Do you check specs up receiving?

Stryker

#NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno
Reaction score
I am curious how many people check the specs on their clubs after receiving them from an manufacturer. Do you make sure all the lofts and lie angles are correct right away or do you just check them later down the road at some point? The reason I am asking is because I recently had my irons reshafted by the manufacturer. My specifications to them were to check all lofts and make them factory spec and all lie angles at 2* flat. They called me and told me that my 5i loft and lie angle was off and my GW loft was off but everything else was fine. I asked them to correct those issues and they said it would be done. Now that GW I had just gotten to match my set back at Christmas. I had a gentleman who I guarantee knows what he is doing check the loft and bend the lie angle to 2* flat as that is what I play just before they were sent off. I noticed when I got them back I could not hit my GW for the life of me and before sending them off I was hitting it fine. It was coming up 20-40 yards short and ballooning high and left every time. I took it back to the gentleman that set it for me just after Christmas and he checked it. Loft 1* weak and worse yet lie angle 1* upright. That is 3* too upright for me and certainly explained what I was seeing on the course and range. He made the correct adjustments and low and behold I am back where I should be with it. I left the rest of the irons with him to have them all checked last night when I left the range.

This got me to thinking. I know club manufacturer's are busy and trying to pump out the products as fast as they can plus deal with any other work that comes in like mine. I was quite surprised though to find that GW so far off, especially lie angle that far off. It has me thinking from now on, especially with irons and wedges, that I will have every single one checked by someone I trust when I get them even if they are a brand new custom order. Am I being over the top or do you have yours checked upon receiving as well? Have you ever run across this upon receiving clubs from an OEM?

So with the upright GW were you just chunking it each time?

I need to do this more often, but I'm horrible about it. I almost never get them checked. I need a good place to do it, because I don't trust the golf galaxy around me.

So with the upright GW were you just chunking it each time?

I need to do this more often, but I'm horrible about it. I almost never get them checked. I need a good place to do it, because I don't trust the golf galaxy around me.
Digging a lot for sure but even when I managed to avoid it terribly it was still not right.

I have mine checked when I get new iron and have had good luck with them. I usually have checked about halfway thru the season.

Digging a lot for sure but even when I managed to avoid it terribly it was still not right.
Yea I only ask because that much distance loss wouldn't have been the club specs. It sounded like potentially fat shots with bad strike location. But yea I need to get mine checked more. I even now have no excuse as I have a spec sheet from Club Champion with my lie angles needed haha

I check lofts and lies when new and about once each season.

Yea I only ask because that much distance loss wouldn't have been the club specs. It sounded like potentially fat shots with bad strike location. But yea I need to get mine checked more. I even now have no excuse as I have a spec sheet from Club Champion with my lie angles needed haha
The lie angle being that far off is a huge deal. It will definitely make it not only dig but go high and left. I was literally hitting my 54* as far as my 50* GW and had to result to trying partial PW shots on the course the other day. It was killing me for sure. I can't tell you how many times Monday I drove the ball the GW distance and walked away with a bogey.

The other thing I find interesting is it seems most people play their irons about 4* of loft separation between them until they reach the 5i then it goes to 3* difference. Factory specs on mine have them 5* difference from GW to to 7i then 4* between 7i-6i then 3* between 6i-5i and finally 2* from 5i to 4i. I am sure there is a reason behind this that has to do with weighting etc but when my guy saw those specs he did question it. I told him I guess I need to get on a trackman somewhere and get baseline numbers for each one before changing the factory specs because I don't really feel like there are any real gaps. Just something interesting we talked about last night on looking at the specs.

The lie angle being that far off is a huge deal. It will definitely make it not only dig but go high and left. I was literally hitting my 54* as far as my 50* GW and had to result to trying partial PW shots on the course the other day. It was killing me for sure. I can't tell you how many times Monday I drove the ball the GW distance and walked away with a bogey.
3* of lie angle difference won't kill 20-40 yards though unless it's causing you to dig each time. You should be able to hit a club with 2* up vs 1* flat relatively the same, it will mostly just change direction of the shot. Bad for dispersion definitely, shouldn't be causing that much difference in distance alone.

Nope. My swing is so damn wonky...just roll with it.

3* of lie angle difference won't kill 20-40 yards though unless it's causing you to dig each time. You should be able to hit a club with 2* up vs 1* flat relatively the same, it will mostly just change direction of the shot. Bad for dispersion definitely, shouldn't be causing that much difference in distance alone.
Well all I can tell you is that 1*upright vs 2* flat, especially adding in 1* weak loft was certainly doing it. I usually see about 115 on my GW and the best I was getting was maybe 100 and often less. At times it was as little as 85. When the lie angle and loft was corrected, I was back to hitting 115.

Edit- The guy who is working on them for me played on Tour and still plays on the Champions Tour. He told me immediately upon seeing what was happening what the problem was and then sat it side by side with my PW and 54* and could look at them and tell the difference. Yes I was digging some but according to him and from what I was seeing too far upright will make it short and left even when not digging it horribly. Because it made them go way too high it certainly affected distance considerably.

I’ve always trusted them. Idk though since many seem to get it wrong. Odd too. I’ve only had two sets build and the one I got last year was done by true spec and similar to club champion I think I can trust they got it right. Great question though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always.

I check each set I buy whether custom-built or bought off the used rack. My recommendation is to use the same person with the same machine to get consistent results.

Always just roll with it.

I don't check them until after I've tested gapping and dynamic lie angles. I test the lie angles with the vertical black line method and as you can hit your own balls at our range I use the old school hit ten balls, pick them up and laser.

Back