Did I find something ..or am I just dillusional?

burmbuster

Reaction score
Handicap
OK. I was testing different irons on the range at lunch today. I have 5 different irons. I have always gripped my club with BOTH thumbs aligned down the shaft. I must have hit over 100 balls. The thumb on my cover hand started to get a blister on the pad. (I had been playing a fade. I have always played a fade.) So, I simply rapped my thumb over instead of having it aligned down the shaft and BAM, straight as an arrow. Does the wrap have me holding my wrist back longer on the down swing? Have I found something or am I crazy? All I know is its working.
Thanks,
Brad

I've always been told to keep my right thumb (I'm right handed) over the grip and my left thumb straight down the grip, but I'm sure the Pro will be along to explain the reason for this in detail.

I've always been told to keep my right thumb (I'm right handed) over the grip and my left thumb straight down the grip, but I'm sure the Pro will be along to explain the reason for this in detail.

Then maybe I'm not dilusional after all.

I'm glad you found a grip that works for you. I'll change my grip slightly ever so often. I just changed my grip yesterday. My change helped me keep the lag in my downswing. But, who knows, I may have to change it at the range tomorrow!

Guys....This is the Ask the Pro section. Please keep this clean until Andy our THP Resident pro has had a chance to respond.

Guys....This is the Ask the Pro section. Please keep this clean until Andy our THP Resident pro has had a chance to respond.

Party pooper.

'Sorry JB, I didn't check the forum heading.

My gut says that moving the thumb over has given you a slightly stronger grip, which isn't a bad thing. A stronger grip will allow you square the face a touch easier, and this would make sense with what you have seen out there.

Back