Do the newer generation putters really improve your putting?

Rock N TN

Reaction score
Handicap
I have used $400 Scotty Cameron Newport II, $99 Odyssey White Hot Blade and $29 Bullseye circa 1973. Personally, I can putt equally well with all of them. The Bullseye was what I used from ‘73 until the early ‘90s when I switched to my first Odyssey, which I used until 2004. Used the Cameron until it was stolen in 2013 and went back to a newer generation, circa 2012, Odyssey. Through it all I would play rounds with the old reliable Bullseye.

What I find, for me, is that it doesn’t matter which of the putters I use. I am equally adept with all of them. (FYI, I average 1.7 putts per hole.) For me, when the putter has the right feel and sound, important factors for me, I can putt well.

What about you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve honestly used two putters my entire life...the first being from my US Kids golf set and the next being my Taylormade spider blade (for the past 7 years). I’d love to try some of the new, milled putters and see if it improves my game. But to be honest, there’s so many other variables when it comes to putting that whatever feels best in your hands and makes you the most confident is the one you should go with - regardless if it’s a $666 SWAG putter or a $10 one from the bargain bin at 2nd Swing

Nothing has improved my putting dramatically, but I do better with face-balanced than with toe hang.
I do better with non-offset (or even onset) than I do with offset.
Doesn't really matter if the putter is my old Ram Zebra or a modern model.

I do better with certain types of putters, but while the same shape seems to work best for me, the StrokeLab tech in my current putter is legitimately better for me than the older models I used.

I think the putting performance decline began about 25 years ago,, when Cameron began offering putters with 330 gram head weights (compared to the previous decades long standard of about 310 gram head weight). And as head weights increased from 330 to 340 to 350 I think player putting performance has continued to decline.

I have used $400 Scotty Cameron Newport II, $99 Odyssey White Hot Blade and $29 Bullseye circa 1973. Personally, I can putt equally well with all of them. The Bullseye was what I used from ‘73 until the early ‘90s when I switched to my first Odyssey, which I used until 2004. Used the Cameron until it was stolen in 2013 and went back to a newer generation, circa 2012, Odyssey. Through it all I would play rounds with the old reliable Bullseye.

What I find, for me, is that it doesn’t matter which of the putters I use. I am equally adept with all of them. (FYI, I average 1.7 putts per hole.) For me, when the putter has the right feel and sound, important factors for me, I can putt well.

What about you?

they CAN help, depending on what you need. and there are also certain putts that you might have missed before that possibly could have gone in with a higher MOI putter. But, putting is so feel related that as long as you are comfortable with how it aligns, and the putter aims how you think it does, you can putt with just about everything.

The tech and MOI in putters today is a real thing, but the benefits will be different or naught for the individual. Just depends on what you need or want.

The most important aspects IMO, are toe hang, loft, and lie being correct for you. MOI and head shape can make a difference for sure, and again, the tech that is out there works...but the benefits won't be as big as if the putter itself is just set up incorrectly for you.

I don't know if newer putters make putting easier, or not. I have not tried any of the newer styles of putters.

My current putter was made 20+/- years ago. I just put it into play a year, or so ago. I putt quite well with it.

All a golf club can do is what the user's swing makes it do. If the user has a good putting stroke, which allows them to hit a straight putt, then I think most putters will perform well for that user.

Then of course, there is that "putter fitting" scenario available that could enhance even more, one's putting ability.

I think the putting performance decline began about 25 years ago,, when Cameron began offering putters with 330 gram head weights (compared to the previous decades long standard of about 310 gram head weight). And as head weights increased from 330 to 340 to 350 I think player putting performance has continued to decline.

Where did you get the statistics that show putting performance has declined?

My anecdotal, no-data feeling is that modern putter designs ( last 10 years or so ) have jumped forward a pretty good way. They are not however magic wands. No new putter tech is going to solve for a bad stroke on a putt, just like no head or shaft is going to solve for a bad driver swing. With that being said, the more forgiving on speed and direction a putter combo can be while matching up to your putting profile, the better you will end up putting with it. I think the advancement is not so much on just the tech side but on the understanding on arc ( severe toe hang, mild toe hang, facebalanced ) and impact conditions ( loft, roll, etc. ) and which ones best suit your putting stroke. Now we have shafts making a big play into putter feel.

In the end, getting fit, matched to the putter that matches your style, and giving you the head/shape that gives you the most forgiveness has to be better for your scoring.

All a golf club can do is what the user's swing makes it do.

Your statement is true, however often times the club may influence-promote-dictate particular swings.
For example (to compensate for too stiff of a driver or iron shaft) a player may over swing, swing at too fast of a pace.
Or, if a player's driver or iron shaft is too light weight this might cause him/her swing tempo problems.
For putters, the current trend of heavy heads combined with large diameter heavy grips may cause a player's stroke to become mechanical-rigid rather than fluid.

For me I have found that the heavier putters work better for me. I do like blades, but have also been doing well with some mallets. I think the big thing IMO is the putter has to look good to the person as they are looking down on it addressing the ball.

I do think the newer putters improve performance. They are more forgiving on mis-hit putts which I think result in fewer three putts. I have no real evidence of my thoughts though.

Your statement is true, however often times the club may influence-promote-dictate particular swings.
For example (to compensate for too stiff of a driver or iron shaft) a player may over swing, swing at too fast of a pace.
Or, if a player's driver or iron shaft is too light weight this might cause him/her swing tempo problems.
For putters, the current trend of heavy heads combined with large diameter heavy grips may cause a player's stroke to become mechanical-rigid rather than fluid.
You are quite correct about proper equipment being easier to use. This is why I included the "club fitting" part in my post. A proper club fitting takes care of all the things you mentioned in your reply.

