Did you ever quit golf, and then come back? Why?

I have not played for 15 years just getting back into it. I am going to try and be way better than i was last time around since it is like starting over.

Quit twice. The first time was due to constant global travel and being away from home 27 weekends a year, which lasted for about 5-years. More recently I missed 2 years due to health issues.

After playing 60-80 rounds/year from 1999-2006, I stopped playing around late-2006/early-2007. I didn't play for a year or so that time. I got frustrated because the course I was playing in Guam didn't keep up with their mowing. The fairways were maybe 1" thick and soft like hitting off a sponge. I got tired of trying to pick the ball clean and decided I didn't want to keep playing anymore.

In '08-'09, I played a handful of times with my oldest (he was 7-8 years old at that time) and I'll never forget when he birdied a "68 yard, par 3". I used to let him tee up about 1/3 of the way to the hole from the tee I was playing. Well, on this one, I had him hit from the #1 tee to the #6 (I think) green. He hit a decent shot and landed on the hillside short of the green. He grabbed his SW and nonchalantly pitched it in from about 15 yards away. I was excited. He didn't understand what the big deal was.

Anyway, I moved to NJ in 2009 and I played maybe 3-4 times in 2010 (my third time out was my +5, 77), 2011, 2012, and 2013. I don't recall playing at all in 2014 and 2015. Played a handful of times in the autumn of 2016 and picked it up full speed ahead in the spring of 2017.

I basically quit around 2000. I started back again last spring. The reason I quit was I started playing hockey. Well 3 shoulder and 1 hip surgery later I’m back playing golf. The funny part is after that much time off I’m actually better now than I was in my 30s.

Used to make trips to Afghanistan that affected my playing, but I wasn't taking the game very seriously back then.

Yes, 4 years off but it wasn't really by choice.. a bad left wrist sidelined me and then came saving for my wedding. I can't half ass golf so those years I just didn't play. If I get one 9 in during the early spring I can't stop so I just kept myself off the course until life improved.

I quit golf about 10 years ago, one reason I think I got burned out because I played so much. Another reason is I took up deer hunting at a late age and long-distance motorcycle riding. I couldn't have cared less about Golf and didn't think I'd ever play again. I sure did a lot of riding and a lot of hunting in those 10 years. A buddy at work kept badgering me into getting into golf so I played a few times in 2016 and about a dozen times in 2017. Then over the winter in 2018 I went to Florida a couple times to play golf. The golf bug has bit me again and now I'm as addicted as I was 15 years ago! I Can't Get Enough.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Other than the occasional once-a-year round I hadn’t played regularly since around 1998. Then last year, at age 59 I caught the bug again.

After my regular group of golf buddies left the area I lost the desire to practice regularly. And since I already wasn’t very good I didn’t want to waste time and money. So I just stopped entirely. But I always missed the game. Now I practice, take lessons and play as often as I can. Mostly solo, sometimes with a regular golf buddy.

The plan is to finally get good enough to play the occasional tourney, but mostly for fun and fitness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I quit for about 20 yrs to raise 3 kids myself.
I'm really enjoying my return, I've lost a little distance, but working on it.
The putters and other clubs have improved too, and I'm really missing the CC memberships I gave up 20 yrs. ago.

Quit for 4-5 years when I got married and had kids.
Took on a different hobby. Took a photograph hobby to take photos of kids. Still love taking photos and golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell, I quit multiple times every round. I shot my 3rd best score of the year today and as short ago as noon today I could be quoted as saying something like "I quit. I'm going to take up quilting or something that I'd be better at".

I didn't hardly play from let's say 25-35. I had young kids, bills that were barely getting paid, and my free time was taken up almost 100%. There were many years in there that I didn't get out at all. I'm sure I played less than 10 times in those 10 years.

I walked away as a +2 and I expected to come back as that. Boy was I ever wrong. First dilemma was how the heck to swing with the 50 extra pounds I was now carrying.

I came back in large part due to my first round I played "back". Took my then 2 year old and went out to play a hot deal for 10.00. Struggled a little on the first couple holes, but my chip in for par on hole one (par 4 of a whopping 310 yards) after chunking three straight shots to get just off the green was the start to an amazing day.

Long story sort I nailed a 50 footer on 18 for bird to get to -2 after hitting my first and only HIO on the short par 4 10th. It's been all uphill from there.

I stopped about 10 years ago, working 70-80 hrs a week didn't allow for much golf. Picked it up a couple of times between then and now.

Yeah from 2004-2012 I probably played 5 rounds. Got the golf bug bad in 2015 and have been playing tons since then. I mostly stooped because of money, golf was expensive in San Diego so basically only played when I wan't paying.

