DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

Played there a couple of years ago and have not gone back, course wa okay, price higher than the course, and the staff was extremely aloof and got the feeling i should say thank you for allowing me to be there

I will add i was with 3 others and we all arrived separate but all seemed to get the same type of vibe, i live north of Frisco and it was to meet some friends from south areas for a game. Too many courses up this way to play

Staff is still meh but the course and price are spot on for a round. Evening rounds are only 35 or so.

The course we joined this year, Oak Hollow, the McKinney municipal course, will be redoing all 18 greens starting June 1. They don't anticipate reopening until mid-September. As a result, we are looking for somewhere else to play at a reasonable cost during the shutdown, and The Trails of Frisco seems to fit that bill based on their website. Anyone know what kind of shape it is in? Of course, it wouldn't take much to exceed the course conditions at Oak Hollow. o_O
I just played there on Sunday. Course was in OK shape overall, but was very surprised that fairways and greens were so dry with all the rain we have had. Some of the greens though were in rough shape with some crabgrass. Nothing that would stop me from playing there again soon though. Was an enjoyable round and a nice layout.

The course we joined this year, Oak Hollow, the McKinney municipal course, will be redoing all 18 greens starting June 1. They don't anticipate reopening until mid-September. As a result, we are looking for somewhere else to play at a reasonable cost during the shutdown, and The Trails of Frisco seems to fit that bill based on their website. Anyone know what kind of shape it is in? Of course, it wouldn't take much to exceed the course conditions at Oak Hollow. o_O
Man, I have not played Oak Hollow in years......

Man, I have not played Oak Hollow in years......
It hasn't changed much. Lots of worm castings, making for very muddy shoes early in the mornings. Fairways are pretty thin. Lots of ruts off the fairways and the greens do need replacing. Some aren't too bad, but a lot of them are overrun with poa annua. They have added a 4th set of tees, senior tees, that are at the back of the forward tee boxes. The 8th is much more playable from the senior tees.

It hasn't changed much. Lots of worm castings, making for very muddy shoes early in the mornings. Fairways are pretty thin. Lots of ruts off the fairways and the greens do need replacing. Some aren't too bad, but a lot of them are overrun with poa annua. They have added a 4th set of tees, senior tees, that are at the back of the forward tee boxes. The 8th is much more playable from the senior tees.
the 8th is an easy hole if you blow it up over the trees to 16 fairway and play the second shot from there

Frisco Lakes is a really nice course. (y)

How are the conditions? The last time I played there (think it was 21), it was rough. Nice layout, but fairways and tee boxes were rough for a summer day. One fairway on the back 9 (I think 14 or 15) had huge bare spots on it. I was kind of embarrassed as I took a new coworker out there and told him it was a nice course.

I haven't been back since the price hike because I just can't see it being a $115 course.

It used to playe

I just played there on Sunday. Course was in OK shape overall, but was very surprised that fairways and greens were so dry with all the rain we have had. Some of the greens though were in rough shape with some crabgrass. Nothing that would stop me from playing there again soon though. Was an enjoyable round and a nice layout.

Trails of Frisco seems to be in that mix of courses in that area that could be nice with some investment and TLC, but often seem a bit rougher than they should be.

Trails of Frisco, Ridgeview Ranch, Plantation and Twin Creeks all fall in that category. The area seems to be ripe for a really nice daily fee course, but has a lot of 'OK but not great' courses.

Played Rangers today in a company tournament. It was in amazing shape.
dfd2b6e1538a64ce211a14959b388160.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's usually a cliche/lazy joke to bag on the folks doing the weather report. But could they have gotten today any more wrong. I considered the weekend a wash based on a forecast of heavy rain all weekend. And the weather has been absolutely perfect for golf today. i regret not trying to get on walk-on list this morning. I bet a lot of people had cancelled after seeing the forecast.

