Do you think you play faster at a CC or at your local muni?

Country Club or Munis?

• Country Club

Votes: 52 69.3%
  • Munis

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • No Noticeable Difference

Votes: 17 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
Another thread got me thinking about this ... simple question.

Do you think you play faster at a CC or at your local muni? Why one over the other?

I have to say definitely a Country Club. When I belonged to ANCC growing up, I could play all day long, no problem. 18 holes in under 3 hours pretty much every time. Grant it, I was a lot younger with a lot more energy than today. But still ... even with some of the old farts back then. They hated playing slow.

Local munis or public courses are very susceptible to long rounds ... for a myriad of reasons.

It doesn't matter. It's still just golf, and it's my own game. I play at what ever speed the traffic on the course is offering up.

Last edited:
Went CC as the ones I’ve played moved much faster than munis. Think the munis have more golfers getting into the game and don’t quite know all the ins and outs. Once at a level to commit that much time and money to a club players typically are aware of the courtesies.

Everyone is gonna answer private clubs in this thread

(mostly because people who play munis are still out there finishing their 7 hour rounds and can't post)

At my muni. Walked the front 9 solo in 1:10 today and played with someone else on the back (him riding and me walking) and we played it in 1:20. Highly doubt I do any better at a private club.

The course we live on was 3 hours for a 5some walking, now with the public, it’s closer to 5 unless you’re 1st off. The new CC we joined, 3:30 is a long round.

I have played at my buddies club. I feel like we just fly through that place.

I've only played one Country Club, and it was definitely much better for pace than anything else I've ever played in the area on average.

Country Club by a long shot. Honestly the weekend rounds at public courses is getting old and really ruining the game. 5 hour rounds? There is nothing worse. In my opinion a round should be played in 3 hour maximum.

My local courses can be played at a pretty good pace; many rounds where there’s nobody ahead of me so I can motor. That said, I’ve had some very slow rounds there too.

Every round I’ve played at a CC have been either ok for pace, or slow.

All that said, my sample size for CC rounds is admittedly small.

Since the slowest rounds I play every year are at CC's I voted for my local course.

Country Club by a long shot. Honestly the weekend rounds at public courses is getting old and really ruining the game. 5 hour rounds? There is nothing worse. In my opinion a round should be played in 3 hour maximum.
Maximum? I don't think I've ever played a 3 hour round in my (admittedly) short golfing tenure of 2.5 years.

I agree that CC is faster but mostly because they don't stack tee times 7 minutes apart.

I have to imagine CCs are much faster. With membership comes limited patrons and with limited patrons comes more spread out tee times, an actual starter and Marshalls, and hell maybe even better golf etiquette by the golfers themselves

My mini is moderately cheaper, so anyone and their brother comes to golf and they pack the sheets, shuffle people etc so a 4.5 he found is pretty common on weekend

No real difference here. Most of the public moves at a petty decent pace except on certain weekends or at certain times. And there are a couple country clubs here that are epically slow on those same days. One has an extremely active membership, and the other has an extremely entitled and slow moving membership. Lol It's crazy how things are learned and cultivated on some of this stuff.

CC as there is usually larger gap in tee times
Isn’t it crazy that the municipal courses that think they can cram groups out every 6-7 minutes will get them more revenue?
Yet the courses that have 10 minute tee times actually move more people through.
Plus, who can sit around after a round with buddies after a muni 5 hour round and have drinks or food?
Eight hour golf outings are relationship killers.
my 3:30 round with an hour of post round wager settling/drinks is much better at a CC.

Usually my rounds at a country club are less busy so a little quicker

I've played at a couple of CC's and didn't notice a difference between them and a normal round at my home muni course.

CC for sure. The pace of play at any public course around here is slowwww

Another thread got me thinking about this ... simple question.

Do you think you play faster at a CC or at your local muni? Why one over the other?

I have to say definitely a Country Club. When I belonged to ANCC growing up, I could play all day long, no problem. 18 holes in under 3 hours pretty much every time. Grant it, I was a lot younger with a lot more energy than today. But still ... even with some of the old farts back then. They hated playing slow.

Local munis or public courses are very susceptible to long rounds ... for a myriad of reasons.

Augusta National was the course you ran around on as a kid growing up?

I don't notice much difference, it's basically 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

My local club I can do 9 in just over an hour by myself 18 in 3 hours or less. I don't do many CC'd solo so they take longer because we have more people but not noticeably I don't think.

Private every time. Whether it’s my club or when I play as a guest at another club, 3 to 3.5 hours is normal pace even with a “full” tee sheet.

I don't notice much difference, it's basically 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

My local club I can do 9 in just over an hour by myself 18 in 3 hours or less. I don't do many CC'd solo so they take longer because we have more people but not noticeably I don't think.

Same here. I can get in 18 at my local muni in less than 4 hours pretty much any time save for Saturday afternoons. I've played a few CCs where the time was right around 4 hours for 18. Granted, some of the timing could be location and how many courses are in the area - I have a muni, semi-private, and a private all within a 10 minute drive. So there's usually no shortage of tee times available.

Maximum? I don't think I've ever played a 3 hour round in my (admittedly) short golfing tenure of 2.5 years.

I agree that CC is faster but mostly because they don't stack tee times 7 minutes apart.

When I play solo it’s a two hour round. Three hours is definitely doable. Ask @HarlettoScara him and his boys in Scotland get around in under three hours!

Back