Do most higher handicap golfers use too much loft around the greens?

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
I must admit that I've been seriously guilty of this in the past. I tended to use my 58* wedge for the majority of shots inside 50 yards and noticed one trend: I came up severely short on most of my shots and tended to chunk/blade quite a few especially when there was some pressure. Sure, I had the occasional perfect high shot into the pin but for the most part, I came up short way too often.

I went in to my instructor for a short game lesson about a month ago and he made me put my sand wedge and lob wedge into the bag and leave it there for the majority of my shots. The highest lofted club I was allowed to use was my 50* wedge from 50 yards and in. At first it was a little odd, but at the end of the hour lesson, he had me hit 10 shots with a PW from 40 yards and 10 shots with my 58 and measured the distance to the pin. The results were eye opening, especially since I had been using my 58 for years and only had an hour using lower lofted clubs. With my PW, I averaged 12' over those 10 shots, with the 58, I averaged 15'. That doesn't seem like much of a difference, and my closest shot 1'2" was with the 58* wedge. But I also came up short of the green with 2 of my 58* shots and all of the PW shots found the green. So we threw out the best and worst shots with each club and the averages really changed. I then averaged 12' with my PW and 21' with my 58* wedge.

Taking this to the course over the last month, I have seen huge improvements when it counts. I have been playing with Lightningbolt44 a few times since I came back to playing and he noticed a huge difference in my wedge game this weekend. While it's not perfect, I do much much better when I save the SW and LW for shots that I have to carry trouble or have no green to work with. I have also noticed that a few high handicap guys that I've been playing rounds with use their higher lofted wedges around the greens a lot and seem to suffer with the same issues that I had until recently and wonder if they would benefit from using lower lofted clubs much the same as I have.

Have you guys tried this approach on the course and if you have did you see similar results?

I have always thought most bogey golfers use too much loft on partial shots, especially when they are within 10 yards of the putting surface. On most green side shots I try to get the ball on the putting surface a few feet onto the green and let the ball run to the hole. Often I will also Putt with a faiway wood when faced with a 30 yard shot from the apron 5 yards off the green. I choke down to the shaft with my 4 wood and pretend it's my putter - the extra length will get it through the longer grass of the apron without having to hit it extra hard like I would if using my putter.

Most of my buddies always use the same club when chipping - usually a sand wedge. If I have 4 chip shots during a round I most likely will be using 4 different clubs and probably the highest lofted will be a 9 iron. If you don't have a few hours each week to practice chipping, IMO it's much easier to get it close if you use the same stroke and select a different cłub to vary how far the chip travels. For me a bad chip from 50 feet with a 8 iron finishes maybe 10 feet away and a bad chip with a sand wedge from that distance could finish 20+ feet short.

Last edited:
I switch chipping duties between my 54 and 50 depending on the shot. My 58 only sees maybe one shot per round on average. Too much room for error with such a high lofted club imo.

This is an area I would love to practice more and could really help my game. I don't like grabbing the 58 deg for most short chip shots, and have pulled off some nice shots with lower lofted clubs around the greens, but I don't feel truly comfortable with that shot since I don't have somewhere at the course or range to practice those kind of shots.

I used to play GW (52* I think), 56, and 60 degree wedges and my chipping was ok. But I have noticeably gotten better since moving to 54, and 58 degree wedges. The main reason is lately I haven't been able to play my GW (need to re-epoxy) but it's been a real test. I usually play the GW on most shots around the green. There is more room for error when the technique is off using the higher lofts.

The only time I go over 52* is from the bunker then I use a 58*. Most of my approach shots are with a 45* or 52* depending on if I have to go over something. If there is nothing to carry and I'm inside 50 yards I will even use a hybrid with a putting stroke.

I would say yes. We see the pros use a high lofted wedge and hit it high and soft. I use a 58* most of the time, but have started working in my PW when I have a lot of green to work with.

It is one of those things you need to practice with so you are comfortable when you have the shot on the course.

I'm torn on this at times.

In many cases, yes I think less loft is the better answer, but that also goes back to how often (or how rarely is probably a better term) people practice their greenside game. If you've got less loft, a shorter swing, and likely a wider sole, you're taking away some of the opportunities for mistakes.

If you practice a lot, and have a decent grasp on your chips/pitches then I think more loft can be good. In my case, I like that I can be a little more aggressive and it's not like every shot has to be high with a lob wedge. I can hit low running shots with them too.

It also depends on the situation. Uphill lie and lots of loft is a good way to give yourself a long putt for example. Jim Furyk just did a really good episode of Golf Channel Academy on this and it's worth a watch.

Whatever you choose though - practice it.

I think a lot of times, yes. If I have a long chip with plenty of room to roll, I will never use a lob wedge, or even a gap wedge. I'll take PW or even 8 or 9i and get it rolling. Less loft is usually easier, and will lead to less chunks and get you on the green more often. However, there are times when you need to get the ball to stop, and in those situations a higher lofted wedge is essential. And for half swings I always go with 54 or 58.

If there are no traps, deep rough or other obstacles to the green I prefer to bump and run it with a PW or up to a 7 iron for anything 50 yards and in.

