Griff

Hey Man, Nice Shot
Reaction score
Handicap
Being nearly 100% content with my setup I went to a demo weekend with only 1 mission, hit the i20 with stock steel. Did that and posted my thoughts in the i20 thread. After that I just wandered around and hit a bunch of random things.

Cleveland 588 irons 6I - TC asked me to hit these and glad he did. Only shaft I could find was DG S300. Wow, what a great iron! Even in a shaft that is far heavier and rigid than I prefer I was getting a much higher flight than I thought I would. Ball really got up there. FAR more forgiving than I expected at address. I could game these in a flash. Easy to launch, killer feel, and I felt in control. Loved looking down at these. TC you'll love these bad boys!

Cleveland Black Irons 6I - Dying to try the Miyazaki graphite iron shaft. Holy cow I was making it rain with this combo. Extremely high flight. I mean crazy high. No way I could do this combo. Maybe in an iron without a big sole things could get under control flight wise. Loved the look at address, very sleek and very easy to hit iron.

Cleveland Classic Driver - Hit the 10.5 in reg and stiff. Was all over the place with this club. Left, right, high...don't think I hit 2 similar drives back to back. Looks really awesome, feel was a little mushy, stock Miyazaki didn't seem to be a good fit for me.

Ping G20 Driver - Maybe I was expecting too much, but this one was only average for me. 10.5 stock reg. Can really feel and see the power at impact. Past that the results didn't seem to be any better than average. It seems to be hotter than my K15 but I really don't think it was longer or more accurate. I did like the ball flight, nothing got too high.

Ping G20 Hybrid
- Way better than the K15 or G15. This club is so easy to hit it should be cheating. If I was forced to buy something it would have been this one. I hit the 23 with the stock tour reg. Actually like the look at address. Me and some guy in Alaska may be the only ones. What a nice club!

Ping i20 Hybrid - Point of a hybrid is to make life easier. I found the 23* i20 hybrid to be no easier to hit than the i20 4 iron. This club wouldn't do much for me in play. Looks sexy as heck though.

Wilson Fybrid RS
- Except the shaft, really liked this one. Much better than the previous HS model. Stupid easy to hit and quite long. Very easy off the grass. Think I'd prefer a shaft that launches a little higher. Didn't like the 3W trajectory I was seeing on some shots. Maybe it was my swing.

Wilson Ci11 Irons
- Liked hitting this one. Nice flight and good accuracy. Feel was a little indifferent to me. Also tended to hit behind the ball, but that's probably a fitting/swing thing. Looks really nice on the ground and I had a lot of confidence at address. Didn't spend a lot of time with these, maybe 7 shots.

Callaway RAZR Fit Driver - If I was in need of a driver this would be at the top of the list. Feel was a little soft, but I was killing this one. Tried it in a Radix and man o man what a combo. I could've put the cover on, got to my bag, and started walking before some of them came down. Not that I was hitting them super high, they just kept going and going. Had one hook and one slice of the 25 or so I hit. Everything else had a tiny tail to the right or dead straight. One of my favorite clubs of the weekend.

Callaway RAZR X Irons
- Asked for a light weight steel regular flex and he handed me a uniflex. Bah, I'm too good to use uniflex. Wrong wrong wrong. Very nice shaft if you ask me. Yes it was a highish flight, but extremely consistent. These irons are really hot and the 7I I was using was blowing away the 150 mark. Long, forgiving, consistent....awesome iron.

Tayormade ATV Wedge 56* - Wanted to hit this one to see how it did out of lousy lies. I was pretty impressed. I hit at the rear of old divots and stood on some balls to get my lies as bad as possible. Popped them right out with no problems. Feel was pretty good, but not as precise as I was expecting from a standalone wedge. Spin, who knows. Nothing to hit to other than a patch of rough.

Taylormade MC Irons
- Easier to hit than appearances. Very consistent and shots that I caught low on the face got OK distance. There wasn't enough to like about these to make me hit more than 10 or so balls.

Mizuno MP 53 Irons - Everything I hit with these was low and out toward the toe. Never caught one clean enough to get a handle on that nice feel Mizuno irons can give. Even with my swing being off these were solid irons. Looking at them you'd think to be murdered on slight mishits. Of the MP series I've hit in the past these would come the closest to being used in play.

