Do You Know How To Score?

Hitting greens...

I've learned in another thread that to score I need to hit all fairways and all greens, so I don't need to rely on my band aid short game.... so I know how to score but I can't do it.

:alien:

seriously though, keep the ball in front of me and salvage bad shots around green, that's the only way I can score, until I get better

That's funny because I've learned in another thread that hitting fairways and greens have nothing to do with scoring and relying on band-aids is the key :alien:

But seriously, keep the ball in front and execute as many good shots as I can from everywhere one at a time. Touche my friend :)

Last edited:
I feel like I know how to score, but it doesn't always go as planned. I play better when I can leave myself an approach shot of 60-125 yards. I have more confidence in that shot more than anything else. That being said, I can still figure out how to screw that up too and end up not scoring well. My chipping sucks so if I'm not hitting the greens with that wedge shot, I'm in for a long day.

Sometimes, depending on the round I can score, other days not too much. My scrambling game is improving though so I would say sometimes.

For me it's all about hitting fairways and greens. Scramble like crazy when I miss and grind on the greens.

I do, but I need to practice and play more.

2hyjntj.jpg

For me it's keep the ball in play off the tee, and no 3 jacks. Rounds that I control the ball off the tee I usually score well.

Looking at the final score on my card most days ... one would say, I am an overachiever ...

I know "how," I just can not execute my plan for most holes ...

I know what the typical response is (short game is where you score) and I fully agree with that. I work alot on my short game (145&in) and am pretty confident from there. What's killing my rounds these days is penalty strokes off the tee (OB's, unplayable lies, water hazards I thought I couldn't reach. lol.) I'm sure once I iron out the driver play and start striping it straight off the tee, the short game will suffer. Stupid game. lol

Yes, I know how. Doing it is another story.

It's.... drumroll.... get the ball close to the hole on my approach shot. This usually means aiming for the center of the green. If I'm successful, I score. If I'm not, then, depending upon the results of the approach shot (nGIR, chunk, bunker, or something worse) I will know if I still have a chance at scoring. If it's a nGIR, then if I can chip the ball to within 4' of the hole, I have a chance at scoring - if not, nope.

If I chunked the shot and left a 60 yarder, chances are that I'll end up somewhere around 15 to 20 feet from the hole on a good wedge shot with about a 5% chance of sinking the putt. Not much of a chance of scoring there.

If I landed in a bunker, I know I'll most likely get out on the first attempt, but most likely be about 8 to 10 feet from the hole. This means about a 15% of sinking the putt if the planets are aligned. So not much of a chance of scoring there, but I've gotten sand saves.

If I landed my approach shot in a water hazard, forget it. It's a bogey at best.

Therefore, assuming you hit a good drive (and a good second shot on a par 5), the most important thing for scoring is getting the ball inside 15 - 20 feet of the hole with your approach shot. Second best is a nGIR followed by a good chip shot within 4' of the hole. Third is a decent bunker shot. Fourth is recovering from the chunked approach shot. And pulling up the rear is landing in the water hazard.

Back