Do You Trust Sponsored Reviewers?

I'll use it as one of the data points in making a decision. As like anything else, some reviews, sponsored or not, are better than others. Take it with a grain of salt.

I will concede both points here, I think there are places (such as THP) that do a great job at it, and being transparent and selling the high points of an item. No one should ever do a review and just poo-poo on something and that's not just a golf/thp thing, but if you don't have anything at all good to say about the product it's likely not for you.

I will say on the other side, when I was looking to upgrade some products in other hobbies or parts of my life that there are some absolute shills of people giving reviews of sub par products and saying that they are just fantastic; or fantastic products and saying that they are garbage because of one or two small items.

I have gotten to the point where I trust the people giving the review, and if the person is trustworthy I know they are giving everything a fair shake.

Yep, typing one handed while trying to get a sick twin to urgent care.
I figured.

Reading your (and other staff reviews) here shows the time, energy and dedication you have with your reviews and I think that there are people other places that do not do that. Again, not for golf - but with lots of other hobbies reviews. You can tell who's phoning it in and who is really taking the time to paint the picture.

sponsored reviews are what most "internet" reviews are. THP has sponsored reviews.. Do you trust those? Just because it is sponsored does not mean it is bought.. If that makes sense.

Regardless. if it is placement shill'ing or a hangry hater'ing towards a product. It is info. Take it for what it is worth and make your own decisions.

This thread is a trip.
Im sure you cant help but look at it from a "reviewer's" point of view. so if you take it personal, I get it.

what about from a consumer's point of view though? maybe you're not the target audience for this thread. between you and the other staffer that you know and trust Im sure you have just about every product review covered. probably hard to separate I imagine.

what are your thoughts on youtube reviewers? I think a lot of people here probably take their reviews with a grain of salt, and really just watch them as demos rather than reviews. I know I do.
curious if your experience as a reviewer skews your opinion on those guys one way or another, or if you watch it differently because of your experience?
Im thinking back several months ago when you ended up with PXG irons and you were pumped and surprised all at the same time. did that come from a review you saw, or was it just curiosity? I really cant remember that far back

I trust people i know, most here and none if they are Sponsored. Sponsored and I know them, maybe

sponsored reviews are what most "internet" reviews are. THP has sponsored reviews.. Do you trust those? Just because it is sponsored does not mean it is bought.. If that makes sense.

Regardless. if it is placement shill'ing or a hangry hater'ing towards a product. It is info. Take it for what it is worth and make your own decisions.
hangry hater'ing :LOL:

reviews are tough overall. there really isn't a metric that is going to be true across the board for all (or at least most) golfers. except maybe fit and finish?

hangry hater'ing :LOL:

reviews are tough overall. there really isn't a metric that is going to be true across the board for all (or at least most) golfers. except maybe fit and finish?
The point isn’t to have a metric that comes across, the point is to educate.

Im sure you cant help but look at it from a "reviewer's" point of view. so if you take it personal, I get it.

what about from a consumer's point of view though? maybe you're not the target audience for this thread. between you and the other staffer that you know and trust Im sure you have just about every product review covered. probably hard to separate I imagine.

what are your thoughts on youtube reviewers? I think a lot of people here probably take their reviews with a grain of salt, and really just watch them as demos rather than reviews. I know I do.
curious if your experience as a reviewer skews your opinion on those guys one way or another, or if you watch it differently because of your experience?
Im thinking back several months ago when you ended up with PXG irons and you were pumped and surprised all at the same time. did that come from a review you saw, or was it just curiosity? I really cant remember that far back
I try everything, even those not sent in because it’s my job to, that way I can further educate THP’ers so that when they go out to try things that catch their eye, they know what to expect going in.

As for taking it from a reviewers point of view, of course. Hours upon hours go into these, and that goes for the YouTube reviewers as well. So many seem to think it’s open a box, hit it twice, press record or write some words and done. That is so wildly far away from the truth it absolutely makes me chuckle.

It also seems to me those who have the biggest issues with reviews from whatever outlet are those that believe they have to be filled with negatives or else it’s “sponsored bs”. Any reviewer or site that is calling things best or worst, is doing a disservice as that is not nor should it ever be the point of the job. The point, is to help educate.

The point isn’t to have a metric that comes across, the point is to educate.
educate on what? new tech? if so that makes sense.

maybe the reason I initially looked at reviews isn't the point at all then. I used to look at them to see what's going to make me run faster and jump higher. ya know? until I realized nothing was going to fix me :ROFLMAO:

I guess if someone follows the same reviewer for everything - you for example - they become familiar with your game and can measure performance differences from product to product. so that can be helpful

so I guess the best route is to find a source you trust and stick with them.

educate on what? new tech? if so that makes sense.

maybe the reason I initially looked at reviews isn't the point at all then. I used to look at them to see what's going to make me run faster and jump higher. ya know? until I realized nothing was going to fix me :ROFLMAO:

I guess if someone follows the same reviewer for everything - you for example - they become familiar with your game and can measure performance differences from product to product. so that can be helpful

so I guess the best route is to find a source you trust and stick with them.
Educate on all of it. The story. The tech. The materials. Who the target audience is and why. If it does what it claims to do or not.

