Do we make too much out of our ball choice?

I think you are absolutely right about people adjusting their game to the ball to some extent. But here is the problem. Your example of what people do with a ball (and chipping motion) that will not stop on the green is fine when you have a lot of green between you and the hole. But if you are short-sided you don't have that luxury. You need loft and spin. If you haven't developed that shot or your ball won't let you, you are hosed! I think a lot of us LIVE in that space.
On our greens, if you have a short-sided shot you just accept the fact that you're going to be facing a long putt unless you're really good at chipping it onto the fringe and dying it to the cup. You can't stop a ball on these greens no matter what you're playing - a urethane tour ball is going to roll just as far as a Nitro distance ball.

Last year I played Srixon Q Star Tours almost exclusively. I broke 90 more times than I ever had. My driver is only 200 yards. I did not notice much distance difference but I did notice fewer balls rolling thru the green. Previously I had been playing Callaway Supersoft for about 4-5 years. This year I switched to the Kirkland Performance Plus. I have not broken 90 as much as last year but I do like how the behave around the green. I think I like the Q Star Tour better, but I don't think I will be going back to Surlyn.

I think it comes to what are you willing to spend and what are you willing to lose.

I normally play V1x's and on most courses can usually get 2-3 rds out of a ball before I lose it or its scuffed to where I put it in the shag bag. I will pay $50 in that scenario knowing I am getting a couple months worth out of a box of balls.

But recently played a tighter narrow course and lost 3 of them in one rd. So say close to $14-15 lost in one round. Granted an anomoly for me, but when I showed up the next time I switched to a Supersoft just in case. This course has some really precarious spots where you can hit a nice shot and not find it right off the green which is a bummer.

My buddy who has a membership there plays there 5+ times a week. Say he loses 2 to 4 balls per round, and is playing a premium ball, that can add up quickly to the $50-$100 range even though he's a pretty good player. He routinely shoots around 80 there so he's not a complete hack.
Yes ,on those type courses, and they are out there, I usually play my 'seconds' balls. Although, for most courses , there's nothing like pulling out a brand new premium and teeing off! Even on those courses, when confronting an ominous looking hole, I put a lesser ball into play .

Last year I played Srixon Q Star Tours almost exclusively. I broke 90 more times than I ever had. My driver is only 200 yards. I did not notice much distance difference but I did notice fewer balls rolling thru the green. Previously I had been playing Callaway Supersoft for about 4-5 years. This year I switched to the Kirkland Performance Plus. I have not broken 90 as much as last year but I do like how the behave around the green. I think I like the Q Star Tour better, but I don't think I will be going back to Surlyn.
The QStar Tour is urethane, not Surlyn. The QStar (non Tour) is Surlyn. QST emians my ball of choice.

Probably...

Every single time I see this thread I shout NO.

It can't look good to outsiders. 😕

Everytime I think it doesn't matter and I play a Surlyn ball fo the S&G, I hit chip shot that rolls past the hole.
At that point, I exclaim "That's enough of that" and a Urethane ball comes out of the bag.
I think that's where this breaks, between Surlyn and Urethane, after that it's fine tuning....

Speaking for myself I can land on any one of several balls in the mid-range and be happy.
Q-Star
Chrome Soft
Triad
AVX
All work for me.

I think balls are honestly one of the most overlooked items for golfers no matter the skill level. Finding one that is the correct compression and amount of layers that fit you is huge. I have always been a ProV1/TP5 guy for a few years, but the beginning of this year fell in love with the AVX and recently also now use the Bridgestone BRX. Both balls fit my game much better and I have gained a bit more distance/helped me all around with my game.

I think balls are honestly one of the most overlooked items for golfers no matter the skill level. Finding one that is the correct compression and amount of layers that fit you is huge. I have always been a ProV1/TP5 guy for a few years, but the beginning of this year fell in love with the AVX and recently also now use the Bridgestone BRX. Both balls fit my game much better and I have gained a bit more distance/helped me all around with my game.
Compression in terms of feel or speed? If the latter, that theory has pretty much been debunked, no? Other than very fast players over compressing a lower comp ball.

Compression in terms of feel or speed? If the latter, that theory has pretty much been debunked, no? Other than very fast players over compressing a lower comp ball.
Ball compression number i.e. lower compression balls for slower swing speeds and vice versa

I don't think the compression story required debunking, it just needed clarity. There was a lack of understanding that a player at 115mph with neutral benefited from the firmer urethane, vs the same 115mph with too much spin. The trade off is tough to ignore, especially on accuracy.

And it makes me circle back to the absolute necessity of learning about golf balls and regardless of value tier, which one works best for your game.

I just make sure they don't have cracks in them and the scuff marks aren't too large.

I had stiff shafted and heavy irons and preferred soft balls, like a Soft Feel. Now, with a lighter more flexible shaft, I prefer a firm ball like a Velocity.

Haha but you sir are an anamoly
Not quite, that's how I select my ball predominantly, is how it feels off the tee. For example, with my swing speed a Pro V1 feels a bit like a rock, whereas a tp5 or Callaway Chrome soft feel fantastic. So I don't play Pro V1 Golf balls, I stick with others because of how they feel off the tee.

Played this past Sunday. Played some leftover balls from the past, just to play them. Funny that I lost 6 balls, all balls I used to play. My game was not really on, Sunday was a long day on the course, or at least, it sure did feel like it. Anyway, I did not play my latest favorite ball. Most of the lost were 2 Callaway Supersofts, a TF Hammer Distance, and a sleeve of Maxfli Softfli. At the 14th tee, I put a TM Tour Response in play, as I had a sleeve leftover. Did not lose a ball the rest of he round. In fact, drives were good, approaches were even better. Stuck an 8 iron from 125 yards to 6 feet from the pin. Couple of pitches were really good at a dead stop on the green. So I have been touting on here that the 2 piece I play is a good ball for chipping and such. That 2 piece does not stop like the Tour Response does. Drove the TR well, good off the hybrid irons, approaches that hopped and stopped, chips that stuck where I put them with the wedges, and it was a soft putting ball. Couple of months ago, I could not, for the life of me, get out of the tee box without driving a TR into the trees, or in ball purgatory. Now, is this the one? The "for sure its your ball", but at $40 a dz, not sure. Still have the sleeve, so maybe I should play again, using Tour Response, till I lose those?? Getting cooler here, but still playable. If I don't lose them, then maybe this is MY ball. So if it is, what do I do with 2.5 dozen TF Hammer Control in yellow? Take them back to Dicks, and see if they will exchange for the TM TR? Maybe? Worth a try. Or just play them out? Was kinda nice to play a ball that really does what i want it to do...

I think for a lot of people it can make a difference. Do we make too much of it? I would say sometimes yeah...but if it makes you feel more confident to use a certain ball, then why the hell not...

Back