Do You Believe The Hype?

This is why I only update my driver every 3-5 years, no hype to consider because the tech really is that much better.

This is why I only update my driver every 3-5 years, no hype to consider because the tech really is that much better.
This is an important distinction. Most, actually the vast majority, of golfers do not replace their driver every model year. Comparing the SZ to the F9 doesn't really make sense across all golfers. Don't get me wrong, it makes total sense for Rick Shiels to do this. Once someone is engaging in consistent consumption of internet related data about golf, they're entering a very niche portion of the greater golf market. Those people (which includes most THPers) are far more likely to replace their clubs more frequently than the average golfer. I'd argue that some of us replace clubs so frequently we warp the average of how often certain clubs get replaced.

If I recall, the average driver replacement is something like every 36 months. So comparing last year's to this year's driver is far more relevant to the golfer who also consumes YouTube golf universe, but I'd be more interested to see how the SZ compares to the F7, F6, or Cobra King LTD because to me, that's the determination of whether someone who has a Cobra driver would stick with a Cobra driver for their next purchase.

and I think mine came across like I was mad haha

no apologies needed! i'll say this: i HOPE you're wrong lol because if you're right, i will never get better. i need equipment improvements to improve my game!!!

You are selling yourself short. You will be a better player in 5 years than you are now, even if you were playing the same equipment. Your passion for the game will fuel the improvement.

I need to let my M5 go 3 years before I succumb to the desire to replace it. I think I'll be good to go. I finally have my bag at a point where, I'll really need hard evidence that I'm making a good move before I replace anything.

This is an important distinction. Most, actually the vast majority, of golfers do not replace their driver every model year. Comparing the SZ to the F9 doesn't really make sense across all golfers. Don't get me wrong, it makes total sense for Rick Shiels to do this. Once someone is engaging in consistent consumption of internet related data about golf, they're entering a very niche portion of the greater golf market. Those people (which includes most THPers) are far more likely to replace their clubs more frequently than the average golfer. I'd argue that some of us replace clubs so frequently we warp the average of how often certain clubs get replaced.

If I recall, the average driver replacement is something like every 36 months. So comparing last year's to this year's driver is far more relevant to the golfer who also consumes YouTube golf universe, but I'd be more interested to see how the SZ compares to the F7, F6, or Cobra King LTD because to me, that's the determination of whether someone who has a Cobra driver would stick with a Cobra driver for their next purchase.

I agree with all of this and would add that comparing two models so close to release also gives the frugal golfer a great understanding of "can I save $100 by getting last years gear". Which is where I sit, not only keeping the driver longer, but not wanting to drop $500+ on the most recent shiny.

Thank goodness people embraced technology and R and D after the wright brothers initial flight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yet the fastest manned plane ever built was done so 70 years ago. ;)

Couldn't resist. But yeah, I know clubs have come a long ways tech wise to control spin and dispersion, and to create better results on off-center strikes, and will continue to do so. Some of it to an extreme, like a few drivers put out a couple years ago that were way too low on spin for 90% of us. But every year the OEM's claim "more ball speed, more distance!" Instead of saying more forgiving on offcenter hits, or better speed retention on offcenter hits. Is that because studies have shown all out distance is king? Or that people will gravitate toward the option advertising total distance before a club advertising more offcenter forgiveness?

Which are you referring to?

He was just being funny but I am sure he is referring to SR71 but again it really does not matter which plane he was talking about

He was just being funny but I am sure he is referring to SR71 but again it really does not matter which plane he was talking about

Eh, it always matters. I thought SR71, too, and thought 70 seemed a bit old for it. In the course of looking it up, I learned something. Found the North American X-15. While it wasn't old enough either and was more of a manned rocket needing launched from a mothership, I found it flew at 4,520 mph! That's amazing and interesting...

I have a feeling that I didn't word my comments properly McLovin. I apologize to all those that read them. I'm comparing A driver to other sporting equipment I have that has to conform to ball speed limits. The tech there has reached a point of being topped out with mph velocity so what's left for R&D is cosmetic changes, materials, and so one. Very different sport and I should have kept to my self.

Speed is only one aspect of distance.
mans definitely not. Conversation is good.

and I think mine came across like I was mad haha

no apologies needed! i'll say this: i HOPE you're wrong lol because if you're right, i will never get better. i need equipment improvements to improve my game!!!

Your not alone, I do also.

Rather than calling it 'hype' I prefer to see it as highly trained marketing professionals doing their level best to accomplish the objectives they're hired for. It's such a competitive industry and selling year over year advancements is such a tough gig. Some releases cycles will offer small incremental improvement and some will offer bigger gains, and each step forward will make a bigger or lessor difference to each of our unique games. But the fact that these OEMs continue on a path toward 'better' is undeniable IMO. I tend to game the same clubs across a few release cycle because my wallet tells me to but every time I've sought an upgrade I've found my ponder choices to be demonstrably superior to my choices from the previous time I was upgrading.

I am susceptible to some good marketing on certain things in golf and I have definitely bought on impulse based on what I see. I do test more than ever and I have a few places/coach that will help me make my decisions. I actually love the hype machine and it holds me over until the spring.

