Do you full swing your highest lofted wedge?

Do you full swing your highest lofted wedge?

• Of course.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • No one should ever do that.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • It's my favorite.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I stop at 3/4.

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • I hit it harder, faster, and deeper than everyone else.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Not a lot, but I aint scared of it.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • No - other

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • If the distance is right.

Votes: 22 19.5%

• Total voters
If I have the right distance I will do it

Sometimes it can be easier to full swing a club rather than take less club and use a partial swing, it all depends how confident you are in your distance control

No, I hit it plenty high and spinny with all my clubs. I don't think I have ever hit my lob wedge further than 50 yards with a full swing and from that range I am not using that club.

I voted "not a lot". I will be only if it's necessary to fly it in high. If there's a bunker or other trouble short and I must bring it in high, then I will. Otherwise, I'd probably go for the partial SW in the LW full range.

Not often, my 58 is generally for pitching only.

When I face those shots under my half swing 54, which is like less than 70yd, I'll grab the GW or PW and flight it, obviously I need a little green to roll out but it's the far higher percentage shot IMO, trying to exact a lob wedge with a full swing is asking for a chunk or blade too often, not need to bother when chipping a lower lofted club is easier and more accurate.

I never swing my wedges "full" in the sense that I make a swing to the top and have a full release. That makes it very hard to judge distance or control trajectory and spin.

If I need to hit for maximum distance with a LW, I'll usually put the ball further back in my stance and rotate harder.

If I have a 102-yard shot to a front pin, I'll hit my 58 instead of my 53, swinging just like that. Normally I wouldn't ever expect to hit my 58 that far, but I can if I need to and that's how I would do it.

If I set up and took a full release swing, the ball would launch way up in the air and I'd watch anxiously without a clue as to whether it would wind up short or long.

Unlike the rest of my game, my wedge game is strong. My favorite position on a golf course is 80-90 yards out, because I'm going to put a full swing on my SW or LW (dependent on situation) and I'm pretty deadly doing so.

My 60° is my highest lofted club and my favorite club to hit full, if the number is right that is.

Absolutely. I set up as many 95 yard approach shots during a round as possible so I can full swing my 58 degree wedge.

Absolutely. I set up as many 95 yard approach shots during a round as possible so I can full swing my 58 degree wedge.
I do the same. Want a full shot if I can get it. I'd rather have a full swing than a partial swing any day. Most lofted wedge is still the same. Love full swings.

My highest is a 58* that I know I can pretty comfortably go 70ish yards with on a pretty full swing. If I'm 60 yards out, I'll take a nice easy full swing with it all day. Usually though, I'm taking more full swings with my 50 or 54.

No. Probably 75% or better are 1/2 swings, and the remaining 25% may go up to about 3/4 swing. I don't think I've hit a full-swing LW in probably 10-15 years, and then it was only at the range. Just never seemed to me like the right use for that club. If my ball is down in a mine subsidence or something, maybe. Generally, though, no.

full 58 is 103 carry for me. Great trajectory, and 8000-9000+ backspin for the stick'em or bringing it back a bit in the right situation.

Sure I do. My 60* wedge with a full standard swing is perfect for the 75 yard shot depending on lie, turf and wind.

I don't all the time but I'm not afraid to... it's an adventure! I'll probably be in the woods looking for my ball.

Wedge game is 100% controlling distances. It's a finesse swing, not a power swing. All you need to do is have a swing and tempo that creates a similar result. From there, you just
differ backswing length and average out your yardages.

For example, this was my father's yardages...

130- PW
110- Full GW
105- 3/4 GW
90- Full SW
80- 3/4 GW
70- 3/4 SW
70- 2/3 GW
58- 2/3 SW

That's with 3 clubs and 3 backswing lengths. If he adds another wedge, he can cover 3 more yardage lengths. If you grip down 1 inch, you take ~3 yards off the club. Grip down 2 inches and you have ~5 yards off every single swing, creating 9 or 12 more yardage lengths. He hits every shot with a 7/10 tempo to best produce consistent yardages.

We hit ~200 balls in a park with stakes down every 10 yards between 40-110 and averaged out at least 20 shots for each length. This is how you get better at your wedge game.... tracking the yardages, swinging with a consistent tempo, and matching backswing length/loft to fit what yardage you have.

I stop at 3/4. You should never try to hit wedges at 100% because theres a good chance you will mishit it and even if you strike it pure, odds are that it will spin like crazy and balloon.

I love how many people here are aware that it either is or is not the right choice for them.

Yes I do. But my highest loft is 58.

I stop at 3/4. You should never try to hit wedges at 100% because theres a good chance you will mishit it and even if you strike it pure, odds are that it will spin like crazy and balloon.

I'm curious about this thought process (not saying it's wrong for you)... isn't that statement true for any club? I mean, you don't step up to a shot with the idea that you aren't going to take a full swing because you 'might mishit it', right? Unlike some other clubs, I have confidence in my ability with a wedge in hand - so why wouldn't I take a full swing at it if I know my distances?

I was hitting some foam balls full tilt with wedges yesterday... YIKES! not good... good thing they were foam

I was hitting some foam balls full tilt with wedges yesterday... YIKES! not good... good thing they were foam
Okay, I tried this once in the yard, and I feel like it was a poor representation of actual outcomes. I was all over the place. No consistency. I hit the neighbors dog. Etc. Etc.

I wouldn't read too much into it!

I do at times. Not real often but as the choice says I ain’t scared of it.

Just had to change my vote to “of course”. I had two scenarios in my last round where it just made too much sense. I took a full on-course 60* for the first time in years from the fairway and dropped it to 10 feet and made the birdie putt. The second one came after I yanked a 9i that took a bounce off the cart path and ended up on the #1 tee box while I was on #18 😆 So I took another full swing and left myself a 15 footer that barely stayed out.

Feels good to welcome a new weapon to the bag!

I have that shot in my bag, but only if called for

Post drive is back in action. I will full swing my 60. Usually it’s due to a tree being in my way and I have to get over it quickly.

Back