Different shot shapes with different clubs

Miller Time

Twitter - @joshmlr
Reaction score
Handicap
Has Been
For me, I've started to rely on a pretty straight ball or a slight fade with my driver and 4H, but I normally see a straight or slight draw from my other clubs. I don't do it purposefully, but it seems to be the stock swing for me right now.

Do you tend to hit different types of shots depending on the club out of habit?

Nope, everything I hit starts right, and works its way left. Sometimes moreso than others, but it's consistent.

Nope my clubs all start left and then go right.

If I hit it straight it's by accident....fade's for days...

I have lately, a bit more fade with irons but still draw with driver. I've never been able to pin point exactly whats happening.

When I was playing my best golf I hit a fade with my driver and a draw with everything else. Now I hit big push fades with my driver and big hooks with my irons. I need to work on my swing.

For me, I've started to rely on a pretty straight ball or a slight fade with my driver and 4H, but I normally see a straight or slight draw from my other clubs. I don't do it purposefully, but it seems to be the stock swing for me right now.

I do the same thing. Tendency is straight to fade with my woods, and straight to slight draw with my irons. Kinda throws me for a loop when they're reversed, which happens from time to time. lol

Two things cause my driver to go right. One is the shaft is too long the other is when I try and power the ball and I get a little out of sequence. In both cases, I can't close the face and it's open to path.

If you have access to a shorter shaft it might be interesting to put it in your driver and take it to the range. My bet is that you'll start to see the driver straighten or draw a little.

Personally, I'm trying to get to one swing/one shot shape. That way I can stabilize my swing across all clubs and then if I want to work it differently, it's a similar approach.

ADDED: I've been trying to move an M2 into my bag and started with a longer shaft. I've been right with too much dispersion all year and I've contorted my swing to get the club face closed. I had a Matrix Red-tie lying around and I had it cut to 43.5". Put it into play yesterday and I was hitting draws and long all day. Had my best round of the year (+3 over 27 holes).

driver tends to fade, everything else tends to draw. i guess i should say that's only true when i swing the way i mean to.

driver tends to fade, everything else tends to draw. i guess i should say that's only true when i swing the way i mean to.

I'm the exact same way right now. It's hard to trust my driver swing right now because I'm used to drawing everything. The draw on my irons is less than what it has been in the past, so I think what's happened is that my path has become closer to neutral instead of significantly in-to-out like it has been in the past.

I'm the exact same way right now. It's hard to trust my driver swing right now because I'm used to drawing everything. The draw on my irons is less than what it has been in the past, so I think what's happened is that my path has become closer to neutral instead of significantly in-to-out like it has been in the past.

you are more right than you know!!! I worked hard last year to get my path more neutral, as it was significantly in to out. the path is getting a little too far left right now, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are more right than you know!!! I worked hard last year to get my path more neutral, as it was significantly in to out. the path is getting a little too far left right now, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same situation. I tried to fix hitting too much right to left and now I can't hit it left at all unless I really try to hook it. Trying to hit a big draw gives me a tiny fade.

I hit straight with my driver, draws with my woods and hybrids, and fades with my irons. Go figure.

I wish I knew.... All of my clubs tend to be ok but I suffer from a 2 way miss with most of them.

I tend to be straight or slight fade for everything. Anything moving right to left was by accident.

Mine is fade and maybe straight, thats it.

Driver tends to draw but everything else im hitting a fade

Due to a long battle with bad left to left shot shapes off the tee box I have have been working hard this year learning to fade the Driver and 3-wood. The preferred and intended shot shape with the irons is still a draw. It is working well right now and have played my best golf ever over the last 6-weeks. Only negative I can point to is a more frequent high push showing up with the long irons.

The majority of my shots with my driver, 3 FW, and 5FW are usually soft fades. When I use my 4 H my usual shot is either straight or soft draw.

Unless it is a SW or LW, I expect them all to go R to L and aim as such.

If I make a stock swing, everything goes right to left. However, I can make some changes in setup and takeaway that will cause me to hit fades, particularly with the longer clubs, when I need to. Id like to groove it more, because it's a nice tool to have.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yep. Slight fade is the norm with driver, fairways, and hybrids. Irons have mostly gone straight with a slight draw this season.

Of course, when I set up for the fade with longer clubs, I usually end up hitting straight at the worst possible time.

My typical shape is straight to a draw.

When I swing with no thoughts my natural flight is a high draw. I can fade the ball if need be though my miss tends to be straight so fading away from a hazard can get awkward. I am much more comfortable hitting a huge slice around a tree then a huge hook.

Nope, everything is left to right for me.

Back