Deal to beat all deals!

------

The first quote above is the OP asking if the OP should pursue the transaction further. The next quotes are all folks saying yes, and this is just a sample from the first page...there are many more. You're right in that they aren't saying he should get it for free. They are saying he should get it for $3. The focus later shifted to filing a complaint instead, but these (and the others) are the posts I was referring to.

You're really reading a lot into those quotes. Either way, the seller should have handled it better and more professionally and it would've been a moot point.

You're right in that they aren't saying he should get it for free. They are saying he should get it for $3. The focus later shifted to filing a complaint instead, but these (and the others) are the posts I was referring to.

Sure, I'll bite. He should get it for $3. That was the transaction. You can call it an honest mistake if you want, but what if the seller incorrectly listed it for $100? And what if the buyer paid the $100 for it? Now the buyer paid good money, but the seller refunds the money and tells the buyer he's an idiot for thinking he could buy it for that much. It's the principle of the transaction. I just don't buy the position that the high road is basically walking away and letting this guy mindlessly enter into contracts, then flip off anyone who accepts. The amount of money is irrelevant. And it's not some immoral unspeakable act if the buyer decides he wants to enforce the contract.

Sure, I'll bite. He should get it for $3. That was the transaction. You can call it an honest mistake if you want, but what if the seller incorrectly listed it for $100? And what if the buyer paid the $100 for it? Now the buyer paid good money, but the seller refunds the money and tells the buyer he's an idiot for thinking he could buy it for that much. It's the principle of the transaction. I just don't buy the position that the high road is basically walking away and letting this guy mindlessly enter into contracts, then flip off anyone who accepts. The amount of money is irrelevant. And it's not some immoral unspeakable act if the buyer decides he wants to enforce the contract.

The (should be) obvious difference is that $100 would not be such a blatantly obvious mistake. There is no reasonable position to take that the guy intentionally listed the driver for under $3. So yes, the amount is entirely relevant. Also, you're right that it's not unspeakable, but is of low character. It is important to note that the OP is not doing that...just wanted to point that out.

I've said my piece...won't continue to beat this dead horse.

you sure about that?

My understanding from my business law class was that in a situation like this where it's a clear mistake and the price would not be logical.

So in a situation like this the sale would not hold up as it's a clear mistake by the seller that the buyer purposefully tried to take advantage of.

Sure the guy was a dick and could have handled it better but that doesn't mean that he's forced to sell it.

All said, it is on the seller to verify the purchase price for the product being listed. You get a confirmation email that shows what it is listed for, and even a neat little link to revise the listing should anything be wrong. There was ample chance for him to catch his mistake. It makes it hard justify/have sympathy for his attitude towards the buyer for something that was easily prevented with a little bit of checking. Not saying it couldn't be a mistake, just that he had no place being such a prick and deserves any sort of ill will related to the transaction others may have, in my mind.

you sure about that?

My understanding from my business law class was that in a situation like this where it's a clear mistake and the price would not be logical.

So in a situation like this the sale would not hold up as it's a clear mistake by the seller that the buyer purposefully tried to take advantage of.

Sure the guy was a dick and could have handled it better but that doesn't mean that he's forced to sell it.

Yes, I'm sure the buyer is able to enforce the transaction if he wants. We've been talking about the buyer's right to enforce the transaction. Talking about whether a contract was actually formed is a different issue. You are right that the seller could argue that his mistake means a contract was never made, but now you have to get in to how long the club was posted for that price, how many different things he clicked on that he was absolutely sure he wanted to list the product at that price and everything else in place by ebay so sellers can't have that argument, and considering it's an auction web site and that transactions frequently result in a benefit that is largely one sided to either buyer or seller, and that the seller at no point in time said he made a mistake, I don't think the purchase price alone would be enough to find there wasn't a contract.

At any rate, I don't understand the moral judgment by some of everyone that urged the buyer to pursue this further as being low character. I guess different strokes for different folks, but it's too self righteous for my taste. I think the point has been made that the seller was a dick and didn't really appreciate the gravity of the situation or handle it well. I wouldn't blame the buyer if he went after the seller.

And $295 for the R1? Aren't stores selling them now for $250? It is the best driver ever, but still.

I'd gladly laugh it off and take the refund if the seller had replied with it was an honest mistake, but it blows my mind that he replied with such a smart comment when it was nobodies fault but his own. I can't stand people who won't accept fault for their actions, I'd definitely pursue it now ..probably not the most mature thing to do, but I never claimed to be the most mature person in the world lol..

I see the conversation regarding the $2.99 R1 went on well after I went to bed. I appreciate everyone's thoughts, opinions and expertise regarding this issue. I contacted Ebay last night and informed them of the sellers actions around the entire transaction and am leaving it in their hands at this point which is what I thought was the right thing to do. In the end, I will not be swinging a $2.99 R1 driver and also will never hear anything again from that jack wagon who sold me the driver for that price and never apologized or admitted fault in anyway. But that's just the way some people are and nothing you or I can do will ever change that.

And $295 for the R1? Aren't stores selling them now for $250? It is the best driver ever, but still.

Actually, Budget Golf has been selling it for $199 for a couple weeks now. I know, because every day its been a battle not to hit submit on my cart...though my resolve is weakening

Sent from my Windows phone using Tapatalk

Guy may have been a little harsh but I just reread your paraphrase of his response and it honestly wasn't that bad. I'm kind of surprised by the thought that most on hear feel a minor slight should cost the guy $295. Does seem to be out of character for THP where so many go out of their way to be nice.
What you might think is out of character by THP folks is people standing up. People in this country, in general are tired of getting screwed and the attitude of people everywhere is out of hand. People are not nice nor considerate of anyone. Our dip wad leaders in this country teach us to be disrespectful to other folks or tell them to screw off if you do not agree with them. The guy made a mistake, everyone agrees to this, but when he threw it back in the face of the buyer and acting like it was the buyers fault and being a disrespectful idiot, why would you not want to teach them a lesson.

Back