It's usually a cliche/lazy joke to bag on the folks doing the weather report. But could they have gotten today any more wrong. I considered the weekend a wash based on a forecast of heavy rain all weekend. And the weather has been absolutely perfect for golf today. i regret not trying to get on walk-on list this morning. I bet a lot of people had cancelled after seeing the forecast.

100%. I almost cancelled my tee time but glad I didn’t.

Played Oeste this morning (near Weatherford) and it sprinkled for 2 holes at 730am...then...was perfect. Nearly canceled it, glad we didn't. 50% chance all next week....lol

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reminds me of that episode from Curb your Enthusiasm where the weather man predicted heavy rains and had the course to himself. Awesome show!

Glad it did not rain us out, played in a charity tournament at Champions and my 75 yr old friend had a hole in one.

Heard the "new" layout is terrible at Champs. Haven't played there a long time, prior to the Big Shots place being there...

Played Fossil Creek today for the first time in awhile. The course pro told us over 300 trees removed and redid all bunkers. The course is definitely more "open" and it's in excellent shape...zero poa on the greens, a couple have thinner grass in spots, but ball still rolls fine thru them. Layout has always just been OK to me, too much spot golf and not much risk/reward opportunity.
2be1177601ca095a4604e2f74a9a97ef.jpg
e512d618ced5dc18c3e083470abbf793.jpg

Heard the "new" layout is terrible at Champs. Haven't played there a long time, prior to the Big Shots place being there...

I've played there once since the redesign. The back 9 is funky now. They removed the old #11 hole and have back-to-back par 3's. Three of the par 4's are noticeably short as well. I'm sure they made a lot of money on the sale, but it took some enjoyment out of the course.

Played Fossil Creek today for the first time in awhile. The course pro told us over 300 trees removed and redid all bunkers. The course is definitely more "open" and it's in excellent shape...zero poa on the greens, a couple have thinner grass in spots, but ball still rolls fine thru them. Layout has always just been OK to me, too much spot golf and not much risk/reward opportunity.

Agree that Fossil is in really shape. It's still a sneaky tough course. I noticed the Slope rating has been updated to reflect how challenging it is.

I played there a few weeks ago on a windy day and it beat us up pretty good. I love the course though.

I've played there once since the redesign. The back 9 is funky now. They removed the old #11 hole and have back-to-back par 3's. Three of the par 4's are noticeably short as well. I'm sure they made a lot of money on the sale, but it took some enjoyment out of the course.

They removed the two holes where Big Shot is now and yes they added two short par 3's. It was surprisingly in decent shape for the amount of traffic they have there.

Guess I need to get back there as I have not played it in a while. I only live three minutes away. PS- Nate does not like it...lol

PS- Nate does not like it...lol

Oh I know...but I also understand, rarely need driver...200 yds off the tee plays all day

The new Frisco PGA course is up and running. They have 2 championship courses. The East course is walking only and requires you to hire a caddie. The rack rate is $347. The West cost doesn't require a caddie and you can take a cart. It's $277.

I assumed they would eclipse Cowboys as the most expensive course in town. I'll likely play the West course just to see what it's like.

But it'll like be a rare occasional treat after that.

The new Frisco PGA course is up and running. They have 2 championship courses. The East course is walking only and requires you to hire a caddie. The rack rate is $347. The West cost doesn't require a caddie and you can take a cart. It's $277.

I assumed they would eclipse Cowboys as the most expensive course in town. I'll likely play the West course just to see what it's like.

But it'll like be a rare occasional treat after that.
Did you ask what membership prices are? Don’t they also have a par 3 course as well?

Did you ask what membership prices are? Don’t they also have a par 3 course as well?
120,000 and 1k a month. If you live in Frisco it’s only 110k

120,000 and 1k a month. If you live in Frisco it’s only 110k
Gosh darn!!! I’m sure it’ll be booked up soon too. I know my buddy hates Stonebridge Ranch because of their conditions. He was up at Gentle Creek for a little bit, not sure why he left.

Back