Do you change your golf ball for winter golf?

If I’m making a change, it isn’t for performance. I have a ton of balls in the garage to lose or give away before I can justify buying more.

Not typically. If it's particularly cold out, then I may dig into my stash of e6 balls, but otherwise it's always CS Truvis.

I had considered it, but having played a few rounds in cold and wet conditions and not really seeing any difference I am going to stick with my usual ball all year round

Once it gets to October I usually don't play anymore for the year, unless my schedule magically opens up on weekends, but with hayrides and festivals going on, it's really driving ranges or basement putting for me now.

If I do play this late, I will use a cheaper ball since I tend to lose more in the leaves. Ok with losing some performance to save a few bucks.

Same reason I do in regular season.

I start off with a sleeve of my favorite balls (currently TourB RX yellow) and once they’re gone I go to whatever I have in my bag. Usually Gamer Tours or Wilson Duo-U’s or RZN
Platinums.

Hopefully I start and end with the same ball. If I know for certain everything is going to plug I’ll just start off with the cheaper fare.

I also stocked up on E6 Yellows so if finding them due to leaves, etc is going to be a problem I’ll use those. I think I paid roughly 4.50 a sleeve for those. Once the E12 Matte Green come down in price I’ll stock up on those as they are the easiest to track and find ball I’ve ever seen. They feel like a marshmallow and launch way too high for me, but they go pretty well once you get used to the feel.

I haven't played in colder weather since 2015 due to timely back injuries. But this year's epidural shots have afforded me the opportunity.

All it took was Wednesday's (poor) round to remind me that I prefer to play a softer ball.

I was really surprised that in just low to mid 50s temps the Z-Star felt noticeably harder. So I put the Duo-Pro back in play and it felt just fine. Not as mushy as it will in the heat, but still felt really soft.

So Duo-Pro for me.

Yes, duo optix on fall days, neon red or green works best for my eyes

I jump around between 3 or 4 different balls routinely so it continues to be one of my regulars, but I will play a ball that's a little more beat up than "normal" in those conditions.

never due to the cold temps but only at times due to too many leaves and or muddy and other poor conditions causing lost balls.

Im not a believer in changing due to the temp. Imo (lost ball reasons aside) we should play the same ball we always play. If one doesn't play a softer core ball in the summer they shouldn't then play one in the winter. If such a ball is not best for your game in the summer its also not going to magically now be the best for winter.
In which ever way any ball is affected by cold temps they are all going to be affected whether or not they are softer or firmer balls. Imo if you like a firmer ball in summer then switch to a softer core ball in winter it just makes zero sense to me. That softer core ball doesn't imo become similar nor now behave as though its your original ball just because its cold outside. Its still a different ball that wasn't the best fit or choice for your game in the warm/hot weather and that would still hold true when its cold. That imo doesn't magically change. The only thing your ending up with is a ball that you don't care for in the warm season and are now using it in the cold temps.

I mean what should a user of a softer core ball do? And also fwiw think of the question the other way. Should one who already uses a softer ball switch to a firmer one when its very hot outside? The whole thing just makes little to no sense with the one exception of possible placebo affect. Imo the ball best for your game should be the same whether cold or hot. Anything else imo just makes no real sense to me.

I am this year. I had been playing Prov1x or TP5X and they felt very hard in the cooler temps. I may go AVX for the winter.

I only change for color. I tend to play in the afternoons, especially in the winter. And during the short days of stupid Standard Time, the sun gets pretty low pretty early. The low sun makes any leaves on the ground give off that white glare that always appears just like a white golf ball. At least to my old man eyes. Last year I scored a crazy steal on a ton of green Duo Optix. This year I'm trying the matte orange SuperSofts. So far I REALLY like the orange. Zero lost balls so far. (I mean lost balls that I probably would have otherwise found if it weren't for the white color. Obviously I can still lose them by hitting them OB or into water.) The orange contrast against the dormant yellow grass is a big help. I like the matte red color balls too, but very frequently I'm chasing daylight to finish a round and the red becomes just a little too dark for me. In the middle of the day the red is great.

But back to the question: I don't change because of temps. Here in Texas we can usually play almost all year round. I tend to not play if the entire round is going to be below 40F. I'll start in the cold if it's going to warm up, but that's about it. So I don't play in extreme enough temps to matter much about ball compression. I've really never noticed much difference. I mean sure, I've played courses where the range balls were already pretty lousy and they sat out all night and in 35F morning temps it was like hitting rocks. But I've never experienced that with a gamer.

Yes, to a foam ball for the indoor golf sim. Snow on the ground here. :(

ProV1s for spring and summer.

Whatever junk ball I have in my bag for fall and winter.

I’m not up for hitting a ProV1 down the middle just to lose it in the leaves.

I don't really switch to a winter ball at all for performance reasons, but if the course conditions are conducive to losing balls I'll switch to a ball I don't care about losing.

I switch to the Q-Star Tour on colder mornings.

I have a couple dozen Wilson Staff duo spins that I keep for winter and/or practice rounds, but the truth is that I don't notice much difference between summer and winter rounds with the same ball.

Back