Diverse bag make-up

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
Not too long ago, Bernhard Langer’s bag consisted of quite a mixed group of clubs of different brands. How many out there have a mix that might rival this set...?

Driver: Ping G400 (9 degrees)
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X
3-wood: TaylorMade M6 15
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro (18, 22 degrees)
Shaft: RT Technologies Midas X
Irons: (4,5) Artisan CB. (6) Adams Idea Pro MB, (7-9) Artisan MB, (PW) TaylorMade PSI TP
Shafts: Hogan Apex 4
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX (56- 10), Vokey SM7 (60-10K)
Shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Grips: Golf Pride V55 (set at 11:30)
Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Long

And now Bernhard is Tour Edge.....but yes, Ing the past I have had a lot of OEM's in the same bag

Personally, I love it! I love to see where people treat their bag make-up like a tool box - treating each club like a special “tool” that works for them!

I have a fairly diverse bag with Cobra, Callaway, Srixon, Cleveland, Titleist, and a Toulon putter. My ball is Bridgestone so that's one more brand and my putter depending upon the week or month, could be any of 10 different brands that are in my collection of 35+ putters. Yes, I know Callaway owns Toulon and Srixon owns Cleveland.

Seems legit.
I am currently playing -
Cobra driver
Cobra woods
Callaway hybrid
Hogan irons
Cleveland wedges
Mizuno putter

So 5 OEMs.

My preference would be to have clubs that are all the same brand...I'm just too cheap to make it happen. Currently I have:

Driver, driving iron, irons, and putter--Cleveland
Utility iron--Ping
Hybrid--Ben Hogan
Sand wedge--Callaway

I haven't used the Hogan or Ping club in quite a while, so maybe I should just pull them out of the bag, get a Cleveland sand wedge (which I keep saying I'm gonna do anyway), and have an all Cleveland bag.

Today's (current) bag has Callaway, Cobra, Cleveland and Ping clubs. That's 4 different OEMs.

Cobra driver & FW
Ping FW
Mizuno irons
Taylormade SW
Ping putter

I think that the system one contrives to configure a set could very well have an effect on the number of brands and models contained therein.

The most common system is to gap the clubs to cover the range of yardages. This would likely result in fewer brands, although not necessarily.

The less common system, which I've often used, is to choose the clubs that you like for certain individual shots;
after you have all of them, fill in the set to cover yardages as best you can.

This latter system almost always results in a very mixed bag, but again, not necessarily.

This morning would have been a gorgeous day to play but my avatar had an early appointment at her vet for her allergy shot.
Maybe we can sneak in nine this afternoon.

My preference would be to have clubs that are all the same brand...I'm just too cheap to make it happen. Currently I have:

Driver, driving iron, irons, and putter--Cleveland
Utility iron--Ping
Hybrid--Ben Hogan
Sand wedge--Callaway

I haven't used the Hogan or Ping club in quite a while, so maybe I should just pull them out of the bag, get a Cleveland sand wedge (which I keep saying I'm gonna do anyway), and have an all Cleveland bag.
What drives the desire to have a one brand bag? No judgement, genuinely curious.

i'm not afraid of diversity in my bag where it makes sense. but sometimes one oem just offers exactly what you need, which is totally ok.

my driver, hybrid, wedges, putter, and ball are all callaway. driver may change to titleist.
my fairway and irons are from other oems (mizuno and honma, respectively).

currently I have a lot of tour edge in the bag as I am testing and reviewing. Before that time I had Taylormade, Hogan, Cleveland and an Adams Hybrid

I do match grips. I have one grip that I really like, the Tour Wrap 2G.
By "really like," I mostly mean "am really used to."

I SHOULD match shafts, but that can get expensive.
Usually any R-flex graphite works ok in all thirteen non-putter clubs at my level of accomplishment.

I carry 11 clubs but 6 different brands
Callaway XR16 driver, Orlimar Trimetal 3w, Adams Idea 4hy, Ben Hogan BH5 irons, Tommy Armour SW, TopFlite HT Blade1 putter
Works for me

Last edited:
Could you list those clubs for us to see what they are..? Interested.

I carry 11 clubs but 6 different brands
Callaway, Orlimar, Adams, Ben Hogan, Tommy Armour, TopFlite
Works for me

I, I ought to be ashamed to say, don't always remember to pull a club from my fifteen slot cart bag!
But I make so many little changes--not full bag shakeups--that I can't keep a WITB signature going.

Multiple brands are always involved, but the number changes.

My bag is pretty diverse.

Tour Edge driver
Taylormade 3 wood
Callaway 5 and 7 wood
Callaway irons
Cleveland wedges
Taylormade putter
Callaway/Srixon balls

Have 5 different OEMs at the moment. That will drop to 4 in October.

I think my bag was more brand diverse when I was shopping based on budget. I did test my current clubs against other brands before buying, but Taylormade just seems to work for me. Until recently, my bag was entirely Taylormade, but I did add a 54* Cleveland CBX2 wedge that I'm really liking. I tried ever putter I could find and the Taylormade Spider FCG won out. Whenever I decide to get new irons, hybrid, fairway wood, and driver, I'll compare all the brands and see what works best. Maybe I'll have a more diverse bag down the road. Or, maybe it'll still be Taylormade. All I really want is to hit fairways and greens. lol

Fairly diverse but they all do their assigned jobs pretty well.
Callaway Driver and 3F
TaylorMade 5F
PING 4H
Titleist 5i - GW
Cleveland SW and LW
Odyssey Putter
Bridgestone Ball

What drives the desire to have a one brand bag? No judgement, genuinely curious.

Just OCD I guess. There’s certainly not a logical or performance related reason.

Taylormade Driver
Taylormade 3 wood
Titleist Hybrid
Srixon Irons
Taylormade Wedges
Titleist/Scotty Cameron Putter

As of late, I haven’t been loyal to any brands and I like it that way

I'll play what ever suits I couldn't care about brand
Mizuno ST190 driver
PXG 0211 3 & 7 wood
Callaway UT 2021
Taylormade PSI irons