Do you guys journal your golf rounds?

Ronnie D

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys so one of the things I've been thinking about doing in 2024 is Journaling my golf rounds. By Journaling I mean going deeper then stats. I'm thinking like goals for my rounds and what I felt went good and bad in my rounds. What my thought process was throughout the round. So on and so forth. I was curious does anyone else do this? And what does yours look like?

I don’t go into the stats stuff... (hey, I’m old)... but, I do have a record of every round that I’ve played since 2011. I list the basics - the date, where I played, who I played with, my score - and any “highlight” information. The listing of playing partners is fun to see and reminisce about.

Good idea. Just don't go down the Fitzpatrick route and record every shot. :)

I just keep basic stats in the 18Birdies app and GHIN - score, fairways hit, GIR and number of putts. I may move to Shot Scope for more in-depth data collection at some point, but I don't do any journaling.

I just do a lot of shop scoping - so it's all online, but no I don't write stuff down.

I have the majority of my rounds in Shot Scope, nothing hand written or anything.

I have most of my full 18 hole rounds in shotscope. I don't write anything down.

I just have my stats to look at via TheGrint and of course ShotScope, the data rarely lies to me... :)

I have stats for the last 2 years in ShotScope and most of my scorecards. The idea of journaling about particular shots and thoughts during a round, identifying a weakness and what I've done to address it or the goals from a lessons is interesting.

Good idea. Just don't go down the Fitzpatrick route and record every shot. :)
Haha This would not be a during the round thing. I am thinking post round I would go over my round and do these things! :) Good advise though!

I just keep basic stats in the 18Birdies app and GHIN - score, fairways hit, GIR and number of putts. I may move to Shot Scope for more in-depth data collection at some point, but I don't do any journaling.
I do this as well. I have stuff in my Ghin App with stats and so on. I guess I am looking more into bad habits, bad thought process did I go through my routines. stuff like that.

I have a calendar that I write certain things in after my rounds. However, these tend to more on the order of brief notes as opposed to detailed observations.

This thread is like a mini ad for shotscope :ROFLMAO: ..I am trying to get better at keeping everything on shot scope!

This thread is like a mini ad for shotscope :ROFLMAO: ..I am trying to get better at keeping everything on shot scope!
You ain't wrong haha 😂

For more memorable rounds or rounds that are a destination, I may write more about it than just stats. it is nice to get things on paper before I forget them.

I have my last 10 years worth of rounds on Excel. Just the date and the course and the score and how many birdies. Comes in handy to look back when you arent sure how long its been since you played a course. I play about 15 different courses so its useful to me. I color code the scores so i can see any trends quickly

I've always kept a paper scorecard for every round I play. I put the date, jot down weather info (high winds, hot/cold temp, rainy) in addition to the score on each hole & totals, check marks for GIR & FIR, putts per hole & total putts, note any penalty shots, and check which tees I played.

I'll add that when I first started really tracking my scores, I used the Always Grind notebooks, and they're awesome if you're dedicated and want something in hand and more old school to track your rounds. It just got to be a lot for me after I got my shot scope so I stopped using it, but the data is great if you're willing to take notes.

I'm kind of a stat "geek," so i've found a website (www.freegolftracker.com) where you can set up an account, then record the course you played, your hole-by-hole scores, fairways and greens hit, putts, up and downs from off the greens or in sand traps, even how much the round cost. When I play, I designate a line on the scorecard for those stats I care to keep and record them when I get home. You can see your averages at each course you play, what holes you play the best and worst, etc. I just
printed off my yearly stats for this season, as I have for the last 4-5 seasons. Oh, and it keeps your handicap too. Like I said, I'm a "stat geek," LOL......

No way my ADHD ass could do this. But I did play with a kid the other day (he is ranked 45 in the US for his age group) and he recorded every hole. Good for people that can do this but no way I’m ever doing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to keep a one note page with notes from each round. Mostly to track the things I was working on or a swing thought/feel or game management thing that worked well that day. I also logged details from every lesson. (Used to have a bad habit of paying for the same lesson or forgetting keys that worked for me).

Really special places like top 100 in world type, I have kept notes about the round and some have every shot I hit. Keep the scorecards too. This goes back about 35 years too.

I track my shots and score on the Garmin app.

But I do journal if there's something worth writing down. For example I'll record stuff I need to work on, basically documenting my mishits or course management / tactical errors so I can remind myself to work on them afterwards.

I used to keep a one note page with notes from each round. Mostly to track the things I was working on or a swing thought/feel or game management thing that worked well that day. I also logged details from every lesson. (Used to have a bad habit of paying for the same lesson or forgetting keys that worked for me).
I do keep a note on my phone where I jot down swing thoughts that worked for me, or something I picked up on the course that day. When you have a struggle day it's nice to look back at it and see if you can find a little spark somewhere.

All my shots are in Shot Scope, but it would be interesting to journal what thoughts and feelings I have with each round in general to know what results in the best scores.

Back