I think that covers everything I hit. Feel free to ask me any specific questions. No way I can give all the info in one post. Had a lot of fun and left with my wallet intact.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I appreciate you going out of your way to hit an iron like the 588 dude! Your feedback means a lot.

What shaft was in the Fybrid you hit?

Awesome.... I need to get to a nice demo day soon.... and now I really want to try out those 588 irons...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I appreciate you going out of your way to hit an iron like the 588 dude! Your feedback means a lot.

What shaft was in the Fybrid you hit?

You got it big man. 588s and the i20s are similar, but different. I could easily use the 588s as the results were so consistent. Heck, I was swinging them with a superweight shaft in a flex too high and I was enjoying them. Being fit? Forget it, fantastic iron.

Hmm, would've been the stock white and red VTS in the Fybrid. That a lower launch shaft? Maybe it was just my swing that was causing some lower shots.

You got it big man. 588s and the i20s are similar, but different. I could easily use the 588s as the results were so consistent. Heck, I was swinging them with a superweight shaft in a flex too high and I was enjoying them. Being fit? Forget it, fantastic iron.

Hmm, would've been the stock white and red VTS in the Fybrid. That a lower launch shaft? Maybe it was just my swing that was causing some lower shots.

I have the VTS in mine, and truthfully, I don't know what the launch profile is supposed to be. I don't have a problem with the flight being too low though. What did you think about the sound? And the stock length?

Thank you Griff for posting up your thoughts. Nice to get feedback about the 588's from another person hitting them outdoors. Interesting how high the S300 was putting you.

--
Tapatalk2

I have the VTS in mine, and truthfully, I don't know what the launch profile is supposed to be. I don't have a problem with the flight being too low though. What did you think about the sound? And the stock length?

The sound was sweet. I should've teed one up to get the full experience. Now that I think about it I didn't 2x check the flex on the Fybrid. I could've been hitting stiff and that would explain the lower flight. Either way it's a good deal better than the HS model if you ask me. Over 200 easy for me, probably 5W distance. Think that's what you meant length wise. If it's club length I didn't notice it to be too long to make me want to shorten it up.

Thank you Griff for posting up your thoughts. Nice to get feedback about the 588's from another person hitting them outdoors. Interesting how high the S300 was putting you.

--
Tapatalk2

That was strange SW. I expected low shots with that shaft and my swing for sure. Not what I was seeing at all. I have no logical explanation. Strikes were dead middle or middle slightly to the toe.

That was strange SW. I expected low shots with that shaft and my swing for sure. Not what I was seeing at all. I have no logical explanation. Strikes were dead middle or middle slightly to the toe.

The bolded is what blew me away, those shots aren't killed nearly as bad as I thought. Very pleasant surprise.

--
Tapatalk2

The sound was sweet. I should've teed one up to get the full experience. Now that I think about it I didn't 2x check the flex on the Fybrid. I could've been hitting stiff and that would explain the lower flight. Either way it's a good deal better than the HS model if you ask me. Over 200 easy for me, probably 5W distance. Think that's what you meant length wise. If it's club length I didn't notice it to be too long to make me want to shorten it up.

I love the sound at impact. The Fybrid line is a little shorter (actual length) than most of its competition. The darn thing is super straight though. I'm glad you got a chance to try them out. Thank for the write up!

The bolded is what blew me away, those shots aren't killed nearly as bad as I thought. Very pleasant surprise.

--
Tapatalk2

Similar to the i20s in that regard. 588s and the i20s could be the best irons of the year based on what I've hit so far.

I love the sound at impact. The Fybrid line is a little shorter (actual length) than most of its competition. The darn thing is super straight though. I'm glad you got a chance to try them out. Thank for the write up!

:thumb:

Wow that's a pretty nice demo day! Thanks for your thoughts. I wish we had demo days like that here, W/S and Cleveland don't have much presence here in the northwoods.

Nice recap, Griff!

How did the 588's and i20's compare in size?

Nice recap, Griff!

How did the 588's and i20's compare in size?

The 588s seemed slightly smaller at address. Seemed smaller in hand as well. Was actually surprised how compact the 588s were when I first picked one up. Both are little compared to some of the beefier irons I hit.

Back