All of it.

I try everything, even those not sent in because it’s my job to, that way I can further educate THP’ers so that when they go out to try things that catch their eye, they know what to expect going in.

As for taking it from a reviewers point of view, of course. Hours upon hours go into these, and that goes for the YouTube reviewers as well. So many seem to think it’s open a box, hit it twice, press record or write some words and done. That is so wildly far away from the truth it absolutely makes me chuckle.

It also seems to me those who have the biggest issues with reviews from whatever outlet are those that believe they have to be filled with negatives or else it’s “sponsored bs”. Any reviewer or site that is calling things best or worst, is doing a disservice as that is not nor should it ever be the point of the job. The point, is to help educate.
makes sense to me.

im not saying it has to be filled with negatives at all. I just think that there isn't a product on earth that has ZERO negatives and when you see people saying that everything they try is the best ______ that they have ever tried, it gets old.

they're out there.

when I look at a review for any product, I look for the negatives. that way I can decide if the negatives are worth it to me and I can make a better decision. but again, I look at reviews in a different way thank you do.

Most on the forum probably don’t even realize we have a homepage.

Kidding…

Kind of. 🤣

makes sense to me.

im not saying it has to be filled with negatives at all. I just think that there isn't a product on earth that has ZERO negatives and when you see people saying that everything they try is the best ______ that they have ever tried, it gets old.

they're out there.

when I look at a review for any product, I look for the negatives. that way I can decide if the negatives are worth it to me and I can make a better decision. but again, I look at reviews in a different way thank you do.
A good reviewer can tell you the negatives without being tactless. Most times, you don’t realize what you just read was in fact a criticism.

I always find it funny what issues are taken with reviews being positive because it’s a subjective thing for each person, yet no one has the same opinion about negatives….even though it too would be subjective for each person….

A good reviewer can tell you the negatives without being tactless. Most times, you don’t realize what you just read was in fact a criticism.

I always find it funny what issues are taken with reviews being positive because it’s a subjective thing for each person, yet no one has the same opinion about negatives….even though it too would be subjective for each person….
yeah, that's a great point. I suppose it would be, but if the positives are shouted from the mountaintops and the criticisms are softened to the point that they are unrecognizable as criticisms - that should raise an eyebrow I think.

yeah, that's a great point. I suppose it would be, but if the positives are shouted from the mountaintops and the criticisms are softened to the point that they are unrecognizable as criticisms - that should raise an eyebrow I think.
Why? What good does it do to shout the criticisms when every single golf club out there fits someone the best? Companies love feedback, they love to hear the critical elements, but it can be done with tact.

Why? What good does it do to shout the criticisms when every single golf club out there fits someone the best? Companies love feedback, they love to hear the critical elements, but it can be done with tact.
agreed. No need to come out and completely blast a product.

my issue isn't that they aren't shouted. it would be if the negatives were softened to the point that they don't sound like negatives as you said. if that is in fact a thing it sounds like people would be trying to trick their viewers.
I think most of the time negatives are pretty minor anyway these days. why not just come out and say it. "hey this part wasn't great for me because ____".
I don't know. I may be the only person who feels that way and to be honest its not even that big of an issue. most of it is demo/entertainment for me anyway.

I will usually take them with a grain of salt. Since being paid has a way of clouding peoples judgement and I find they rarely go hard against what they are reviewing.

my issue isn't that they aren't shouted. it would be if the negatives were softened to the point that they don't sound like negatives as you said. if that is in fact a thing it sounds like people would be trying to trick their viewers.
I think most of the time negatives are pretty minor anyway these days. why not just come out and say it. "hey this part wasn't great for me because ____".
I don't know. I may be the only person who feels that way and to be honest its not even that big of an issue. most of it is demo/entertainment for me anyway.
Because it isn’t about me, it’s about the product and if it does what they claim it does. A review isn’t about what fits me, it’s about who it could fit.

And, on thp, we do often discuss those things in articles, and if not, always on the forum. It’s the beauty of this place compared to other golf sites hell bent on shock.

Because it isn’t about me, it’s about the product and if it does what they claim it does. A review isn’t about what fits me, it’s about who it could fit.

And, on thp, we do often discuss those things in articles, and if not, always on the forum. It’s the beauty of this place compared to other golf sites hell bent on shock.
yooo
and I thought we were having a nice discussion about reviews in general.
what the hell?

I'm going to send you a DM.

something that is sometimes a difficult part of a review is that I have to remove "me" from the equation. It's about the product.

yooo
and I thought we were having a nice discussion about reviews in general.
what the hell?

I'm going to send you a DM.
DM for what? It’s conversation, with no angst, no upset, and genuine back and forth? Not at all sure what you read there that triggered this response.

something that is sometimes a difficult part of a review is that I have to remove "me" from the equation. It's about the product.
It’s something that I think is overlooked, and something that separates the thorough balanced reviews from the shock ones. I will say, YouTube much more often gets the shock value there.

But, they’re different avenues for sure.

Back