Do You Recline on a Domestic Flight?

It is "their" hip, not "there" hip. What % of fliers fit that description? I have flown a great deal and never heard say that to me.

I guess it’s a miracle I can afford first class since I don’t know the difference between there and their lmao

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

I just don't understand the mentality these days that if you don't like something it's rude for someone to do what you don't like. There's lots of things I don't like. Doesn't mean someone is rude for doing them.
People can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't negatively affect others. Pushing your seat into someone else's legs is rude.

I just don't understand the mentality these days that if you don't like something it's rude for someone to do what you don't like. There's lots of things I don't like. Doesn't mean someone is rude for doing them.

It is when it is physically painful...this isn't PC crap.

So should travelers take a survey beforehand so some can decide if it is okay for them to fly? Seems about right...
I think you might be on to something here. We’ve moved on from “smoking or non”. Now we could be asked “reclining or non” when making the booking!

the tall people who don't want a seat reclining into them, they know they are tall when they book their ticket - pay more get more

the back issue people who need a reclining seat, they know they have a back issue when they book their ticket - pay more get more

if i ride a bus or subway or sit in the back seat of a car/taxi, I know I won't get all the comforts - such is cost of no-frills travel. unfortunately the 1% complainers (who want to pay less get more) have gotten their way (as they do in many areas of life)

Except the reclining seat comes at THE BASE PRICE. It's there for EVERYONE. The extra leg room/get off my lawn space costs extra.

Also, in catching up on this, I just noticed that one of the 'all recliners are soulless minions of satin' arguers lives in NYC. !! ? Lives in a bubble. Only reasonable explanation.

No offense to anyone who actually lives in a bubble. Although if you have sensitive knees you have to appreciate that fact, right?

Last edited:
And if you recline it into me I'm going to push it forward to get off my legs.

How? Seat backs lock in place and they certainly don't slide back and forth. you don't like it book First class. end of discussion.

I couldn't care less. Just don't whine when I move my knees from time to time that they are digging in your seat. I have a right to be comfortable too. I am amazed that some folks feel so entitled that they are willing to discomfit someone else just so they can do what they are "entitled" to. I really am surprised at the level of selfishness in this thread.

You are the entitled one. You don't want to pay for first class and you don't want people reclining their seats in front of you. I paid for a reclining seat, you did not pay for more legroom yet you want it.

You are the entitled one. You don't want to pay for first class and you don't want people reclining their seats in front of you. I paid for a reclining seat, you did not pay for more legroom yet you want it.
but the available legroom (or bodyroom if you want to call it that instead) is included in the base price, is it not?

either way my sympathy does not lie with the industry that beats the **** out of their own customers because of mistakes the industry made

It's not that I don't want to pay for first class...I can't. I paid for my comfort as well.

I sometimes recline, but always very little. I believe it's rude to go back all the way. You end up taking away quite a bit of space from the person behind you.

I believe people that don't fly very often don't realize how uncomfortable it is for the passenger behind them when they do this and then, of course, there are those that don't care.

The guy punching the seat should be banned from flying this airline.

On another note, I don't fly unless I absolutely have to. I drive where I need to go. Flying these days is a chore, not something to be enjoyed. You are not uncomfortable with your seat up, but I am when you recline. If I can sit upright, so can you. I will be driving a bit over 2000 miles at the end of March and into April and will enjoy that a lot more than the airport hassles, rude people, and the like.

On this we can agree Sean. Air travel is the worst.

I paid to sit in my seat without getting my legs crushed by some selfish person who feels entitled to be rude to the person behind him.

I paid to sit in my seat without getting my legs crushed by some selfish person who feels entitled to be rude to the person behind him.

That is an incorrect statement. You paid for a regular seat, regular seats recline... end of story

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

I can vouch for Mr Sean. He and I shared a dinner and a couple rounds of golf last summer. He is indeed 6’6” and as nice of a guy as you’d ever meet. Pretty damn good golfer as well.

I can’t imagine anyone having an issue with him. I can also say that he probably doesn’t air travel unless absolutely needed as he drove from the Boston area to Chicago and I met up with him on his way back home when he passed through my area. We played an afternoon round the one day, had dinner, then a morning round the next before he proceeded home. He was as nice of a guy as I’ve ever met.

If he’s 6’6” and doesn’t recline his seat because he’s being polite, it strikes me that 99% of folks probably don’t need to as well.

This type of argument feels vaguely familiar to something in my past, and I’m going to abstain from saying much more as I won’t ever be drawn in to being rude online anymore. I respect this place way too damn much.

I can see both sides of it but I’ll stick behind the statement of if your comfort inconveniences another, outside of legitimate medical need, you should probably not be a jerk and suck it up. If it doesn’t inconvenience another, have at it.

This all seems pretty petty to me. Why are we arguing about this? I know it’s the winter, but jeesh. There are tons of great people here, let’s not be petty and argue about what matters: Callaway or Cobra drivers of 2020? Which do you want? :)

That is an incorrect statement. You paid for a regular seat, regular seats recline... end of story

Almost Fiddy Plus 2
Wrong. Airlines advertise legroom. I paid for my space to sit. Reclining is a luxury only if you are not inconveniencing someone else. That is just common sense in how not to be rude.

Wrong. Airlines advertise legroom. I paid for my space to sit. Reclining is a luxury only if you are not inconveniencing someone else. That is just common sense in how not to be rude.

I just looked on deltas website and there is no upgrade for reclining, it’s part of coach seat!!!
So if reclining seat is part of a coach ticket how in the hell is that a luxury?
Your thought process confuses me

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

I just looked on deltas website and there is no upgrade for reclining, it’s part of coach seat!!!
So if reclining seat is part of a coach ticket how in the hell is that a luxury?
Your thought process confuses me

Almost Fiddy Plus 2
Noted that the thought process of being considerate of others confuses you.

Noted that the thought process of being considerate of others confuses you.

You don’t know me, I am very considerate of others. Still has nothing to do with the fact if a person wants to recline their seat they are not the bad guy

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

You don’t know me, I am very considerate of others. Still has nothing to do with the fact if a person wants to recline their seat they are not the bad guy
Nothing wrong with that being your opinion, but it's pretty clearly not aligned with others (which they are right to believe as well).

That's why I'll never recline my seat on a plane - because I know how negatively it impacts me when someone does it to me. I see it as being considerate to others and I don't think it has anything to do with how much money I paid for my seat, or how much they paid for theirs.

I’m gonna recline. And those against it wont do anything except complain anonymously on the internet.

...if your comfort inconveniences another, outside of legitimate medical need, you should probably not be a jerk and suck it up.

That's what we've been trying to tell the guys who are adamant that people shouldn't recline. If their comfort (when the person in front of them can't recline) inconveniences another, then unless they have a legitimate medical need, they should probably not be a jerk and suck it up.

Yes, I realize that wasn't the way you intended it, but, as you can see, it works both ways.

Nothing wrong with that being your opinion, but it's pretty clearly not aligned with others (which they are right to believe as well).

That's why I'll never recline my seat on a plane - because I know how negatively it impacts me when someone does it to me. I see it as being considerate to others and I don't think it has anything to do with how much money I paid for my seat, or how much they paid for theirs.

Oh, but he's very, very much aligned with others.

Back