Quit about 10 years ago due to all my playing partners ended up moving away. About a year ago my son started getting interrested so I decided to take it up again so I could enjoy it with him. I also got hooked up with a group at work that plays. Now I'm wishing I would have stuck it out instead of quitting back then.

I was a member at a CC for a while. Established a 10 Handicap...... Got married and had twin girls. I have always love the game of golf. However with the costs of raising children. I just did not have the disposable income to play any longer. Now my girls are seniors in college and my wife and I are blessed beyond belief. I have the time and money to pick the clubs up again. This time around I truly want to enjoy the game, more of a tempo'ed type swing instead of my old "Grip it and Rip It" style. Been playing Thursday night scrambles with co-worker and we are having a hoot!

Every week! I swear off golf and say I'm quitting and then a day later i'm ready to come back to golf.:D

Yep! I played a lot of golf when I started out in the mid to late 80's and usually played 3-4 times a week. I had membership's, golf league, got into scramble's, etc all the time. Once the golf course closed up that was my home course cause it was 5 minutes from work, I got a membership to one farther away with some guys that lived out that way. I did that membership for many years up until about 2006 when all of us got a little busier and didn't seem to golf as much. Then for the next two years or so I may have played a dozen times at most so just gave it up, sold all golf gear and I mean everything!

Fast forward to 2016 when I seen a set of cheap golf clubs on Craigslist so I went and checked them out, put a full bag together for $40. I took them to the range to see if I could still at least hit the ball and to me surprise I could so I think I played two rounds in 2016, about 6-7 rounds in 2017 and quite a few more this year but still would like to get out more than I have so far as my swing needs alot more practice!

Yes. Was in a car accident and fractured some vertebrae and blew a couple of discs. When I started back playing i got so frustrated because of pain I quit. When I decided to start back, I had to completely change my swing to keep pain at a minimum. Distance is starting to come back and ball striking is actually a lot more consistent.

Every year we travel with 8 guys to different courses. Last April we played Torrey Pines and LaCoste and I played so badly I wanted to quit the game. I was the ATM everyone made money off of.
So I took a couple of months off and missed it so much I went out, got fitted, invested in new equipment (my old stuff was over 15 years old and the grooves were gone). Then I took two lessons and my love of the game is back. My handicap peaked at 23, it's now down to 18 and it should come down more by the time the courses around here shut down.
Oh yeah, did I forget to say that Tiger's unbelievable comeback this year made me want to play again too?

I have had two major breaks in my golf career.

I started at 11, and played 4 years on my HS team, and 1 year for my junior college team. The summer after that freshman season the course I grew up on closed, and my widowed mother could not afford the new club that opened. I tried to walk on my sophomore college year at my 4 yr. school, but the coach told me he recruited his team and would not give a tryout. So, from age 19 to age 24 I took a break from the game, until I started a full-time job in a new town where I could afford to play.

The game came right back, and I played for many years, all the way to age 59, when my right hip went bad and golf became uncomfortable. After over 2 years away and finally a hip replacement, I started again. I had the left hip replaced 3 years later, but that one did not cause a major break. Between the 2 surgeries and the aging I lost about a club and a half in distance thru my irons, and maybe 25-40 yds. off the tee. Still, I generally break 80 when I play, my best this year being 75 (twice) in 6 rounds so far. I still play the regular mens tees whenever I play - no gold tees yet.

For financial reasons again, since the hip replacements I have scaled my frequency of play way down, to less than 8 rounds a year the past 3 years. I hope to increase that next year, but will likely never again play enough to hold a club membership again.

I started after I got out of college because I thought it was "the corporate thing to do". I spent some time at the driving range trying to learn how to hit the ball and read magazines. Played in a couple of work outings and got out a few times with some friends. After a while I just didn't have anyone to play with so I sold my clubs to a co-worker who is also left handed and let it go.

Fast forward 10 years to summer 2013 when I took a vacation to Scotland. I was trying to find my way to Doune Castle where they filmed "Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail" and the GPS kept trying to take me on roads that were closed. We decided to give up and detour over to St. Andrews on a whim to see the town for the day before continuing on to our destination of Inverness that night. I ended up running out to stand on the Swilcan Bridge. We had already planned to go watch 1 day of The Open before we flew home since it was at Muirfield and was easily accessible from Edinburgh while we were there. We watched the Friday round, flew home on Saturday and I watch Phil make the come from behind victory from my living room on Sunday. Within 2 weeks I had a whole set of clubs (TM RBZ) that I had bought on eBay and it has been on since then.

In the last 5 years I've not gotten as good as I would like but the challenge of doing it is what keeps me coming back. I just want to be a decent golfer. I'll most likely never be single digits but I enjoy it.

Back