Do the newer generation putters really improve your putting?

I'l admit to being highly skeptical of the stroke lab shafts. Ive tried them and theyre nice putters but the shaft seemed like nothing special to me. To me, its just marketing fluff. I know people like them though and hey, if you like them, good on you (but I still think its all marketing ;))
I just dont see how you would swing a putter hard enough that shaft flex would make much difference.

recently I got a new custom fit putter with the stroke lab shaft. I have zero clue if the shaft helps me at all. However, the fitment of the putter to the stroke I was trying to make has made a difference that my playing partner Sunday commented on. I can't say the shaft does not help me as well so I need to give it some credit.

here is the thing. In the 5 inches behind the ball and 2 inches in front of the ball that club needs almost no movement off the target line. The ball does not know how we do this nor what we hold in our hands. It does react to the effective loft on the putter at impact. No putter can help until we can fundamentally move the putter on the target line.

once we can make the proper movement then technology can work. this from a guy who could not hit a 15ft putt 5 times in a season to someone who now hits one or more every round. My greens are not that complicated that I can't hit a putt.

I'l admit to being highly skeptical of the stroke lab shafts. Ive tried them and theyre nice putters but the shaft seemed like nothing special to me. To me, its just marketing fluff. I know people like them though and hey, if you like them, good on you (but I still think its all marketing ;))
I just dont see how you would swing a putter hard enough that shaft flex would make much difference.

I can totally understand the skepticism toward a shaft. The idea isn’t the shaft, it’s the moving of the weights to the head and grip WITHOUT having to increase the overall putter weight.

I use a blast sensor. Last summer I tested my non stroke lab shaft vs the stroke lab shafted putter and consistently I had better tempo and less twisting. For me, it works as advertised.

I can totally understand the skepticism toward a shaft. The idea isn’t the shaft, it’s the moving of the weights to the head and grip WITHOUT having to increase the overall putter weight.

I use a blast sensor. Last summer I tested my non stroke lab shaft vs the stroke lab shafted putter and consistently I had better tempo and less twisting. For me, it works as advertised.
I get the science behind it. Like they said, putter heads have gotten heavier over the years but putter shafts havent really changed. To me, I dont know why you wouldnt just buy a counterbalanced grip if thats what you want. 🤷‍♂️
I believe theres another design out there called the, "stability shaft" that I believe is much stiffer and heavier than a common putter shaft and is supposed to eliminate flexing of the shaft.
For me, it just brings me back to what we see every year, where, like I said, the last true putter innovation was over 100 years ago but these companies have to find a way to convince us to, "upgrade" putters every year.
Having said that, I did just buy a new Tommy Armour Infusion putter that I really like. It rolls the ball well and the stainless body with aluminum insert is supposed to make it more forgiving. Im not sure that I buy that but that putter along with switching to the claw grip is helping me to make more putts, so who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Back