DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have played VA Oaks probably 10 times, last year they lost one of the 9's, but it has come back.

I lived on the 18th green of virginia oaks back in 2005-07. What happened to it?

I'm subscribing to this thread because my work will be taking me back to NOVA next year most likely. Will be commuting back to MI most weekends but staying there probably one weekend a month on average and will be looking to play as often as I can those weekends.

I lived on the 18th green of virginia oaks back in 2005-07. What happened to it?

Some pumps went down so no water on one of the 9's. It was brutal, but seems to have come back. I joined Heritage Hunt, just up the road from VA Oaks and HH is always in great shape. It can be slow at times but still a tough/fun course.

Some pumps went down so no water on one of the 9's. It was brutal, but seems to have come back. I joined Heritage Hunt, just up the road from VA Oaks and HH is always in great shape. It can be slow at times but still a tough/fun course.

My parents were looking at moving to Heritage Hunt at one point. Never played that course. I would like to play VA Oaks again someday with the game I currently have (and hopefully improve on). When I lived there, I was not focused on improving my golf game in the least, I'd just go and hack it around. I can proudly say though that I never hit one in the water on #9. :)

Pretty excited that THP is headed to the area in 2014.

My parents were looking at moving to Heritage Hunt at one point. Never played that course. I would like to play VA Oaks again someday with the game I currently have (and hopefully improve on). When I lived there, I was not focused on improving my golf game in the least, I'd just go and hack it around. I can proudly say though that I never hit one in the water on #9. :)

Ha, luckily I have not put it in the water either. If you come back to VA I can take you to Heritage for a round if you wish or tee it up at VAOaks.

DC MD VA Area Chat

Ha, luckily I have not put it in the water either. If you come back to VA I can take you to Heritage for a round if you wish or tee it up at VAOaks.

Don't interpret that is meaning every shot found the green. Just that no shots found the water. ;-)

I'll PM you when/if I'm back in town during the 2014 golf season.

Ignoring my responsibilities with my head buried in my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty excited to welcome the THP family to our neck of the woods

So pumped that you guys are gonna make to the area! Don't worry about the traffic and navigation we have you covered. Might have to make this a yearly tradition. Cant wait to see you and Morgan again.

I'm subscribing to this thread because my work will be taking me back to NOVA next year most likely. Will be commuting back to MI most weekends but staying there probably one weekend a month on average and will be looking to play as often as I can those weekends.

Good stuff. Let me know when you are here I am always up for a round year round, no fair weather golfers here.

We're definitely thrilled that the THP Tour Van will be traveling to Maryland.

We look forward to hosting you both and the rest of the THP family.

What do you all think is the toughest course in the DC area?

So pumped that you guys are gonna make to the area! Don't worry about the traffic and navigation we have you covered. Might have to make this a yearly tradition. Cant wait to see you and Morgan again.

When are going to make it to the area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was told in the 90s Gunston (Ft Belvoir) held a US Open qualifier. Only a few guys broke par...they never came back because they said it was too hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I really haven't played that many yet but one that I will never forget is Generals Ridge. It was pretty tough, really tight fairways and a lot of dog legs into tough greens.

One of the greens all of my group 4 putted.

Not sure if anyone else has played there but I will never go back fun to play once but not worth it.

A few get my choice. Laurel Hills in Lorton is very long and a lot if forced carries and uphill holes. The par 5 15th is crazy long.

Another course PB Dye in Ijamisville at one point was rated one of top 50 hardest public courses in the US

A few get my choice. Laurel Hills in Lorton is very long and a lot if forced carries and uphill holes. The par 5 15th is crazy long.

Another course PB Dye in Ijamisville at one point was rated one of top 50 hardest public courses in the US

Good call on Laural Hills I need to get back to that track this Spring. It has been a couple years but I remember really enjoying the challenge. Great value and it is a county course which is pretty great. They played a US Amateur tournament this past Summer I believe.

Last edited:
Kinda new to the area and haven't played a lot of them yet but, when I played Virginia Oaks I kept saying to myself "this shouldn't be this hard". Nice looking but at times it was a bear!

Kinda new to the area and haven't played a lot of them yet but, when I played Virginia Oaks I kept saying to myself "this shouldn't be this hard". Nice looking but at times it was a bear!

Nice I haven't played VA Oaks yet. Where in the area are you?

Played PD Dye a year and a half ago. It was tough, shot high 80s. Lots of elevated greens and mini golf type of greens.

Nice I haven't played VA Oaks yet. Where in the area are you?

Just moved into Oakton earlier this year, after a brief stint in Fairfax. Have played mostly at Pleasant Valley and Reston National after trying Twin Lakes, Va. Oaks and a couple of others. Definitely have to try Old Hickory in 2014 after reading about it in this thread.

Just moved into Oakton earlier this year, after a brief stint in Fairfax. Have played mostly at Pleasant Valley and Reston National after trying Twin Lakes, Va. Oaks and a couple of others. Definitely have to try Old Hickory in 2014 after reading about it in this thread.

Nice. I am in Annandale and I try and get out to Twin Lakes when I can. I actually think they are really good courses for the money. I have also played Reston National but that was a couple years ago.

Old Hickory is definitely worth the trip and price. Might be a great destination for an informal THP meet up in the Spring or Summer.

Never played Pleasant Valley where is that?

Old Hickory is definitely worth the trip and price. Might be a great destination for an informal THP meet up in the Spring or Summer.

Great idea - we'll have to make that happen!

Pleasant Valley is in Chantilly, just a little ways off rte 28 and between 29 and 50. Pretty easy shot off I-66. Nice straightforward track with not a bunch of serious trouble spots.
Have not been to Twin Lakes in a while; even tho' they have 2 courses, always seemed really crowded to me.
cheers, marty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back