Do irons and/or wedges really wear out and when?

Yes they do.
And there has been numerous tests showing it by just about every company.
Grooves channel away debris, so depending on where you are playing from will have a factor, but less spin will not only alter control of the ball, but flight as well.

Ya I agree with that simple explanation of it, although I know some golfers using 15 year old Taylormade irons that shoot like high 70s low 80s. But if your anything like me (changing clubs frequently) you probably will never experience that problem since iron last alot longer than drivers.

While I agree all clubs will wear out at some point, I have two sets of Ping irons that are 7 and 15 years old, both played hundreds of rounds and they both look new groove wise. Just depends on metal, and brand I think as well as personal care. Older Ping's seem to be very durable. I also have some very old Spalding irons, late 1970's I'd guess and I could still game em if needed and I played those for several years when they were new.

no, I certainly wont be hitting the same spot all the time, or even half, or etc...lol. And thanks I do feel better about my investment. And I couldn't picture telling the wife I'm getting new clubs again in just another year or so.lol

From the little info I was able to find it was suggested that forged (being softer) would wear quicker than cast. True or not IDK and if true then how much faster I also don't know but thought I'd include it in the questioning. And although simply an interesting subject I did hope having cast clubs worked towards my advantage as far as my concern with longevity with my clubs. lol.
Like JB said, the manufacturing process has nothing to do with it. Forged clubs are typically carbon steel in order to get that soft feel that people like and carbon steel is a fairly soft metal, certainly softer than the stainless steel that most cast clubs are made from (not all cast are stainless, Vokeys are cast carbon steel), so they will wear quicker.
Even still, most people could probably game a set of carbon steel irons for 30 years and not wear them out.

I honestly have changed clubs so often that it's never been a problem. I've really only needed to regrip an entire set one time.

Now, I have played my Niblick 49 for 2 solid seasons. Between range time (this is the club that I warm up with) and rounds, I've totally worn the finish off. Given this seems to be permanently in the bag, it is something that I think about.

I've not worn out a set of irons before, but I can already see some marks on my iron faces due to playing here with wetter, sandier soil, so I can totally see it happening in the 2 - 3 year time frame. My old 52* and 58* TM wedges are pretty darn worn out - they are rac's from around 2005 - 2006, and how shallow the grooves are vs. how they used to be is noticeable. I tend to lose a lot of distance with them due to high face misses, because the face doesn't grab correctly in the area of most wear and the ball rolls up to where the grooves are sharper, which is higher on the face. I'm optimistic that the new wedges I have coming tonight will help this problem.

Short answer, yeah they definitely wear out, but for most people it takes a while.

I've never worn out my irons, but wedges, oh yes! I have three old wedges in my old Mizuno staff bag here at work that look like melted butter on the lower/middle grooves. I once tried to score and re-groove those wedges, and it didn't work at the time. I wouldn't mind trying again with the two Vokey's that are in there, but I almost think I would need a Dremel tool to cut those back out to an effective use.

I need to see pictures of worn out grooves , seeing is believing.

I need to see pictures of worn out grooves , seeing is believing.

This isn't my picture, but it's not hard to find them on the internet. Do you not believe that grooves can wear out?

worn_out_golf_grooves.jpg

I distribute my ball striking all over the face so that my irons last longer. Yeah, that's it!

Do irons and/or wedges really wear out and when?

I think it's already been stated, but the conditions you play in have a pretty big effect. Playing in Florida/the south where the ground is more sandy will basically act like sand paper and wear the grooves faster. Up here in the north it's pretty much all sod, and my grooves don't wear all that quickly. I can get a couple season out of wedges with decent use

I've never worn out my irons, but wedges, oh yes! I have three old wedges in my old Mizuno staff bag here at work that look like melted butter on the lower/middle grooves. I once tried to score and re-groove those wedges, and it didn't work at the time. I wouldn't mind trying again with the two Vokey's that are in there, but I almost think I would need a Dremel tool to cut those back out to an effective use.

I thought those were antiques when I visited your office. Lol.. Yes they were worn clear to the back side. Hehe

Back