Do you have good course management?

Since I've only been playing about a year, I've spent most of that time just trying to hit the ball no matter what direction. Shecaddie started a course management clinic this year. We alternated weekly from range to 3 hole guided course. I've learned so much in just the last few sessions. My problem is when my planned shots go astray, but I'm learning "course correction" which is beginning to make a difference in my score.

Man, so jealous you're near the shecaddie area - I get their emails. I think a course management clinic sounds brilliant!

My course management is very conservative. Always aim for the middle. Sometimes I do it.

Man, so jealous you're near the shecaddie area - I get their emails. I think a coure management clinic sounds brilliant!

Aim for the middle.

My course management may be TOO good. I think it is the reason that when I move up a tee box I don't post scores commensurate with the reduction in course rating. I think it is because I end up laying up to similar distances off the tee to avoid trouble. That leaves pretty much the same approach distances. So my scores tend to be pretty similar to what I post from the longer set of tees. Does that make sense?

A couple of years ago I never even thought about the concept, but have since then been putting it more into practice

I don't but im working on it

No. It's terrible.

I like playing bombs away golf.

It hurts my scores.

But it's just so much fun.

I need to stop---but apparently lack impulse control.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I practice good course management...no hero shots, no attempting shots I have not practiced (unless forced to), aim for the middle of the green, etc.

I think I have good course management. I try and leave myself reasonable distances on holes I can't reach, and also put the ball on the side of the fairway for easy access to the green. Of course it doesn't always work, but I try.

Do you have good course management?

Pretty good, I think. Generally I take the shot I’m reasonably sure (80% confidence) I can execute.

Off the tee if I just want to get to 150y or closer for my second shot. That puts 9i or better in my hands and at that point I feel good about hitting the green.

I’m still the kind of golfer who aims for the middle of the green... I’m not good enough to go pin seeking all the time from the fairway.

VERY rare that I’ll try the hero shot from the trees. Almost never pays off.

I probably take more risks to get up/down from greenside than anywhere else on the course. Very comfortable with that part of my game and am apt to try a flop or something to get it close. Those shots are in the 80% range for me.

If I’m hitting the ball well then I may take a risk or two later in the round. Last weekend in a friendly game I was down 4 strokes at the turn. The back 9 winds thru the forest and there is all kinds of tree trouble so I usually put the driver away. But I was down 4 so I decided to take the risk a few times and ended up hitting 5 of 7 fairways on the back and winning by 2, haha. But that could’ve easily backfired.

I suppose if the match is close and I need to pull off a tough shot that’s out of my 80% range, and I’m feeling pretty good, I’ll take the risk - but that’s the exception for me, not the rule.

I think we all do that form time to time, thinking we can make a shot and it just doesn't work.
I played with a guy couple weeks ago, at the end of the round he asked me about 2 shots. I told him I thought I could make it thru. Of course I didn't and both holes where double bogey. He told me, "you where playing well enough you could have played back to fairway 90*, hit your 3rd shot on and probably made par, or at worst bogey" Lesson learned.

Tried to follow this advice a few times last round. There were short par 4s were driver (or even FW, these are short) would have me on or greenside. I hit short irons off the tee and it usually worked out. Then would hit a second ball with fairway and it, while well struck, would find the river.

I think it's a strength of my game.

My course management may be TOO good. I think it is the reason that when I move up a tee box I don't post scores commensurate with the reduction in course rating. I think it is because I end up laying up to similar distances off the tee to avoid trouble. That leaves pretty much the same approach distances. So my scores tend to be pretty similar to what I post from the longer set of tees. Does that make sense?

Sometimes good course management means making the more aggressive play. Since most poor course management means being too aggressive, there is a tendency to see anything conservative as smart. In the long run putting too much emphasis on possible disaster is as damaging as ignoring it. Going for the risky shot sometimes can bring enough low scores into play to offset the occasional big number.

Even moreso if botching the conservative play is at all likely. Hitting the second ball into the water is way better than hitting the third, etc.

none. most of my golf is on a short course;driver pitching wedge or less, and a skins game, birdie or go home.

I try to on the first few holes but then it usually goes out the window. Something I should try to focus on more throughout the round. When I do remember, I try to utilize the two club rule on par 3 holes when I am between clubs.

The most common course management mistakes I see are .........

1) too many drivers off of tee boxes (playing second shots from the fairway makes hitting greens much easier)

2) too many green side shots played with lob wedge (less lofted clubs, such as 52*, 48* etc... are consistently more forgiving than 58* or 60* wedges).

3) playing a long club from the rough when the lie calls for a wedge or other short iron.

I do well with club selection, but sometimes play too fast and do not focus enough, which I think is part of "course management".

I think my course management, but, as has been mentioned above by others, my execution screws up things sometimes. I think I make decent club choices most of the time (3wd instead of driver on holes that don't require driver distance, lay up instead of going at a low percentage shot into green, etc.), but sometimes I just don't even pull off the high(er) percentage shot like I want.

