Do you play better when you walk or ride?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
I used to think I played better walking, but I am changing my mind. Maybe it is age. I still enjoy walking better, though.

I used to think I played better walking, but I am changing my mind. Maybe it is age. I still enjoy walking better, though.

I have found I stay more limber if I walk the course especially after getting a clic cart than when I am riding. Staying more limber really helps with keeping consistent tempo which is my biggest problem currently. When I get fast, I get slappy. I've started as of end of last year to walk a lot more to help stay in rhythm.

I play better when I ride. I need to have both knees replaced, so even though I enjoy walking when I can, by the time I get to the 10th or 11th hole, my knees are really barking and it affects my swing.

I will be getting both knees replaced this winter, so the 2021 season will be the season of the good walk...enjoyed.

I play better when I ride. I need to have both knees replaced, so even though I enjoy walking when I can, by the time I get to the 10th or 11th hole, my knees are really barking and it affects my swing.

I will be getting both knees replaced this winter, so the 2021 season will be the season of the good walk...enjoyed.

Wow, that will be a big off season.

I have no idea since I have not walked 18. I have a hip issue Ive been trying to correct so maybe soon Ill be able to walk 18 pain free. I have walked 9 and cant say I noticed a difference.

I used to think that I played better when I walked, because it felt like it. Looking back, my 5 lowest scores over the past 2 seasons have been from rounds where I rode. Hmmm....

I think it's not just a matter of walking or riding. I seem to simply play better when I concentrate on my own ball/game and don't pay much attention to what others are doing. Sometimes I do that walking, sometimes in a threesome if I'm the one riding alone, I do better. Bottom line for me is that if you can stay focused on playing your game, you play better. However you can do that, the better off you may be.

Almost always feel like I can get in a better groove when I walk. Not sure if it's because I keep moving, or just because you see more of the course/green as you walk up to it than if you're riding.

I think better walking but the scorecards say otherwise. All my PB's have come in the cart.

No difference.

I think it's not just a matter of walking or riding. I seem to simply play better when I concentrate on my own ball/game and don't pay much attention to what others are doing. Sometimes I do that walking, sometimes in a threesome if I'm the one riding alone, I do better. Bottom line for me is that if you can stay focused on playing your game, you play better. However you can do that, the better off you may be.

Excellent point. I think lots of players shots and scores suffer because they socialize too much while playing a golf course.

I prefer walking. It is a better overall experience. But for scoring, I don't know for certain. I would like to believe that my fitness is good enough that walking has no impact there. I would also think walking the course gives me more connection with the course landscape and thus improved focus. I so rarely ride a cart that I don't have the data to know for certain. My expectation could be flat out wrong.

Excellent point. I think lots of players shots and scores suffer because they socialize too much while playing a golf course.
However, I do think we ought to socialize while on a course, that is part of the game and an enjoyable part at that. But those who can still do that and play their own game, really know how to score.

Not sure if I play better while walking, but walking surely gives me more relaxed time and has an element to it that is so much different than riding. Even though I make good time walking, it just doesn't feel as rushed and gives me time to be ready on my next shot while walking.

I’m not sure. I think I probably play the same riding and walking. I enjoy walking more though.

I honestly don't really think it matters for me, although I will say that I enjoy walking the course more.

Walking for me. I get in a better rhythm and am more focused. As I walk to my ball or to the tee, I develop a better focus for what club and shot I want to hit. When riding, I don’t have the same focus, usually making decisions about club and shot after I reach the ball or tee.

Vastly prefer walking. I am more into the game and each shot. Only recently started using a walking cart, but will ditch that and carry again when we can start playing here at home. Unless we get slowed up by pace of play, my wife and I both walk and play 18 in 3.5 to 3.75 hours on virtually any course that doesn't involve "par 5" distances from a green to the next tee box. If we are playing well it is closer to 3 hours but doesn't seem hurried at all. Hit. Walk. Hit Walk. See you at the green. We frequently bump up against (and play through when allowed) twosomes in a single cart because they all seem to play military golf (left, right, left, right, etc).

I feel like my scores are better when walking... There is however, a direct correlation to riding and new courses. Generally, when I’m playing a new course it’s while on holiday and I’m trying to play multiple rounds a day... and that means cart.
Either way, I think it’s mainly concentration.

I doesn't matter if I walk or ride I play the same. I do enjoy walking more though I think

As @ToddJ027b stated it depends on if I'm focusing on my own shot or not. I've walked & rode and played terrible because I was to worried about holding up the group behind me & my score reflected it.

I walk so much riding kind of throws off my game a bit. I just like having my whole bag of clubs with me all the time. I cannot stand cart path only.

I think I play better when I am walking. I feel more tuned in with the course, and also have more motivation to hit it straight instead of a mile left and right.

Back