Speed is only one aspect of distance.
mans definitely not. Conversation is good.
Conversation is good. I have learned a lot by reading what others share on here. Good or not the most popular. Keeps everyone involved. I'm not very golf savvy but love the challenge of the game and meeting others along the way.

I dont buy the hype in the sense that I feel the need to go out and buy the latest and greatest clubs every year but I also dont buy the notion that the limit has been reached, so clubs from today perform the same as clubs from 5 or 10 years ago because they dont.
Having said that, I dont think that you need to go out and buy new clubs every year but I do think that if you were to upgrade clubs every 5 years or so that you would notice a difference.

I'd say it's over 95% hype. I can't say I've hit any of my new drivers longer than my old Razr Fit Extreme. I think sound and feel changes and in my opinion that is still a great upgrade. Best post in this thread is an actual fitter who indicated you will not see much within last 5 years. I believe that overall. That said, I absolutely love new gear and really enjoy tinkering with new products.

But the Speedzone just looks soooooo cool!

I hear ya man, I have no disagreements as to what your saying. The technology that is out there is unbelievable. I'm only commenting that at some point performance limits will be reached and the only changes will be cosmetic. The OP's post was about the F9 and the SZ drivers being compared, I watched the video in question and thought they had very comparable numbers. Is Cobra at that performance limit already and now can only make cosmetic alterations?? I sure don't know, and am probably thinking way to much about this. Sorry for the long rambley read everyone! It's been a long day. Wish I had a golden ticket in my pocket.;)
but haven’t they been continuing to engineer clubs for the past 50 years? why does there have to be any limit?

epic flash is the first product built with machine learning. and that is only one release removed now that mavrik has been announced. have we already tapped out the boundaries of ai’s capabilities in just one release?

we are no longer bound by our own imaginations. the machines will only get smarter. and when materials are improving, and new processes like 3d printing continue to evolve, i feel like we’re just scratching the surface.
I agree with you about the technology out there, but the USGA & R&A have limits to how far you can go with that technology.

but haven’t they been continuing to engineer clubs for the past 50 years? why does there have to be any limit?

epic flash is the first product built with machine learning. and that is only one release removed now that mavrik has been announced. have we already tapped out the boundaries of ai’s capabilities in just one release?

we are no longer bound by our own imaginations. the machines will only get smarter. and when materials are improving, and new processes like 3d printing continue to evolve, i feel like we’re just scratching the surface.
I agree with you about the technology out there, but the USGA & R&A have limits to how far you can go with that technology.

Well sort of. Yes there are limits set (plus run off), but no, do to the way drivers are created we are not there on areas around the face. There are also not limits on how fast we can swing it, how optimal spin and launch can be and how easy it is to achieve those.

As someone who has bought every new Callaway Driver since the 2012 Razr x and I have seen gains in some way with all of them.

At soon to be 61 the new tech has me hitting the ball further now than back then, I have to admit I really don't think anything can do better than the current EPIC SZ triple diamond but who knows.

You can bet I will give the new one a shot at beating it, it would have to be some yards and tighter dispersion.

Well sort of. Yes there are limits set (plus run off), but no, do to the way drivers are created we are not there on areas around the face. There are also not limits on how fast we can swing it, how optimal spin and launch can be and how easy it is to achieve those.
This I think is were my earlier comments got me in trouble JB.
I'm a softball player also and was using that in comparison to this thread. The tech in bats limits a batted ball speed to not exceed 98mph when a bat it broke in. It is then deemed unsafe and not allowed for use. Everyone swings different so longevity is not the same player to player. Again, very different sports so I probably shouldn't compare, but for conversation sake....

I'm very interested in this topic. I play a 2014 Ping G30 and haven't looked anywhere else since. I'm getting fit this week and looking forward to seeing how much (if any) technology difference will make. There have been a lot of new drivers released in the past 5/6 years so I'm likely going to be making several steps up which I'm hoping show a difference both in distance and dispersion. I'm not going to go with any of the hype and marketing talk, just with the one that gives me the best numbers, and if there are no significant gains to be made then my money stays in my pocket.

I get it.

Companies need something to keep people intetested and buying there products right. Reality is that at some point advancements will stop, ideas will run out, and so on. Obviously this is only my thought, and yes I'm am jealous of those using the newest of new.
What part of the world has this logic been right about? I am 40 and every prediction that things will run out, stop advancing, slow down in technology, etc has been unequivocally wrong in every single field that humans work in. Things always get better. That said there is no reason to buy a driver every year unless you want to. The incremental improvement from a well fit driver to another well fit driver in 1 year is not going to be enough for an average golfer to justify the cost. This message board is not average golfers though, we are equipment junkies so a new story will woo us into presenting that $300 without even a slight twist of the arm..

What part of the world has this logic been right about? I am 40 and every prediction that things will run out, stop advancing, slow down in technology, etc has been unequivocally wrong in every single field that humans work in. Things always get better. That said there is no reason to buy a driver every year unless you want to. The incremental improvement from a well fit driver to another well fit driver in 1 year is not going to be enough for an average golfer to justify the cost. This message board is not average golfers though, we are equipment junkies so a new story will woo us into presenting that $300 without even a slight twist of the arm..
Not disagreeing man, just stating what I have experienced with a different sport. That's all I should have ever said apparently. Golf is a great sport, I happen to enjoy it as much as everyone else here believe it or not.

Back