Do you practice chipping/pitching/bunker shots with gamer balls?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
I don't use gamer balls in the short game area where I practice as there are always Titleist range balls strewn about.

I'm wondering if I should. :unsure:

I usually head over to the practice area, pull out my balls, and slap ‘em around. I don’t have a practice bunker at my course, but when I’m at courses that do have one, I just use their golf balls.

Of course. Beat up range balls aren't going to spin worth a crap. I play Supersofts that have pretty much zero stopping power (not really built/intended to do it), and the difference in rollouts between them and range balls is noticeable. So I'll just take 3-4 gamers out of my bag and knock them around.

I always use what I'm going to play on the course when I'm in the short game area. I don't want to practice feel shots with a 2 piece rock hard distance ball.

I sometimes use retired game balls. Depends how crowded the practice area is.

Problem with a crowded area, balls get muxed up with others.

Most of the time I use cheapie orange balls to prevent mix ups.

Both.

I sometimes use retired game balls. Depends how crowded the practice area is.

Problem with a crowded area, balls get muxed up with others.

Most of the time I use cheapie orange balls to prevent mix ups.
Hmm getting some colored gamers isn't a bad idea. :unsure:

Yes

Busy short game practice greens are half the reason I buy Supersofts. No one questions who's hitting the bright radioactive green neon balls...

Always.

I use gamers for chipping and pitching. I wouldn't for bunkers though

Depends what you are working on. I don't mind chipping range balls at my course that has a short game area, especially if they are already out and all over the place. I won't worry about feel, or closeness to the hole much, just work on quality contact.

My best chipping sessions however, are using ~5 of my gamer balls and trying to get all of them nestled close. I will go around the green to different looks/shots, and hit a minim set with each, trying to really focus in on consistent strike, landing point, and rollout.

I do, and after listening to to the latest Off Course, it makes sense. Use what you game because then you will know what your expected roll out should be with various shots. You can practice, and have the same results during a round.

My home course doesn't have a short area. The CC that I play at with my FIL has one but no balls so unless we take a few from the range we always use our own.

I warm up with the practice balls (these usually Titleist). After I warm up, I'll move them off the green into their buckets and hit a few with my gamer just to check the roll and such. Not sure it makes any difference (look at my handicap LOL)

I use my gamers for chipping & pitching at my short game area on my local course. I don't use their range balls except for on the actual range because they will react differently than my gamer, so it would screw up my already screwed up short game.
I don't use them in the bunker because they would scuff really easily. Plus I don't get free $50 dozens every week :ROFLMAO:

I use gamers for short game practice.

I do.

I have 23 balls (mix of old premiums) in my golf ball picker that I use on the short game area for the range I generally go to. Before a round I may drop a ball or two if I am worried about the greens. Generally just range balls in that situation tho. I also have a wet towel most of the time when I practice short game as I need to see if I am getting the check or spin I am expecting.

I use the ProV's when I'm chipping or pitching to a green. I just ones that I've played for awhile and wouldn't use on the course.

I'll use any ball except top-flite when I'm practicing out in the yard.

Always. Have a picker tube loaded with retired gamers that I use for short game practice.

I keep a bag of balls I collect but don’t play as gamers. I use those for chipping. Our range balls are limited distance balls. I think they spin more even chipping and don’t want to get used to something different from what I will see playing.

Back