Do you notice your breathing?

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The 100 putt challenge has made me realize that I may hold my breath when I putt. When I was a diver I had a routine breathing rhythm before doing a dive, and now I’m thinking I should probably do the same with my swings and putts.

absolutely. smooth relaxed "intensional" breath before back swing is part of my turn off my head routine.

Yes you should be breathing relaxed and even the whole time.

No I don't pay attention to it. I have heard somewhere before to exhale right before swinging though

Putting and otherwise, I sometimes must remind myself to breath fully. Easy to let a bit of anxiety creep in and deregulating one's breathing is a symptom.

Haha I ask people this question in money matches. It works to distract them just subtly.
I was going to say the exact same thing, lol! If you ever want to indulge in a little gamesmanship, just subtly ask them on the tee box before they hit, "Do you breathe in or out when you swing?". :LOL:

I was going to say the exact same thing, lol! If you ever want to indulge in a little gamesmanship, just subtly ask them on the tee box before they hit, "Do you breathe in or out when you swing?". :LOL:
I’ve never used it in a THP event but I have in a club vs club match for bragging rights.

Sometimes I notice it, but am glad I am breathing - keeps me alive :p

Yes you should be breathing relaxed and even the whole time.
Maybe by not adding that to the list of things you're thinking about, and just letting it happen naturally?? Maybe?

Maybe by not adding that to the list of things you're thinking about, and just letting it happen naturally?? Maybe?
I mostly agree. I’m generally in the zone and don’t get distracted when I’m swinging, but my putting has been a different story. Need to find my mojo!

A classic!!

Never really noticed. I know there are breathing techniques in the shooting sports, maybe it would apply to the swing? #voodoo

I mostly agree. I’m generally in the zone and don’t get distracted when I’m swinging, but my putting has been a different story. Need to find my mojo!

I think it's just probably something to focus on only if it's an actual problem. I love breathing. Meditation is and has been an enormous part of my life (@GoldenBuff 's response made me chuckle), and breathing is a big part of that. I just think unless it needs correcting, or focusing on that is enough a part of your life outside of golf that focusing on it there doesn't add to the swirl in the head, it's probably best to just keep it in the background. Chances are you will in fact breathe, regardless of focusing on it.

I am also realizing that I spent WAY too much time in the Swing Tips forum last night and am still really salty about some of the stuff I was reading in there. lol

Last edited:
I don't really notice it or pay much mind to it. However, if I'm starting to struggle I tend to pick up my pace and breathing so I become mindful enough to slow them down.

I do notice the overall way I walk to the ball, though. I play best with a slow, stoic walking pace with my head up. I'm not rushed, I'm not panicky, and I feel very in control of things. I don't overly fixate on it but I try to keep this "pace" or "body feel" throughout the whole round.

I got out of this feeling when I was playing with some slow players and got pushed from behind the other day. If I can't let groups through, I need to make sure I keep that slow walking pace, as I play very quickly once I approach the ball.

Honestly have no clue, but I think I actually breath in right before my swing.

Last edited:
I try to get my breathing in a decent way, but don't focus too much on it, probably should do a better job of that especially why putting.

I've never paid attention to this, but now I'm going to.

I would imagine that I hold my breath a bit, but I'm not sure.

I don't know. Through my eyelids?

Never really noticed. I know there are breathing techniques in the shooting sports, maybe it would apply to the swing? #voodoo
I was thinking the same thing. I guess I should pay attention next time.

No

What, are you trying the old game ruiner? Ask the guy just before teeing off “Do you breathe in or out before you swing?”

I don’t pay any mind to it but love to mess with my buddies and ask them if they inhale or exhale in their backswing. It’s a sure fire way to get them to do something dumb so I can laugh at their expense. What are friends for though right?

Back