This is something I have realized lately. Been having a horrible time around the greens and have been using my 60* for almost every shot for whatever reason. Thinking about taking it out of the bag and forcing myself to use my gap for chips and see if I can improve my game, since I don't have much time to practice my short game

I took the 60 out of the bag partly because of this reason and it has made a world or difference. 56 is the highest lofted wedge and I use all of my wedges in different situations. My game has improved with this development.

Good thread.

I game a 60* but I do not use it on tight lies or in situations where I don't need a soft landing. I play with a good handful of people that like to use high lofted clubs and attempt to do finesse shots like flop shots when it is not necessary. The end result is usually a thinned bullet or coming up WAY short when they could have used a 9 iron and done an easy bump and run.

I would say yes. I know of 5 strokes the gap wedge cost me this past Sunday. Here's the deal, in the middle of the season when I have been practicing in the evenings and afternoons I feel very comfortable pulling the Gapper or even the Sand wedge for little delicate shots around the green. At the moment though (very little practice and new sticks) I have no business pulling anything more lofted than a PW. Even if I get a little too much run out, I should still be on the green. I love, love, love a 7 or 8 iron run up and am very comfortable with that shot when I don't need to get over a hump or trap or something.

I believe in the old axiom that we do better when we get the ball rolling as soon as possible around the greens.

JM

This is why I use my Smart Sole chipper from around the green and bump and run shots up to the green. Love that club.

Last edited:
probably. lots of people want to hit the flop shots or other crazy things Phil does.

as i started taking lessons and got more serious i learned from my instructor and others i have asked about short game and the key thing is to get the ball on the ground and rolling as soon as possible.

i use by 58 when i need to get the ball high especially over an obstacle and need to stop quickly. i have also worked with my instructor to dial in distances on partial shots with my 50/54/58.

i use my 54(now a 53) more than my 58 for some chips or pitches and use my 50(now 49) for or my PW for most pitches.

I have always and forever preferred to chip with my 8i. I haven't practiced enough with it the past few years, but I used to be really deadly with it from the fringe/anywhere I didn't have a long carry near the green. The exception generally being downhillers, where I will take more loft.

This is why I sue my Smart Sole chipper from around the green and bump and run shots up to the green. Love that club.

I did as well, but I ran into a serious shortcoming with it last year. I had gotten pretty good and bump and run type shots. But then I played a weekend at courses with greens much faster than I typically play at home. And I lost all sense of distance control around the greens. I must have cost myself a minimum of 20 shots that weekend because I had no practice in hitting higher shots that get their distance through carry, and my bump and run shots were flying through the greens. Also these courses had a lot of holes where you had to carry over rough to get to the greens, which eliminated my best shot as an option.

Having a bump and run / punch shot game is useful especially in windy conditions and I am glad I have it. But - for me personally - I find a short game predicated less on roll out travels better.

This is something I started doing towards the end of last year. Up until about 3 years ago, the highest lofted club I had in my bag was my set PW. Was so used to it, that it took me awhile to adjust to additional wedges, and I still am. I found that taking a half PW shot from 75ish yards out yields a much better result than using my 58* (my go to club). However, I find that the closer I get the more comfortable I feel about having the added loft and can really go after it because the loft won't put me over the green.

I have not tried this. but I must admit my 58* is a hit or miss club and I do the same thing in regards to blading and chunking it and coming up short more times than not. This is kind of eye opening and i might have to put this into use for the next few round and range sessions and see if it can help me to. Thanks.

I was definitely guilty of this up to a few years ago. I ended up switching to my 8 or 9 iron for almost all of my green side shots. Only time I will use anything with more loft is if I have to chip over a bunker/obstacle or if it is some unique situation.

I would probably agree, but I do agree with some who say course does matter on the situation. I have played courses where I love bump and run but other courses make it is simply not possible. Overall, the sentiment is probably right I feel like I've become better with higher loft but they are so attractive because I find them fun to hit I use my 60 as much as my 52 but the 56 gets much less love

I don't think it's necessarily that amateurs use too high of loft, I think it's that amateurs don't practice enough on short game. If you're 20-30 yards out, you should absolutely be able to take a 58 or 60* wedge out and hit it close, but not enough practice that shot. Just like anything in golf, you can't do it if you don't practice. It's a lot easier to bump and run. Can't really practice the feel of a 20 yard pitch shot with your 58* wedge from the driving range, and unfortunately that's where amateurs spend the vast majority of their time when they practice. I also don't think enough practice facilities have pitching greens, which is also very unfortunate.

I carry a 58 and use it out of a bunker to a short sided pin. Occassionally for a flop shot with the right lie.

I use the 54 for everything under a hundred yards that requires carry. If its a chip or pitch that can reach the green without obstruction and roll to the pin then I'll use something else, 7i thru PW generally. One thing I notice for sure is with an iron or PW I give the ball a chance of going simply by getting it to the hole. I notice even when I mishit an iron chip shot it still seems like the ball has a chance. If I mishit a SW, let alone the LW, chances the ball went 10 feet instead of 30 or I bladed the ball over the green.

I use the 56 from all around the green. I just change the ball position (back, middle, forward) depending on what type of shot I want to play. At the same time I keep the butt of the club pointed at my belly button and mentally picture my desired ball flight. I learned this technique from Kevin Weeks and have never chipped better.

Back