Funny that you mention heavy putters. I use a Heavy Putter. The thing weighs about a 1.6 lbs. A mechanical stroke, or not, I dont know. I just know I make alot of putts with it.

I wouldn't necessarily say your a good putter at 1.7 putts per hole and you very well may be. But what I would say is that at 1.7 putts per hole your good at hitting your irons, approach shots and chips, is that a possibility?
I have a friend in a similar situation that averages 25-30 putts a round and scores well, says hes a good putter and loves his putter, I tell him he hits some nice shots...

I think some of the new putters are better than the older ones but not across the board.

I wouldn't necessarily say your a good putter at 1.7 putts per hole and you very well may be. But what I would say is that at 1.7 putts per hole your good at hitting your irons, approach shots and chips, is that a possibility?
I have a friend in a similar situation that averages 25-30 putts a round and scores well, says hes a good putter and loves his putter, I tell him he hits some nice shots...

You introduce a good question, one which I routinely ask myself.
Specifically, is the club one likes and, or, thinks is a good performer truly helping the scoring average ?
I've had clubs in the bag that I liked , whether it be a driver, iron set, wedge, or putter, because of how the club (s) looked or maybe good memories of particular shots . But is that good enough criteria to justify keeping the club (s) in the bag ?
I you believe your friend could improve his putting it's probably a technique issue, but it's also possible a different putter would be of help.

Where did you get the statistics that show putting performance has declined?

Bumping the question again

Not knocking anyone but I think @DG_1234 typically uses their anecdotal experience instead of statistical data.

That might make more sense, because I spent the last hour trying to find any stastistic that shows that and it doesn't exist. Yet speaking with most (and we have some content on this) about why putters got heavier suggests something drastically different.

That might make more sense, because I spent the last hour trying to find any stastistic that shows that and it doesn't exist. Yet speaking with most (and we have some content on this) about why putters got heavier suggests something drastically different.

I think what he is doing is a misapplication to the trend of putter heads getting heavier in general over the best 10 years.

Bumping the question again

I don't believe there are any putting performance statistics for amateur play. For pro Tour golf there are statistics for every type of shot, including the trendy "strokes gained" numbers.
Due to technology greens are maintained significantly better than they were 30 years ago, and smoother-faster greens absolutely allow amateurs as well as Tour pros a better opportunity to make putts. Within the amateur game I notice fewer "hot putting rounds" by players than I did 30 years ago. Once Cameron started selling heavy (for the time) 330 gram putter heads I noticed a decline in amateur putting that has continued as head weights went from 330 to 340 to 350 etc... Specifically, the "hot putting rounds I used to on occasion see from players using 310 gram head weight Ping's and Bulleye's and 8802's are more rare than before.
For PGA Tour play I think putting performance is about the same as it's always been, which is to say players do make putts (or they would lose their Tour card).
But considering how much greens maintenance has improved I do wonder if Tour putting performance might significantly improve if some players started swinging the old 310 gram Ping's, Bullseye's, and 8802 putters

I do think the newer putters improve performance. They are more forgiving on mis-hit putts which I think result in fewer three putts. I have no real evidence of my thoughts though.

I’m not big on moi and forgiveness in a putter. I use the whole face from sweet spot to toe depending on situation, such as slope or green speed. I prefer having a given stroke length for a certain length putt and adjust the contact point over adjusting stroke for one contact point.

Not knocking anyone but I think @DG_1234 typically uses their anecdotal experience instead of statistical data.

Sure I do. "Anecdotal experience" is available to everyone who plays golf, either monitoring their own game or observing playing partners games.Why not use it ?

Actually, no, I’m not particularly effective on typical approach shots, say 75 to 150 yards. Been awhile since I kept stats on that, but my approaches averaged something like 25 feet proximity to hole. I very much rely on my putter for scoring.

I don't believe there are any putting performance statistics for amateur play. For pro Tour golf there are statistics for every type of shot, including the trendy "strokes gained" numbers.
Due to technology greens are maintained significantly better than they were 30 years ago, and smoother-faster greens absolutely allow amateurs as well as Tour pros a better opportunity to make putts. Within the amateur game I notice fewer "hot putting rounds" by players than I did 30 years ago. Once Cameron started selling heavy (for the time) 330 gram putter heads I noticed a decline in amateur putting that has continued as head weights went from 330 to 340 to 350 etc... Specifically, the "hot putting rounds I used to on occasion see from players using 310 gram head weight Ping's and Bulleye's and 8802's are more rare than before.
For PGA Tour play I think putting performance is about the same as it's always been, which is to say players do make putts (or they would lose their Tour card).
But considering how much greens maintenance has improved I do wonder if Tour putting performance might significantly improve if some players started swinging the old 310 gram Ping's, Bullseye's, and 8802 putters

FWIW Faster greens do not make putting easier. I tend to view these as the same idea that forgiving clubs haven't improved scoring, which in fact is incorrect.

With putters there are a huge number of things that help amateurs if they choose it. Variable face thickness has been a huge impact on putting because missing the center happens by even the best in the world. MOI has changed dramatically which too, has had a huge impact in putting performance. During the time when greens are larger and faster than ever before, and the growth of the game vs 3 decades ago was astronomical, to see these benefits exist is quite helpful.

Back