

Started at $195, were on FJ closeout table at back of store marked 35% off and then got 60% off at register. This was late afternoon yesterday, Christmas eve and they had good selection left of both Blue and Heather Grey.
Sorry, I snagged the last 2xl grey one :act-up:
I'm guessing deal will continue after the holiday.

Hey gang,
If any of you happen to shop at Golfdom at Tyson's Corner they've had an awesome deal on very nice quality Fully-lined Merino Wool Full Zip sweaters for about $50 - seen here:
http://www.globalgolf.com/product/a...tent=plusbox&gclid=CNWh3tSbzLsCFXHxOgodl0MAFQ
(couldn't find picture on FJ site).

Started at $195, were on FJ closeout table at back of store marked 35% off and then got 60% off at register. This was late afternoon yesterday, Christmas eve and they had good selection left of both Blue and Heather Grey.
Sorry, I snagged the last 2xl grey one :act-up:
I'm guessing deal will continue after the holiday.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't been to Golfdom lately since they opened a Golfsmith about a mile from my house in Woodbridge.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't been to Golfdom lately since they opened a Golfsmith about a mile from my house in Woodbridge.
Can't say that I blame you. Golfdom not known for giving things away. I started dropping in more often once a pretty good old-time club-maker I knew (Jim) started working there. Pretty knowledgable guy, and enjoyable to chat with him.
P.S. he is a big fan of those UST Recoil shafts you show as in your bag

Can't say that I blame you. Golfdom not known for giving things away. I started dropping in more often once a pretty good old-time club-maker I knew (Jim) started working there. Pretty knowledgable guy, and enjoyable to chat with him.
P.S. he is a big fan of those UST Recoil shafts you show as in your bag

The Golfsmith opened in Woodbridge a little over a year ago. Before that I would travel to Golfdom or Golf Galaxy in Fairfax to look at clubs.

Have you guys heard about Annandale Golf? It is a little local golf shop that I have been going to for years the prices aren't great but the best part is you can negotiate. They also have an excellent used selection which I really enjoy again prices are negotiable.

Worth checking out if you are in the area.

Have you guys heard about Annandale Golf? It is a little local golf shop that I have been going to for years the prices aren't great but the best part is you can negotiate. They also have an excellent used selection which I really enjoy again prices are negotiable.

Worth checking out if you are in the area.

I have heard of it, but never went there. & I used to live on Duke St near the mall so I'm sure I wasn't far away.

I have heard of it, but never went there. & I used to live on Duke St near the mall so I'm sure I wasn't far away.

Yeah it is on Braddock just outside of the Beltway next to Kilroys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back