Do you play better when you walk or ride?

ddstanford

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been finding myself flagging a bit after walking 14-15 holes and losing concentration. Talked with a playing partner who also walks but road in a tourney last year and scored 5 strokes better per round on avg. Wondering if others notice a difference in their scores either way. I prefer walking for the exercise and the time to think about my next shot while walking to the ball, but may have to invest in some caffeinated energy bars for the back nine.

For me it all depends on how my day starts. If I start off good then I usually don't have a problem, but if I start of bad & it continues then I do tend to start loosing energy.

I think I do better walking, but it could go either way really.

I’ve never really thought about it before, but I was riding during the only three rounds I broke 80... 🤔

I play much better when I walk. Better controlling of your breathing, I also find that I can "switch off/on" between shots easier.

Not sure this is germane or not. I used to walk all the time and could do 18 holes and once in awhile 36 with no problem. I "used to", but now, not even. I tried walking today after not having played in about a year. Disastrous! If I were going to have a heart attack, today would have been the day. I played horribly! OTOH, I did have my new set of Hogan Icon MB's and took a bit of getting used to. Much to my surprise, the MB's were not too much problem and when hit squarely, what a feel! Buttery even. Mis-hits not so much, but not really that bad. I did not even keep score, but had a couple good holes. I really have to accept the fact that teeing forward time is here at 78 years old.

Giving my retirement age, I do better in a cart ... but only from an endurance standpoint. The later rounds there is no gas in the tank, whereas with a cart ...

But I enjoy the walking experience, and thinking of the shot while approach etc ..

I don't need to walk for the exercise as I walk my dog twice a day. So, riding in the cart keeps me fresh especially when it gets hot in the summer time. Not sure it is even safe to be walking in 100 degree weather.

When I lived back east, I loved walking most courses because you get a better feel for the course. I miss playing Princeton country club and Hanover golf course in New Jersey. Living in the desert makes it a bit harder to walk the courses.

Riding unless it’s cold out. I like to walk when it’s cold to keep loose and keep my body temp up

Not sure this is germane or not. I used to walk all the time and could do 18 holes and once in awhile 36 with no problem. I "used to", but now, not even. I tried walking today after not having played in about a year. Disastrous! If I were going to have a heart attack, today would have been the day. I played horribly! OTOH, I did have my new set of Hogan Icon MB's and took a bit of getting used to. Much to my surprise, the MB's were not too much problem and when hit squarely, what a feel! Buttery even. Mis-hits not so much, but not really that bad. I did not even keep score, but had a couple good holes. I really have to accept the fact that teeing forward time is here at 78 years old.
In fact, we were all talking about how our age had started to interfere with our success today haha. Isn't acceptance the last step in the grieving process? ;)

I'd probably score better if I road in a cart. Maybe 2, or 3 strokes on average. I just like the idea of walking 18 holes.

Eventually, I will have to ride if I want to continue playing. Hopefully that's still a few years off.

What's the average number of steps walking 18 holes? Whatever that number is, it's the number of times I have to think about my knee during a round. That's a lot of thoughts that aren't about golf. So I ride and focus on hitting shots.

I play better when I ride just due to my bad knees. I am getting both of them replaced this winter, so I am excited to be walking the courses again next season.

I play much better when I walk, but we don't get the oppressive heat here in the summer like some folks do. I also carry, and it's pretty minimal what I bring with me so I feel pretty good even after 18 holes. Some days it turns into 36 or 54. Those can be a bit longer days but normally not too bad.

walking until a point. If it is 80 or less, walking because i stay in my moment not chasing my partners ball or mine.

What I realize post 50 is that walking the back nine on a +85 degree days hurts me. the PGA does not allow carts for a reason- to create a level playing field. I've not had many caddies, but not pushing or carrying is an advantage vs someone pushing at my age.

I feel like I play better when I walk. Besides that, it’s what I prefer if at all possible - understanding that some courses design simply won’t allow for walkers.

I probably play better when I ride... but I want to walk. Of course, playing better is a relative term when comparing my golf game.

I usually play better when I walk, because that is what I usually do. So when I do use a cart, it throws off my routine (which might actually be a good thing sometimes the more I think about it).

Walking, I think. My riding rounds sample size if very miniscule compared to my walking rounds though. I just enjoy walking significantly more than riding.

Even if I had a caddy I could not walk 18 in the summer. However when the wife and I play we each walk nine and ride nine. I take the odd holes and she takes the even holes. works out well for us. I would love to walk 18 all the time, but I am not able to do that anymore.

Riding. Too many parts hurt. Plus, the courses I play now, and all but one or two I played for the better part of 30 years, aren’t and weren’t walker friendly, even with a push cart.

I shot my CB of 73 riding. I’ve broken 80 many times riding. I don’t recall ever breaking it when I was walking.

I dont find that it really matters either way. Id find that when I take a cart, Im less fatigued but when I walk, it gives me more time to relax between shots and plan my next shot.

On holes 14-18 I shoot considerably better with a cart. Not going to lie I do run out of gas while walking. Totally depends on the course though and it's elevation changes.

Back