Do you have good course management?

I really really try to play with good course management, don't hit a driver when I don't need to, lay up plenty far back from trouble, or intend to.

Many times when I'm playing a short par-4 I will take a 5-wood or a 4-hybrid for instance and the guys I'm playing with Will question why I just don't hit the driver. What really sucks is when I say I'm playing it safe! Then proceeded to top the ball, or pull hook it into the woods, or some crazy thing like that

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

You make a good point:

After thinking about it--I think the only reason I care to lower my scores is just to prove to myself that I have the ability to score better than I currently do.

But when I think about how much fun I have hitting mid-long irons off the tee---I realize it's not very much.

So the irony is: Scoring better = having a bit less fun in my case

In your case--it sounds like you've already accomplished going low.

I haven't (maybe never will)---Doubtful I have the inherent ability to do it.

Now I wonder why I even bother with this game at all.......

And I also realize I have more fun playing more open/playable courses as opposed to the ones that demand accuracy.

Maybe I should just focus on the more qualitative aspects of the game vs quantitative.

Except I'm way too high strung for that.

So I think I'll have to just work on trying to score better until I hit the actual skill wall--whatever that may prove to be. I think I just gotta know.

Then maybe I'll just play for max enjoyment!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have more fun trying to score well. 42 or 43 for me is a really good score. I'd take that with a cautious approach over 49 or 50 hitting out of trouble all of the time any day!

That said on Friday I had a 40 going through 8 holes and was on pace for a 45 or so. I pulled my 19* hybrid off the tee left and decided in a moment of weakness to try the hero shot with a 22* hybrid out a bad lie. I topped it and then tried again hitting it OB right. It was a not a good ending.

Dave

Not really. I almost always hit driver with a few holes being exceptions. I've gotten a little better. The two holes I play often that I lay back, one is a long par 4 with a lake that pinches in from the right right where I'd land driver and 3w with OB right. It's only about 20 yards wide. I've taken to hitting 4i off the tee every round. It usually leaves me roughly a 5i in but I make par a lot more often playing it that way. But I'm not accurate enough with a 5i to make many birdies.

The other is a short par 5 that you have about a 20 yard wide place to fit your drive in and it has to be a hard draw. OB left and right. I've taken to hitting 7i off the tee because it leaves me right on the top shelf before the FW drops into a ravine. I then hit another 7i and this usually leaves me a full GW. The elevated green is two tiered so I don't make many birdies playing it this way either but in 25 times playing it with this strategy I've hit the FW every time with the 7i. I've made a couple birdies and a bogey or two. But no 7's or 8's. Before when I hit driver I'd probably eagle it 5%, birdie it 20%, par it 40%, bogey it 10%, and double or worse 25%. Now it's probably 10% birdie, 80% par, and 10% bogey.

I'm going to play a shorter course today and I'm only going to take my irons with me. It's still a par 71 but it's tipped out at 6k yards. I'm going to see if I can go around in 75 or less. I'm thinking taking bad drives out of the equation I should be able to do it no problems. The course is really easy except the par 3's. So I guess if I have a blowout hole on one of those to make me go over 75 that'll be ok and still a successful experiment. Just changed my goal to being no more than 4 over on the 15 par 4's and 5's. That should be even more doable. There's only 3 3's and 2 5's.

My PB on that course is only a 70. For as short as it is, as many times as I've played, and as easy as the greens complexes are, it should be a little lower. But almost every fairway is tree lined. So I always have at least a couple punch outs. Hopefully hitting 4i, there will be no punch outs.

Which brings up another reason why I don't like to lay back. I REALLY hate playing the smart shot and screwing it up. I can live with my sucky ineptitude. But when I play it smart and chunk it, that really is upsetting.

I do.

The biggest reason is being a HS coach. It enlightens you real quick to the smart play/decision while you walk kids through situations on the course and in tournaments, then in turn its has finally made it easy to apply to my game.

I have great course management. I know what the proper plays are. Problem is I don't play golf with my head. Another section of my anatomy takes over and it's all about KILL!

Lots of interesting thoughts and approaches.

I like to think I do . At least at the courses I play often.

You make a good point:

In your case--it sounds like you've already accomplished going low.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I actually got to where I can go low for me...not low for a good golfer. On a very soft course I have gone -1 for 9 and hit par a few times. On a real course I was even par for 10 consecutive holes. Ironically all but one of those have been days when I did NOT use good course management. I was pulling driver and going for it in tight fairways, and just happened to be "on" that day.

I’m starting to have good course management. More irons off tees. When I hit a god awful drive my first thought is what can I do on the next shot to make no worse than a bogey. Putting speed has gotten more conservative this year - more two putts with fewer long makes but fewer three putts too.

I still have a long way to go but it’s been a focus this year. I even worked on my punch outs.

I would say that yes, I do have good course management, but like a lot of people, the execution of the shots doesn't always work out, although I will take in to consideration my likely miss when planning a shot to try and minimise the result of a badly executed shot

At my home course, there are a number of par 4 holes where I don't hit driver off the tee - a couple because it brings a hazard in to play, and a couple others where you have to hit a perfect shot shpae to turn the ball around the corner without running out of fairway
Having played a lot of golf at a course that places a big emphasis on putting your ball in the correct spot to score well, I always look at a hole when stood on the tee to see how it would best be played on any given day with the swing I have got

If I am playing a new course, I will play to what I can see from the tee and not try to cut corners where I don't know what might be hidden there

What I will do though, is if I am just out having a practice knock with friends, I will try to hit the harder shots (eg hitting a narrow gap towards the green rather than playing out sideways) so that if I end up with a similar shot during a competition I have an idea of how successful an attempt might be to play the shot again

I think my course management has gotten a lot better. For example, I know I shouldn't go for the green in two on a par 5 with those two big bunkers in front. I know pretty much the shots I need to play. Executing them is another story. Local knowledge always helps. I usually play the same 3 courses.

Aim for straight shots only, and stay away from risky shots.

Expect bogey so less pressure on the play .

Don't hit too hard , always think "OK, this is my best or perfect golf swing"

Depends on how well I’m hitting it. If I’m hitting it poorly then I have to manage the course. But if I’m hitting it well... I’m cutting corners and going for the flag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know my limitations in my game. First go at a course I used to invariably shoot a safe 79. Take what each hole gave. Next time, I’d start taking a few more risks. Didn’t always pay off though. Now, since my game isn’t what it was, safe(r) play keeps my scores down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say it's vastly improving. I'm avoiding the big number for the most part or just limiting my doubles to 1 or 2 per round.

This really comes into play on approach shots especially dumb Par 5s that force you to lay up with a wedge or short iron if their is danger ahead.

No, I tried to fire the course management, but then they asked me to leave and never come back

Back