• It's pretty rare.

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • I launch rough rockets for a living.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Not a lot, but they happen.

Votes: 48 54.5%
  • I'm not sure they exist.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • With the right (wrong) lie I'll end up over the green if I don't account for it.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • The grass usually slows me down enough to balance out the face-bomb effect.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I live in the fairway. We don't get them there.

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
Maybe wrong club or perfectly pured shot.

the overpure is exactly what i'm talking about. every now and then i'll actually make a high quality swing, instead of my normal serviceable swing. I don't think it's a flier, I think it's just a better-than-average strike.

I use irons that have plenty of spin, so no I don't get fliers.

Dave
Wouldn't that equal more fliers as the drop off on spin would be worse.

I had 215yd shot uphill with a 7 iron today. Does that count. I smoked it but that was waaaaay longer than expected

Wouldn't that equal more fliers as the drop off on spin would be worse.

No, I don't think so. I only have spin rates measured from a Mevo and those are... not that useful so I can't say what my spin is. I can say that I have a flip type swing defect that results in launches higher than ideal. If my shots land on the green on the muni type courses I play they stop.

The concept is that if you have plenty of spin and lose some you probably still have enough for somewhat decent stopping power. If you have marginal spin and lose some you are in trouble.

Dave

I can usually gauge when the ball will jump out of the rough, I will go down a club or two to take it into account. It’s usually only a ten to fifteen yard difference with the grass we have near me.

and so I thought of this thread as I had two significant flyers yesterday (one in each of the two rounds I played).
The rough at my most frequented course has been kind of light , not so heavy nor thick due to the heat lately. Just enogh grass behind the ball to prevent spin while not at all enough to slow the club down. And the ball just seem to rocket.

Both shots were 8irons from about 150-ish out and both shots overshot the pin and the greens to about 175/180. And to boot they were both slightly uphill so these things really went.
2 different holes and two bombed 8irons a good 25/30 yards further than they should have been. They werent skulled but were hit well and just went far.

On the second one i hit a provisional because I though the flier was likely lost in the woods behind the green and I hit my provisional to about 8 feet of pin. Ended up finding the fler in the woods and got out and on the green. But point being fliers are real and not just some extra well hit shots. These things go high and far and straight due to no spin.

But its hard to adjust for them because ya dont really expect it nor think about it much till after the fact.

Flyers are real

I got them from the fairway with the CF16 occasionally, but I haven't really seen them with the CF19 or the combo set I've had in play. I'm assuming we're talking about the ball that flies out of the rough - that's all lie, and I don't think you can avoid that with any iron.

I cranked one 30 yards over the green last year. OB in the air. Heck, it landed in another zip code.

Apparently 6 and 9 are different.............

Does bouncing off cart path multiple times count? I knocked out about a 220 yd 7 iron the other day on a par 3....blamed a flyer lie on the tee 😜!

Hmm... I hit them. Not frequently but sometimes they're there. I read your post initially and thought "sky ball" off the tee where it comes off the top of your driver... not the ball getting away from you and overshooting the green.

I hit sky balls too. Not nearly as many as I used to since I stopped teeing the ball up extremely high. Occasionally though, the low flying aircraft need to look out as I make my shot... and then hang my head in shame as I walk the 5 yards to my next shot.:ROFLMAO:

It is extremely rare for me. I have a playing partner that will take one less club from the rough due to "flyers" and is almost always short of the green. I take the appropriate club and rarely see that long, low-spinning ball.

Back