Some really good points here, green side shots can make or break a round a lot of times.

The most common course management mistakes I see are .........

1) too many drivers off of tee boxes (playing second shots from the fairway makes hitting greens much easier)

2) too many green side shots played with lob wedge (less lofted clubs, such as 52*, 48* etc... are consistently more forgiving than 58* or 60* wedges).

3) playing a long club from the rough when the lie calls for a wedge or other short iron.

I do well with club selection, but sometimes play too fast and do not focus enough, which I think is part of "course management".

Execution is not always stellar, but I feel the course management decisions are much better now than they were 5 years ago.

Improving big time. I used to suck big time at this. Now I only kinda suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. It's terrible.

But it's just so much fun.

I need to stop---

throw me in the camp of "Why change"? is your goal in golf something OTHER than have fun?

I have moved towards course management and am enjoying the game less. Played yesterday with my buddy and back to back holes I used to hit driver I teed off with a 7i and 6i respectively to avoid trouble. Ironically, the 6i went 27 yards further than my average, had a slight fade and left me the exact punch-out I played it to avoid. That shot was an outlier. Usually it leaves me with a 5i or 4h in, sometimes a 6i. Distance wise, I needed an 8 but had a $%^& tree right there so it became a punch out. But the overwhelming majority of times I play that hole, a 6i leaves me far enough back to get over the trees with no trouble should I fade it, and nothing longer than a 4h to reach the green if straight so it is the "smart" play. But to me not as much fun as grabbing driver, banging it and trying to hit the gap on the left between the trees and the water.

Regardless, my scores are modestly better but my enjoyment of the game is actually decreased. If you are having "so much fun"...does that meet your goals? If so, even KNOWING you are playing sub-optimally, you are doing it right.

I switched because I wanted to play a round at or under par. Have done that now and want to go back to how I used to play and am having a hard time doing it even though I know that I would have more fun even with slightly higher scores.

Have fun. Your way. That to me is or should be the ultimate goal of the game and we can all get there different ways. For some people, it is more fun with the lower score, for some it is more fun with just banging away. I am all for enjoying it your way, not how someone else thinks you should...I am a big fan of the people who have "so much fun" on the course, it is a great way to be.

I like to think so. My risk taking is usually pretty minimal. I know what I can and cannot hit. Plus, I really trust my short game to make par, or at the least, bogey.

I try to practice good course management its just executing it as other have mentioned that's the problem. I am just not consistent enough and the ball does not go where it should go!

If I have played the course at least once, I usually have and practice very good course management.

throw me in the camp of "Why change"? is your goal in golf something OTHER than have fun?

I have moved towards course management and am enjoying the game less. Played yesterday with my buddy and back to back holes I used to hit driver I teed off with a 7i and 6i respectively to avoid trouble. Ironically, the 6i went 27 yards further than my average, had a slight fade and left me the exact punch-out I played it to avoid. That shot was an outlier. Usually it leaves me with a 5i or 4h in, sometimes a 6i. Distance wise, I needed an 8 but had a $%^& tree right there so it became a punch out. But the overwhelming majority of times I play that hole, a 6i leaves me far enough back to get over the trees with no trouble should I fade it, and nothing longer than a 4h to reach the green if straight so it is the "smart" play. But to me not as much fun as grabbing driver, banging it and trying to hit the gap on the left between the trees and the water.

Regardless, my scores are modestly better but my enjoyment of the game is actually decreased. If you are having "so much fun"...does that meet your goals? If so, even KNOWING you are playing sub-optimally, you are doing it right.

I switched because I wanted to play a round at or under par. Have done that now and want to go back to how I used to play and am having a hard time doing it even though I know that I would have more fun even with slightly higher scores.

Have fun. Your way. That to me is or should be the ultimate goal of the game and we can all get there different ways. For some people, it is more fun with the lower score, for some it is more fun with just banging away. I am all for enjoying it your way, not how someone else thinks you should...I am a big fan of the people who have "so much fun" on the course, it is a great way to be.
You make a good point:

After thinking about it--I think the only reason I care to lower my scores is just to prove to myself that I have the ability to score better than I currently do.

But when I think about how much fun I have hitting mid-long irons off the tee---I realize it's not very much.

So the irony is: Scoring better = having a bit less fun in my case

In your case--it sounds like you've already accomplished going low.

I haven't (maybe never will)---Doubtful I have the inherent ability to do it.

Now I wonder why I even bother with this game at all.......

And I also realize I have more fun playing more open/playable courses as opposed to the ones that demand accuracy.

Maybe I should just focus on the more qualitative aspects of the game vs quantitative.

Except I'm way too high strung for that.

So I think I'll have to just work on trying to score better until I hit the actual skill wall--whatever that may prove to be. I think I just gotta know.

Then maybe I'll just play for max enjoyment!

Back