Do you guys journal your golf rounds?

Like @Ludin I have all the data but what I don't have are the details.
I think I am going to start doing this.
Just the basics, the 5 W's of report writing. Who, What When, Where and Why or what went well.

Yea, I kinda do it here in the live thread.
Taking photos and videos has become part of my process and honestly sometimes it feels weird or throws me off when I don't. Even if I don't live post round I still take photos or videos most times.

Last edited:
I have the majority of my rounds in Shot Scope, nothing hand written or anything.
Yeah shot scope does it for me.

I use shot scope which tracks all my shots, but i'm not keeping track of anything else.

No. I know where I screwed up when the round is over, and what needs work. I don't record every agonizing moment, nor do I get all warm and fuzzy over successes, Particularly during a round, once a shot stops rolling it is forgotten history.

I don’t and never have, funny because I deal with numbers all day long in my job and my amateur psychology is telling me I need a break from analyzing data once I leave the office. Just have no interest.

I have 99% of my rounds in ShotScope. I still have my putting data on a card dated from most rounds for the last 2 years. I have input this I. ShotScope for the most accurate data there.

Most of my rounds are in Shot Scope, but I think this is a great idea. I should start doing this but like Pavlov’s dog I would need to train myself to do this.

Since this spring, all my rounds are in ShotScope. I need to get better at analyzing this information!

I do not journal rounds but I do journal my swing. Been doing that for over 2 years now. Swing is finally settling in and it’s nice to have what works written down.

I used to be quite active doing that and really enjoyed. That stopped when I got arccos and now that I have ditched arccos I may go back to it.

Our group ( late 60's - 70's) got paired with a nice young guy around 35 , who was a decent player, drove the ball beautifully, but the rest of his game was rather interesting which made him slow as old dark molasses. It wasn't his golf but his "LIVE recording via leaving messages to himself on his darn phone" about how his round was going". Yes he did play by play of himself, from his choice of club, bunker shots, to missed putts, you name it he made a message about it . ( He never stopped talking). At the turn, we dropped him off at the club house and had the pro shop assign him his own cart, we were all happy to pay for his cart by the way. At the start of 10, we told him we are going to play on. By the 18th well we were seating at the 19th and 35 mins later he showed up. And said, thanks guys for letting me play with you, can we do this again. All I saw was 3 other blank stares.
Confused Little Girl GIF

Most of my rounds are in Shot Scope, but I think this is a great idea. I should start doing this but like Pavlov’s dog I would need to train myself to do this.
Same I think this is something I would have to learn to do
What gave me the idea was I saw a golf journal advertisement on IG and I thought that was a good idea. It was a little pricy so I was just going to use a notebook.

What gave me the idea was I saw a golf journal advertisement on IG and I thought that was a good idea. It was a little pricy so I was just going to use a notebook.
NOT that difficult to do really. I need three lines on my scorecard to do it. One for Fairways hit, one for Greens hit in regulation, one for up and downs.

If I hit the fairway, I simply put a check mark....L or R if I miss Left or Right.
For Greens, I record the club used in the upper left hand corner, and if I hit the green I add a check mark.....if I miss the green I use initials for Left, Right, Short, or Long.
If I get up and down I record a +.....a 0 if I don't.
For putts, I record a 1 for one putt, a 3 for a three putt.....for 2 putts I leave it blank

If I do this when marking down scores after each hole, it only takes a few seconds. Pretty easy to do, and it helps me see trends in my game.....for example, I know that I tend to miss more greens SHORT, as opposed to left, right, or long. So this tells me I tend to UNDER-club......

Last edited:
I haven't before, but you have me intrigued. I think I may start this in 24'.... pencil and book, "Old School" way!

That sounds about the easiest way, although paying for something might force me to use it.

I barely remember what I did on the hole just played 😳

That sounds about the easiest way, although paying for something might force me to use it.
I agree. The nice thing about it is it had everything kinda laid out for you.

Stumbled across Journal 18 Golf on IG and I really like their product. Having one page of just a generic fairway that you can mark where your tee shot went and same with the green would be something cool to look back on in the office throughout the week. A more traditional approach for sure but something I might enjoy doing while walking rounds

I let Shot Scope or Arccos do it for me. It leaves me more than enough data.

I’m thinking about starting this. One thing I want to start tracking is playing the course in three hole groups, with the goal of playing each group in one over par or better. If I can do that I break 80. Consistently.

So between the journal to track the three hole challenge, and shot scope, I can ID the holes that give me the most problems statistically, and why. Then I can work on fixing those.

Only if I post a score... I enjoyed Arccos when I had it but just didn't want to keep paying for it. Shot Scope is awesome but it didn't work well in my area for some reason so I abandonded it.

No, I don't see the point. Perhaps if I were a more consistent golfer, but knowing, for example, that I missed a fairway left isn't going to do me that much good, as I can also miss the fairway right.

No, I don't see the point. Perhaps if I were a more consistent golfer, but knowing, for example, that I missed a fairway left isn't going to do me that much good, as I can also miss the fairway right.
This is so relatable 😂

Back